corner corner Betty-san

Betty-san
by Michiko Yamamoto | Literature & Fiction
Registered by okyrhoe of Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on 8/17/2010

status (set by k-line): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Four stories that offer a new perspective on the choices faced by women who can no longer accept what they once took for granted.

Betty-san: stories by Michiko Yamamoto
Original title: Betti-san no niwa. Translated by Geraldine Harcourt, 1983. Kodansha International (Tokyo 1992), ISBN 0-87011-736-X, ISBN4-7700-1236-5, 9780870117367. Japan's Women Writers series.

Akutagawa Award for Fiction, 1972.
Reviewed in the NY Times.

- Betty-san
Almost cinematic portrayal of Yuko/Betty, I could 'see' her so vividly.
- Father Goose
Simple, almost like a traditional tale. I liked this one a lot.
- Powers
Interesting story about suburbian angst.
- Chair in the Rain
The most complex of the stories, rich in emotion and symbolism.

Journal Entry 2 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Reserved for the East Asian VBB organized by ApoloniaX.

Journal Entry 3 by okyrhoe at Book Box, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (10/6/2010 UTC) at Book Box, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Selected by megami-no-ushi. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, October 18, 2010

It arrived in the mail this morning and I'm very excited to read it! I have read a couple other Akutagawa prize winners before so I'm expecting good things from this book! I'm hoping that since it's short stories I'll be able to sneak in a couple in between the various VBB TBRs and book rings coming in at the moment!

Journal Entry 5 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, October 28, 2010

The stories were a very interesting, yet sad look at the way Japanese women are constrained by social roles. 3 of the four stories take place in Australia and the fourth in Tokyo, with each woman representing a specific role. Betty-san, the war bride, who raised 3 biracial sons in her Australian husband's hometown. Tomoko, the young pregnant wife waiting in Tokyo while her husband is overseas on business. Asako, the mother trying to raise her young daughter in Australia, where her husband has been transfered. Finally, Nakako, the young copywriter who put her life on hold to move to Australia when her husband was transferred, at the end of her tether from no life outside her house.

This book is reserved for the Japanese authors VBB.

Journal Entry 6 by megami-no-ushi at VBB, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Friday, November 19, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (11/18/2010 UTC) at VBB, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

One of my contributions to the Japanese author's VBB on it's way to Finland! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Received with thanks! And thank you for the chocolates, too! No fear of them melting, we have -15°C at the moment. Brrr...

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, November 21, 2013

People say Finnish literature is bleak, but I find Japanese literature to be much bleaker. I used to think it was just the case with newer Japanese literature, but this proves it goes longer back. So even though this was interesting, and well written of course, I can't say I enjoyed reading it. I just find it really hard to relate to Japanese mentality, which to me seems to be so emotionless and cold - or that's how it comes across in literature anyway, I've never been to Japan and can't claim to really know anything about it (but I do love sushi!).

Journal Entry 9 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Wow, what a nice surprise! I like short stories and am always keen on reading about cultures not so familiar to me. This little book looks really interesting. I scanned it a little and noticed there are some lovely illustrations. Yummy. I like the bookplate, too. It seems to a bit loose, though, so maybe I'll maybe it'll need some more glue.
And the postcard: Too young to die by Yoshimoto Nara (2004). Cool.
Thank you so much, Annimanni!

Michiko Yamamoto at Wikipedia

Journal Entry 10 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, February 26, 2015

Like okyrhoe, also I was watching the opening & title story, Betty-san, instead of reading te novelette. It really is a film-like story, and I really enjoyed it. My favourite story, however, was Father Goose — even if I didn't like Tomoko very much.
Betty-san is one of those books I carried around with me. I read it little by little during bus rides, coffee breaks etc. maybe that's why I can't remember anything about Powers. But the closing story, Chair in the Rain, I liked a lot.
At the end of day, what I liked most in these stories was the way Yamamoto described living in a foreign culture and experiencing otherness sometimes even in your own home. I also liked the descriptive way Yamamoto tells her stories. They may be bleak—life sometimes is—but they are not cold or emotionless. To me, betty-san was very interesting read indeed. Thank you, all previous readers, for sharing it!

Journal Entry 11 by wingTarnawing at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, February 26, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (2/26/2015 UTC) at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Betty-san was my February One book a month and won by k-line. It's on its way to Sweden now.
Congrats, k-line! I hope you'll enjoy these stories.

Journal Entry 12 by k-line at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Monday, March 02, 2015

Thank you! I'm looking forward to read the book as the Japanese culture is in some ways very familiar to me and in some ways not, as my husband works i Japan about 1-2 months a year but I, myself, have never been there.