corner corner Paddy's puzzle :

Paddy's puzzle :
by Fiona Kidman | Women's Fiction
Registered by wingfuturecatwing of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, July 16, 2003

status (set by Chrissyau): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, July 16, 2003

From the Theatre Royal booksale.

=+=

Journal Entry 2 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, February 18, 2005

A tale of life at the bottom of the heap in Hamilton during the Depression, and in Auckland during WWII. There's not a lot I can say about the book without giving away massive spoilers, but I will say that the ending is very satisfying (though it was close to making me cry!)

I was a bit irritated though, that Kidman misquoted the lyrics of a couple of war-era songs (which my Granny used to sing with us, so I know them very well). In particular, she seriously mangled 'Mairzy Doats' - the correct version is:

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you

If the words sound queer and funny to your ear
A little bit jumbled and jivey
Sing, "Mares eat oats and does eat oats
And little lambs eat ivy"

Oh, Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you
A kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you
Of course, it's possible that there was a different version sung in Auckland, but it still irritated me that she got it wrong!

To be released at the NZBC Convention.

=+=

Journal Entry 3 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, March 24, 2005

This book is going in a goody bag for the NZBC Convention - hope whoever gets it has a fantastic convention!

=+=

Journal Entry 4 by wingSkyringwing from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, March 25, 2005

Having a fantastic convention!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSkyringwing from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, April 19, 2005

It's a puzzle to work out where to let this one go. I may leave it at the wharves down the hill, where so many US combat troops left for the war, seeing as how the book deals with a US troop in New Zealand.

Journal Entry 6 by wingSkyringwing at Fort Mason in San Francisco, California USA on Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (4/20/2005 UTC) at Fort Mason in San Francisco, California USA

And that's pretty much what I did, leaving it on the historical marker.

Journal Entry 7 by Chrissyau from Wodonga, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, April 27, 2005

I was SO thrilled to find a book crossing book!! I was on holidays and found it on the historical marker where Skyring left it. I've just started reading it, and plan to release it when I'm through.