corner corner The Straw Men

The Straw Men
by Michael Marshall | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingearthcaroleannewing of Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, August 30, 2010

status (set by dutch-book): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, August 30, 2010

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. If you’re new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site (www.bookcrossing.com), please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join.

I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, earthcaroleanne, as your referring member. When you’ve finished reading this book and are ready to send it on its way again, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Happy BookCrossings!

Journal Entry 2 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, August 30, 2010

Fourteen-year-old Sarah Becker has been abducted, snatched from a busy shopping precinct in downtown LA. Judging from the state of the girls whose bodies have already been found, her long hair will be hacked off and she will be tortured. She has about a week to live.

Former LA homicide detective John Zandt has an inside track on the perpetrator - his own daughter was one of the victims two years ago. But they key to Sarah's whereabouts lies with Wark Hopkins, a man with a past so secret not even he knows about it. His parents have just died in a car accident, but they leave Ward a bizarre message that leads him to question everything he once believed to be true. As he begins to investigate his own past, Ward finds himself drawn into the shadowy, sinister world of the Straw Man - and into the desperate race to find Sarah, before her time runs out.

Journal Entry 3 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 30, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (10/1/2010 UTC) at Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom

Bought this for the NSS at the Swindon Uncon.

Journal Entry 4 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I'm an idiot, which is something I seem to say a lot on this website. I never bought this for the Uncon but for a paperback swap. Fortunately I realised before I took it to Swindon with me. I have however read it and loved it. I've had Michael Marshall recommended to me before but this is the first book of his I've read, and I'll certainly be looking for more. I really had no idea how the two stories were going to link and I didn't see it coming. Towards the end I found myself engrossed in the chase and was reading at the same speed.

Journal Entry 5 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (9/14/2010 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Now on it's way to as part of the paperback bookswap challenge.

Journal Entry 6 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Thank you very much for sending this to me! I found it when I came back from holidays, and I am really looking forward to reading it! Thanks for granting one of my Wishes!
Thanks for the lovely postcard as well! :)
Eva

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, March 24, 2012

I really enjoyed this book; once again, thanks for granting my wish, Earthcaroleann!
Reading it has been a real rollercoaster, with very credible characters (sometimes larger than life!) and intertwinning plots which finally come together at the end.
Some of the mysteries are kept unsolved, which adds to the general atmosphere of uncertainty and suspense.
To quote Stephen King: "Brilliantly written and scary as hell. A mastepiece."
Mr. Marshall (see pic) surely knows how to write! I "met" him through a collection of short stories, and I cannot wait to lay my hands in more novels of him! A real discovery!
Soon to be sent to the winner of a Sweepstakes Draw... who also has it on her WishList! :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, March 30, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/30/2012 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent to the winner of the 9th European Birthday Sweepstaekes, who has her on her WishList.
A little extra something goes along, to compensate for the delay.
I hope you'll enjoy it! :)
Eva

Journal Entry 9 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Thank you very much for this book from my wish list :-) I look forward to read it very much!
The was no need to put something extra in the envelope, I didn't mind waiting at all. The little extra is also very much appreciated, I don't suppose the chocolate will live past this evening though, but.... I think you don't mind.

Journal Entry 10 by wingBoekentrolwing at Bij een meeting in Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/28/2012 UTC) at Bij een meeting in Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

Hallo, gelukkige vinder!
Wat leuk dat je op deze pagina kijkt. Als je dit leest, heb je een boek gevonden, een cadeautje van mij voor jou. Veel plezier ermee!
Het zou fijn zijn als je meldt dat je het boek gevonden hebt. Dat kan gewoon in het Nederlands. Daarna kun je het lezen en, als je wilt, hier nog eens schrijven wat je er van vond.
Je mag het ook aan iemand anders geven, of het gewoon weer ergens achterlaten. Het zou leuk zijn als je dan ook een release entry zou schrijven, om te vertellen waar je het achtergelaten hebt.
Wil je het boek op zijn reis volgen, meld je dan aan als nieuwe bookcrosser (www.bookcrossing.com). Zou je mij (BoekenTrol) dan willen opgeven als referent? Bedankt!
De Nederlandse uitleg vind je op www.bookcrossing.nl
Heel veel plezier gewenst!

Journal Entry 11 by wingdutch-bookwing at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Took it with me from the mini-meeting. Extra compelled to read it now I have read the other journal entries.