corner corner Cider With Rosie

by Laurie Lee | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Hayes13 of Roma, Lazio Italy on 8/29/2010

status (set by Hayes13): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Hayes13 from Roma, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Classic... the cover of my book (see picture here at left) is even worse than the cover shown! I think I'll put the sticker on it so you can't see it! I wouldn't want to put you off such a wonderful book.

At all times wonderfully evocative and poignant, Cider With Rosie is a charming memoir of Laurie Lee's childhood in a remote Cotswold village, a world that is tangibly real and yet reminiscent of a now distant past.

In this idyllic pastoral setting, unencumbered by the callous father who so quickly abandoned his family responsibilities, Laurie's adoring mother becomes the centre of his world as she struggles to raise a growing family against the backdrop of the Great War.

The sophisticated adult author's retrospective commentary on events is endearingly juxtaposed with that of the innocent, spotty youth, permanently prone to tears and self-absorption.

Rosie's identity from the novel Cider with Rosie was kept secret for 25 years. She was Rose Buckland, Lee's cousin by marriage.

Journal Entry 2 by Hayes13 at Pizzeria 'O Masto in Roma, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/10/2012 UTC) at Pizzeria 'O Masto in Roma, Lazio Italy

Hello Happy Reader!! I'm so glad you found the book that I released "in the wild". I hope you will make a journal entry to tell me where and when you found it.

This Book is taking part in Vekiki's Bookcrossing 2012 Monopoly Challenge. This is Turn 8 for Team Iron: "Food and Drink", so here is "Cider With Rose" at my favorite Pizzeria!

I'm sorry I didn't have my camera, which is a shame, as my pizza was spectacularly beautiful, slathered in capers and olives and oregano!

Se vuoi trovare un luogo sicuro di rilascio/ritrovamento di libri (OCZ=Official Crossing Zone) qui trovi l'elenco delle OCZ italiane