corner corner Little Altars Everywhere: A Novel - Join this Bookray!

Little Altars Everywhere: A Novel - Join this Bookray!
by Rebecca Wells | Literature & Fiction
Registered by kayters of Lawrenceville, Georgia USA on Saturday, July 19, 2003

status (set by jamieh2003): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by kayters from Lawrenceville, Georgia USA on Saturday, July 19, 2003

Great read - it's been a while, but I do remember enjoying it! Bookray!

Here is the book ray order for this book. Please PM the next person in line for their address when you are ready to release the book to them. If they do not respond within three days, PM them again. If they do not respond within a week of your first message, PM the person after them and contact me. I keep my book rays open unless they get too unwieldy, so the order may change (I try to keep it geographically sensible.)

Nrrdgrrl - Netherlands
Doris - QUE
Kalipriestess - FL
Vicki9170 - FL
DeMille02 - WA

Journal Entry 2 by nrrdgrrl from Johannesburg - Fourways, Gauteng South Africa on Monday, August 04, 2003

recently i read the ya-ya's. in my review i mentioned that one part of the plot did not seem to belong, as if wells insisted on not killing this one dahling while writing. bookring initiator cestmoi then pm'd me to mention that i really should read the altars as well, and then i'd be enlightened...
so here goes.

we're having a heat wave here, hot+humid, so that's suitable enough.
thanks kayters! much obliiiiged :o)

Journal Entry 3 by nrrdgrrl from Johannesburg - Fourways, Gauteng South Africa on Tuesday, August 19, 2003

enthusiastically i went off with siddalee&co. soon to find out i was heading towards a ya-ya overdose. so i first picked up a very different book that had an 'urgent' note. my, that one was hard work. i really thought i should put some more effort in it and then it would turn out fine... that's how we're told it works, right?

anyway, i gave up the struggle and returned to louisiana. thanks to the break it felt like homecoming.

this one is not a novel; these are a bunch of beautiful stories, all told from a different perspective. very refreshing to have some other people talk too.

i'm far from being finished but i guess it won't take very long, so i'll pm the next one on the list already.

Journal Entry 4 by nrrdgrrl from Johannesburg - Fourways, Gauteng South Africa on Tuesday, August 19, 2003

turns out penelopepitstop is enjoying her well-earned holiday, so that will take a while. maybe this will cure my tbr-anxiousness a bit :o)

Journal Entry 5 by nrrdgrrl at Hilversum, controlled release in - Per post of in persoon doorgegeven, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, August 31, 2003

Release planned for Tuesday, September 02, 2003 at controlled release in hilversum, noord-holland Netherlands.

to penelopepitstop in italy, who's back home and deserves a joyous book full of catholic and other oddities.

Journal Entry 6 by PenelopePitstop from Melzo, Lombardia Italy on Friday, September 05, 2003

Just received it, I will read it asap, I already read the Ya ya sisterhood and loved it so much...I'm really curious :D

Journal Entry 7 by PenelopePitstop from Melzo, Lombardia Italy on Wednesday, September 17, 2003

I think I liked it because I already read the Yaya sisterhood, without that background probably I would not have liked it so much. I liked reading the different "voices" of the Walker world, think it's a relly good idea to write it in that way.
So. Mrs Wells...when are going to write the next one? LOL

Journal Entry 8 by talkland from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, October 09, 2003

Oops, I forgot to journal that I received this! I got it the day my grandmother was rushed to hospital after a stroke. She is home now and much better.

The novel is really a selection of short stories revolving around the dysfunctional Walker family. Viviane, the mother is a drunk, a drama queen and just downright batty. Big Shep her husband is a weak man struggling with a difficult wife, four kids and a hefty mortgage, he also drinks like a fish. In fact most of adults do! The children, Siddalee, Little Shep, Baylor and Lulu have their stories of growing up and how it affected them in later life. There is also the input from Willetta and Chaney who are the only real adults around. They are the ones who dry the children's eyes and do the work.

The short stories with the different people telling them build up a picture of what the Walker family home life is like. Viviane is the centre of much of the action mainly because she is the disruptive and violent force to which all the rest of the family react. The stories are both funny and sad, the same as life is.

I did see the 'Ya Ya Sisterhood' at the movies but haven't read the book yet. I didn't much like the film which I thought was too bitty. I am looking forward to that book now that I have read 'Little Altars Everywhere' which precedes the 'Ya Ya Sisterhood' and has many of the same characters. This book has a warmth and vigour which wasn't present in the film.

Journal Entry 9 by talkland at on Thursday, October 09, 2003

Released on Thursday, October 09, 2003 to a fellow bookcrosser, mailed in Eastbourne, England United Kingdom.

Siddalee & Co are off to Wales!

Journal Entry 10 by Starry-Starry from Llandrindod Wells, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, October 16, 2003

Received this morning, thanks Talkland. I have two bookrings in front of this one I'm afraid, but I'm a quick reader and will get to this one as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 11 by Starry-Starry from Llandrindod Wells, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, November 01, 2003

I'm afraid this didn't grab me at all. I have been struggling to read even half of the stories. I'm not even sure why because I enjoyed the Ya Yas. Of the stories I have read, the only one I really liked was the Vivi one.

Thanks for giving me a chance to try it Kayters, I'll send it onto Blacklilith as soon as I have her address.

Journal Entry 12 by BlackLilith from Città di Castello, Umbria Italy on Friday, November 07, 2003

It's safe here on my desk, near others BCbooks, rings & ray...I'll read it as soon as possible, thanks a lot and greetings from Italy!

Journal Entry 13 by BlackLilith from Città di Castello, Umbria Italy on Thursday, November 27, 2003

I'm near the end, and have already sent a pm to SuorClarisse to ask her address. I'll write more at the end of the book, I think I can send it to the next on monday Dec. 1st, sorry for taking so long in reading but I had a high TBR pile on my desk! Thanks a lot in any case and best greetings from green heart of Italy!

Journal Entry 14 by SuorClarisse on Thursday, January 08, 2004

Just got the book in today's mail. Thanks so much BlackLilith! I plan to start it this weekend :)

Journal Entry 15 by SuorClarisse on Wednesday, February 11, 2004

I am generally not a very fast reader, but I simply could not put this book down and made short work of reading it. I especially appreciated the author's foreword, which has been added to this new edition. Ms. Wells talks of a book not belonging to its author, and of a book being a sharing between author and readers, of her readers sometimes finding meanings in her books that she herself had missed. I recommend reading this foreword and not just skipping over it to get to the meat of the book!

The stories themselves are written from various points of view, and in differing time frames. Be prepared to jump around in time and from person to person. The history of Siddalee's family must be pieced together as you read. It's not just handed up on a silver platter. If anything, I felt this added to my awareness that works of fiction are rarely written from beginning straight through to end. Reading the different stories was very much like hitching a ride through the creative process with Ms. Wells.

The book was shipped to Wildflower67 on Monday. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 16 by Wildflower67 on Friday, February 13, 2004

Little Alters Everywhere has arrived! I am currently reading The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. I'm not yet halfway through, but I'm enjoying it immensely! I think I'm going to have to rent Gone With the Wind now after all that fanfare. I haven't seen it since I was 10, and didn't really 'get it' at that young of age.

I think I'm reading these two books in backwards order(?)! Oh well, I think I can handle reversing the information in my brain. ;)

Journal Entry 17 by Wildflower67 on Friday, March 05, 2004

This book is composed of little stories. A different character narrates the different chapters. I loved the chapter called Skinny-Dipping narrated by Baylor. His memories of summer vacation camping with his family and the Ya-Ya's (and their families) was so sweet and priceless. A real feel good chapter. (Too bad the book wasn't based on that chapter).

Most of the rest of the book was....well....sad! Those poor babies, my heart went out to them. What a sad dysfunctional family they were. Oh! and Viviane! My god! What was revealed about her in this book, wasn't even hinted at in the Divine Secrets book! (Unless I missed something!) As awful and abusive as she was portrayed, even this revelation about her seemed out of character. It changes my whole outlook on the Divine book. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't have bothered reading the second book if I had read this one first. Sheesh!

I only gave this book a six because I give it 3 for the great camping chapter and 3 for great storytelling in the rest of it. But I'm happy to leave the dark corners of the Walker family behind. I hope Rebecca Wells writes more books with different characters, because her writing style is marvelous!

I will mail this book to spacystacy as soon as I get the mailing address.

Journal Entry 18 by spaceystacey from Bridgeton, New Jersey USA on Monday, March 08, 2004

received this in the mail today. Will post journal once read.

Finished 03/12/04. Loved it! "I can't save you from the darkness, but I will not close my heart. " Siddalee Walker's adult thought on her relationship with her mother.

Journal Entry 19 by Jengif from New Bern, North Carolina USA on Saturday, March 20, 2004

Little Altars Everywhere has arrived safely in Virginia!

Journal Entry 20 by Jengif from New Bern, North Carolina USA on Thursday, March 25, 2004

Great book. I was really impressed with Rebecca Wells’s story telling abilities. I’m also glad that I read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood first. The characters meant so much more to me because of that. The two chapters that affected me the most were Snuggling (Little Shep) and Catfish Dreams (Baylor). Vivaine really messed her children up. It’s a good thing this book is fiction!

Journal Entry 21 by Jengif at Fellow BookCrosser in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 29, 2004

Released on Monday, March 29, 2004 at Fellow BookCrosser in Postal release, Postal Release Controlled Releases.

Mailed to jamieh2003 in West Virginia

Journal Entry 22 by jamieh2003 from Wiley Ford, West Virginia USA on Thursday, April 01, 2004

Received this today. I will be reading this within the next couple of days and getting it out to mlbish.

Journal Entry 23 by jamieh2003 from Wiley Ford, West Virginia USA on Monday, April 05, 2004

I loved this continuation of the story of the Ya-Ya's. I especially liked that it was administered from different viewpoints and was so easy to read. I will be getting this off to mlbish by tomorrow. Thanks again kayters for an opportunity to read this. I just love the tales of the Ya-Ya's.

Journal Entry 24 by jamieh2003 at on Monday, April 05, 2004

Released on Monday, April 05, 2004 at Mailed to a fellow Bookcrosser in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

via media mail to mlbish