corner corner Golden: A Retelling of "Rapunzel" (Once Upon a Time (Simon Pulse))

Golden: A Retelling of "Rapunzel" (Once Upon a Time (Simon Pulse))
by Cameron Dokey | Teens
Registered by shelj7k of Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, September 05, 2010

status (set by hyphen8): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, September 05, 2010

This is a place of mystery...a sanctuary. Every book, every volume you see here has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens.

Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Shadow of the Wind

Dear Reader

Welcome to BookCrossing, especially if it is your first time here. I am really pleased that you found this book. It is a gift from me to you. If you wish you may hold on to it, but I hope that you will pass it on, either to a friend or loved one, or by leaving it to be found again. That way our book will be on an adventurous journey which we can follow as it gets passed along.

In the meantime, did you read the book? What did you think of it? Also, what do you think of the idea of BookCrossing? Feel free to write any thoughts when you come back to make a journal entry for this book.

While you are here, why not take a look around our website? It is completely free to register, it is safe and spam free and, if you do join, you will receive email alerts when this book is found again. I would be delighted if you wish to mention me, shelj7k, as the member who introduced you.

Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 2 by shelj7k at Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, September 05, 2010

From the cover:

Before Rapunzel's birth, her mother made a dangerous deal with the sorceress Melisande: If she could not love newborn Rapunzel just as she appeared, she would surrender the child to Melisande. When Rapunzel was born completely bald and without hope of ever growing hair, her horrified mother sent her away with the sorceress to an uncertain future.
After sixteen years of raising Rapunzel as her own child, Melisande reveals that she has another daughter, Rue, who was cursed by a wizard years ago and needs Rapunzel's help. Rue and Rapunzel have precisely "two nights and the day that falls between" to break the enchantment. But bitterness and envy come between the girls, and if they fail to work together, Rue will remain cursed...forever.

*~*~*~*

This was a nice take on the story of Repunzel. A very quick read with the obligatory "happily ever after" conclusion!

Journal Entry 3 by shelj7k at Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, September 27, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (9/27/2010 UTC) at Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland

On its way to sunnier climes as part of my Young Adult RABCK.

I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, October 05, 2010

The package arrived safely today - thanks very much! I'm a bit surprised that this one *wasn't* on my wishlist, since a bunch of the others in the series are. I'm sure I'll think of the generous bookcrosser who sent this book to me while I'm enjoying it. :)

I love the gorgeous braid on the cover of this copy - wish I could do that!

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, October 30, 2010

This is a lovely re-telling of the story of Rapunzel. The author's note at the end is worth reading for an explanation of the biggest change in the traditional story. Here's another copy on my shelf.

From the Prologue:

It began with a theft and ended with a gift. And, if I were truly impossible as it once pleased Rue to claim, I'd demonstrate it now. Stop right there, I'd tell you. That's really all you need to know about the story of my life. Thank you very much for coming, but you might as well go home now.

Except there is this problem:

A beginning and an ending, although satisfying in their own individual ways, are simply that. A start and a conclusion, nothing more. It's what comes in between that does the work, that builds the life and tell the story. Believing you can see the second while still busy with the first can be a dangerous mistake, a fact of life sometimes difficult for the young to grasp.

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Manoa Laundry in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, October 31, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (10/30/2010 UTC) at Manoa Laundry in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Released for DragonGoddess's Tick Tock challenge and Jare's Chills & Spills challenge.

This book was set free to find a new reader; I'm so glad you've found it!

If you're new to Bookcrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this wonderful free and anonymous community and learn about what it has to offer.

Free your books - help spread the words!