corner corner Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery)

Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery)
by Riley Adams | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by buffyfan of Rochester, New York USA on 8/15/2010

status (set by JennyC1230): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by buffyfan from Rochester, New York USA on Sunday, August 15, 2010

Reading this now, when I'm done, I'll pass it to the nest person.

Wow, what a disappointment!!

It has a what could have been a pretty darn good plot. A woman Rebecca Adrian, from The Food Channel has come to a Memphis town to do a special on BBQ's. Aunt Pat's Bar-B-Que has been chosen. Rebecca is rude and mean to everyone, and soon turns up dead. Who's responsible? It's up to the owner of Aunt Pat's Bar-B-Que to solve the murder.

First, let's start off with the writing style. It's horrible, not just bad, but horrible. It's hard to describe on why it's so bad, but it just is. I guess what makes it so difficult to read is the point of view. It's not first person nor third person, it's hard to explain and even harder to read and enjoy.

The characters are silly and one dimensional. No depth or not any substance to them. Actually, they're very annoying. I'm not sure why Adams didn't do anything with them. They all seemed the same in that they're all interchangeable. I guess that Adams meant for them to be funny, charming and quirky. Sadly, that wasn't the case in any of them. I found them to be annoying and they grated on my nerves. I also didn't like how all of the characters called each other "honey". I'm sure that Adams wanted to give the reader "that down home feeling", but Adams didn't accomplish that, not at all.

There was so much fluff to the book. So much of what happened could have been taken out, and nothing would have been missed. An example of what I'm talking about is that some of the women went to the mall, and nothing happened. They pretty much spent one entire chapter there, and it didn't add to the story. I'd have liked something to have happened in the story, anything. It would have been nice to have a little cat and mouse game from the killer.

I planned to give this book just one star, but I gave it an extra one because the recipes look *really*, *really* good.

Overall, I'd say skip it. Don't even get it from the library. There are a lot better cozy mysteries to read than this one.

Journal Entry 2 by buffyfan at Rochester, New York USA on Sunday, August 15, 2010

southernfryed - USA Shipping
Mellion108

Journal Entry 3 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Lexington, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I was excited to get this book in the mail today. Like buffyfan, I thought the book sounded as if it had potential. After reading buffyfan's journal entry, I'm a little skeptical but I will still give it a try.

8/27/2010
I liked the book better than Buffyfan. I tried to keep in mind that it is the first book in a series. The writer throws a lot of people at you in the first chapter and it is a bit slow in places but I did like it. I think it will eventually be a fun series to read, sort of like Diane Mott Davidson's Goldie series.

9/15/2010
pming mellion108 for address

Journal Entry 4 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Lexington, South Carolina USA on Friday, October 01, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (10/1/2010 UTC) at Lexington, South Carolina USA

dropped in the mail to mellion108

Journal Entry 5 by mellion108 at Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Thanks for sending this my way, southernfryed, and thanks so much for sharing, buffyfan! The book is here safe and sound. I have a few books that I'm trying to finish, but I'll start this one as soon as I can. :)

Paperback, 277 pages, includes 7 recipes

From the back cover:
Welcome to Aunt Pat's barbeque restaurant—family run and located in the heart of Memphis, Tennessee. Named in honor of Lulu Taylor's great aunt, the restaurant is known for its ribs and spicy corn bread, but now the Taylor family will be known for murder—unless Lulu can clear their name...

Rebecca Adrian came to Memphis to suss out the best local BBQ for a prominent Cooking Channel show. Trouble is, Rebecca doesn't live long enough to mention a bad review. A mystery ingredient has killed her—and now all fingers are pointing to Aunt Pat's restaurant. Horrified that her family is being accused of murder, Lulu fires up her investigative skills to solve the crime before someone else gets skewered...

Journal Entry 6 by mellion108 at Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Saturday, January 15, 2011

I'll give this one a middle-of-the-road review. I didn't hate it - I've certainly read worse books. But it wasn't my cup of tea. Cozy mysteries tend to be hit or miss with me.

This is a cute story with a feisty restaurant owner in Memphis. Lots of quirky regulars at the BBQ place, bloodless murders, clean language, etc. Again, this isn't awful, it's just not something I would pick up to read normally. It took me more than a month to finish this because I kept putting it down to read other books.

Thanks again for sharing. I'll make this one available to someone else or possibly continue the bookray!

Journal Entry 7 by mellion108 at Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Sunday, March 06, 2011

This little book is winging its way to Tennessee. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Received this surprise RABCK today in the mail, thanks so much for choosing me to receive it. I am looking forward to reading it and then passing it on.

Edit:

Decided to put this one into the Mystery VBB instead of reading.

Journal Entry 9 by wingbookstogivewing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, June 16, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (6/16/2014 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Releasing as a selection from the Mystery VBB, Happy Reading!

To the finder of this book:

BookCrossing is free to join and a great deal of fun, completely confidential, and you may remain anonymous. If you choose to join please consider using me BOOKSTOGIVE as your referring member.

Journal Entry 10 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, June 20, 2014

Thank you for this book from your Mystery/Thriller VBB, bookstogive! It looks like a fun read.

Journal Entry 11 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 07, 2015

Looks like I liked this the most of anyone so far. I appreciate mysteries where the victim is particularly unpleasant and gets what's coming to them :-) I also liked the setting and feel of Southern hospitality and friendly manner.

It's early morning, the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, and I am having trouble writing comprehensible sentences, so...will quit now!

Journal Entry 12 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, March 13, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (3/13/2015 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to JennyC1230 to fulfill a wish. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 13 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, March 13, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (3/13/2015 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to JennyC1230 to fulfill a wish. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 14 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, March 16, 2015

Thanks for thinking of me eponine38! This looks like a fun read.

Journal Entry 15 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, April 28, 2015

I couldn't get into this story. Every time I picked it back up to read I had to re-read a few pages because I couldn't remember what just happened. A good story will stick with you, but this one just didn't do it for me. I read about 60 pages and gave up. Hopefully someone else will enjoy it!

Journal Entry 16 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, August 03, 2015

This book is reserved for: Bookstogive's Mystery/Thriller VBB.

Journal Entry 17 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, July 01, 2016

This wasn't picked from the Mystery VBB, so it's available.

Journal Entry 18 by JennyC1230 at SoHo Bagel OBCZ - Towne Lake Parkway in Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, September 09, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (9/9/2016 UTC) at SoHo Bagel OBCZ - Towne Lake Parkway in Woodstock, Georgia USA

Left on the bookshelf when going in to buy Chicken Salad. Enjoy!