corner corner A drink Before the War

A drink Before the War
by Dennis Lehane | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by Diabetes-3136 of Croydon, Victoria Australia on 9/1/2010

status (set by KKslibrary): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Diabetes-3136 from Croydon, Victoria Australia on Saturday, December 04, 2010

This copy purchased today from Croydon Market Lotto, Shop 19 Croydon Centro Shopping Centre, 5-15 Kent Avenue, Croydon, for local or themed release.

From back cover:
"Patrick Kenzie and Angelo Gennaro are tough private investigators who know the blue-collar neighbourhoods and ghettos of Boston's Dorchester section as only natives can. Working out of an old church belfry, Kenzie and Gennaro take on a seemingly simple assignment for a prominent politician: uncover the whereabouts of Jenna Angeline, a black cleaning woman who has allegedly stolen confidential Statehouse documents.

But finding Jenna proves easy compared to staying alive once they have. The investigation escalates, implicating members of Jenna's family and rival gang leaders, while uncovering extortion, assassination, and child prostitution extending from bombed-out ghetto streets to the highest levels of state government."

Book has been neatly covered to protect it on its journey, with an official BookCrossing sticker on the front.

Journal Entry 2 by Diabetes-3136 at Della Nonna OBCZ, QV in Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, December 05, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (12/5/2010 UTC) at Della Nonna OBCZ, QV in Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Book being left during the Christmas Meet-Up at around 1pm on the shelf with other books at around 2.20pm Sunday, December 5 2010.

Happy reading !

FYI: Della Nonna QV.
PS: Did you see the BookCrossing magnet ?
PPS: 'QV' Does NOT automatically mean 'Queen Victoria' as in Elizabeth Street Market.

Journal Entry 3 by wingJean-Solwing at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, February 20, 2011

This book had been sitting on the OBCZ shelf for a while so I took it home today after the BC meetup. I've never read any Lehane so this could be the opportunity, alternatively I'll wild release it at some point

Journal Entry 4 by wingJean-Solwing at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, August 04, 2018

Gee this one had been on my TBR shelf for a while! I have gathered a few Lehane books over the past few years, this one amongst them but somehow never got round to reading any...until I got stuck without a book to read at a job assignment in a hospital a few months ago. I ended up visiting the hospital op shop t and there was the latest Lehane release. Checked the reviews on Goodreads and they were really good, so I figured the time had come (and bought yet another one of his books!). It was read in 24 hours and now I'm hooked.

So this one is the second novel of his I have read to date. Besides being an excellent gumshoe novel with great characters, it is also so aware of its social and political context in the mid-90s in the US. Reading it in 2018 sends shivers down the spine. Lehane got it spot on and also foresaw what was ahead. A worthwhile read.

And now I'd better get ready for a third Lehane novel in a few months as I have 2 more to go on Mt TBR! Thanks Diabetes -3136, really appreciated this one.

Journal Entry 5 by wingJean-Solwing at Henry and the Fox in Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, September 22, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (9/23/2018 UTC) at Henry and the Fox in Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Monthly BC meetup release.

Journal Entry 6 by KKslibrary at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, September 23, 2018

Caught at Meetup today