corner corner The Book Boy

The Book Boy
by Joanna Trollope | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingBoekentrolwing of Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on 8/31/2010

status (set by arabd): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Synopsis:
"Alice is 38 and has a house, a husband, two teenage children and a part-time job. She thinks she ought to be happy, but he isn't. Instead she feels that she has vanished, that she is like something lost down the back of the sofa. Because Alice has a secret that is never spoken of in the family: she can't read. Now timid, quiet Alice must start out on her own brave journey, and for it she chooses the strangest companion. For the first time in her life, she knows what she wants and she is going to get it. With the help of the book boy."

Journal Entry 2 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, May 01, 2011

I liked this book. It was a quick read. At times funny, at times very sad.
What struck me most, was that it was a book of hope. A woman with two teenage children can't read meets a teenage boy, of whom everyone says he's good for nothing. Both of them want something and in the end they help each other achieve it.
Against the current that took them in the opposite direction for so long, they get together and surprise everyone around them.
Loved it!

I think I'll put this one in the book box that'll come my way shortly.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, May 05, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (5/6/2011 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

A nice short story about something that has fascinated me for a long time: illiteracy. How on earth is it possible that there are people who can't read, when all children are supposed to attend school from the age of 4 years and up?

This book didn't answer that question directly, but it showed how many problems illiteracy can cause in daily life.

I liked it a lot, so off it goes into Bloedengel's "Rather Random Book Box". I hope it'll find a new reader that likes it too!

Journal Entry 4 by Foxears at Linköping, Östergötland Sweden on Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I took this book out of the bookbox. It seams to be easy read but still very nice! :)

Journal Entry 5 by Foxears at Linköping, Östergötland Sweden on Thursday, September 01, 2011

TO CHINA: This book will follow me with my smaller selection of bookcrossing books when I move to China.

Journal Entry 6 by Foxears at Beijing 北京市, Beijing China on Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Well, this book is such a short read that it is hard to say anything more than that it filled it's purpose of being short and easy to read. The story was good, and I have nothing bad to say about it. Maybe not my kind of book, but as a quick read close to the end of a 24 hour readathon, it was really nice.

Journal Entry 7 by Foxears at Beijing 北京市, Beijing China on Friday, July 13, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (7/9/2012 UTC) at Beijing 北京市, Beijing China

Late send out to the winner for my first bookaversery RABCK

Journal Entry 8 by Camikatzy at Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal Mexico on Monday, August 06, 2012

This book arrived from China a few days ago, I didn’t have the time to register it and since it had no notes I’ve just found it was Foxears who send it to me as a RABCK Price. Thank you very much! I started t reading it today and I think I will finish soon.

Journal Entry 9 by Camikatzy at Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal Mexico on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

As I said, I finished reading it in one day. It was nice but just that, nothing much to say. I liked how it talks about reading as a way of freedom. Thank you again Foxears for sharing it, it's now available if anyone wants to read it.

Journal Entry 10 by arabd at Toluca de Lerdo, Estado de México Mexico on Sunday, December 28, 2014

I picked up it in the last bookcrossing reunion. I started read it a few days ago. Thanks for share it.

Journal Entry 11 by arabd at Toluca de Lerdo, Estado de México Mexico on Sunday, January 04, 2015

It suppose that at least I wanted to read one book in english per year, but the past year, I did not, so this is the first book in 2015 and I enjoyed it!

Thanks for sharing it!

Journal Entry 12 by arabd at Polanco, Distrito Federal Mexico on Monday, July 04, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (6/24/2016 UTC) at Polanco, Distrito Federal Mexico

To sharing with Calypso. Enjoy it!