corner corner Rush Home Road

Rush Home Road
by Lori Lansens | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingwildboarhunterwing of Rodgau, Hessen Germany on 8/17/2010

status (set by Mai-day): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingwildboarhunterwing from Rodgau, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Looks interesting.

A wonderful book, I enjoyed reading very much!

Journal Entry 2 by wingwildboarhunterwing at Meetup Frankfurt in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (10/12/2010 UTC) at Meetup Frankfurt in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany

Kommt mit ins Kish. Gute Reise und viel Spass beim Lesen!:-)

Journal Entry 3 by wingolagoriewing at Oberursel, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Ich habe das Buch heute auf dem Treffen im persischen Restaurant eingefangen und freue mich schon darauf, es zu lesen.

Journal Entry 4 by wingolagoriewing at Oberursel, Hessen Germany on Monday, May 30, 2011

"It stinks of piss in the room," reads the grabby, gritty opening sentence of Rush Home Road. A five-year-old girl is noticing that stink: Sharla Cody, a neglected, mixed-race girl, unwanted by her trailer park mother Collette.

What Sharla actually smells isn't urine but the odor of a bouquet of small white flowers called Alyssum in another trailer. It belongs to Addy Shadd, "an old, cigarette-smoking coloured lady from the mud lane of the Lakeview trailer park, twenty miles outside of Chatham, Ontario." Addy and the runny-nosed little "half-and-half" Sharla will fall into a strange sort of mother-daughter relationship that will form the deep core of the novel, set in 1978. We discover bit by bit Addy's life story - in the end all parts fit together.

-----

I finally read this fantastic, wonderful, awesome book. I like the style of writing, the persons in the book, the storyline ... everything :-) It is funny, sad, tragic ... and I cried a LOT. I also learned a lot about the history of black people in Canada.

Thank you so much for sharing this book with me.

Zählt für Kanada.

Journal Entry 5 by wingolagoriewing at BCUK Unconvention 2011 in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 05, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (9/23/2011 UTC) at BCUK Unconvention 2011 in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

PLEASE do not wild release this book. Thank you!

Hello! Bookcrossing is a online community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. We are curious to see how far and wide it will travel and how its readers like it. Feel free to read and keep this book, pass it on to a friend or leave it somewhere else for the next reader. If you journal this book as a member, then you will hear from the book as it travels around. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by Mai-day at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Was passed this at the UK Unconvention. My mum would like to read it then I'll find out who's next on the ring and send it to them.