corner corner Animist

Animist
by Eve Forward | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by Mandali of Olympia, Washington USA on 7/14/2003

status (set by fly46): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Mandali from Olympia, Washington USA on Monday, July 14, 2003

Eve Forward's second book. Although the first book of a proposed trilogy, it is a complete book unto itself. phantomreader42 had this to say about the book: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/694311

I am registering this book for a bookray.

Journal Entry 2 by Mandali from Olympia, Washington USA on Thursday, July 17, 2003

I mailed this to caligula03 today. There are 8 members of this bookray at the moment, actually 9 if you count me. As it is a bookray, you can be added on to the bookray list at any time. Just PM me if you are interested. The bookray members are below and I will up date the location of the book over time.

I am adding a few requests for the members of the bookray. Please make a journal entry when you receive the book. It doesn't have to be more than a few words, just enough so everyone knows where the book is. It is also a good idea to PM the next person on the list for a mailing address so that when you are finished with the book you don't have to wait to mail it. Please don't feel that you have to rush through the book in order to send it to the next person. If you are in the middle of reading another book, take your time to enjoy that one and if "Animist" is not the next book in your TBR pile, don't worry about that either. I would prefer that you have the luxury to read it at your leisure. As mailing costs can be expensive, it is totally appropriate to use media mail/surface mail. Happy reading!

caligula03 (California) - Received and journaled 7/22/03; journaled 8/6/03; sent to ciaracat 8/16/03;
ciaracat (Texas) - Received and journaled 9/19/03; sent to Eskielover 1/19/04;
Eskielover (Washington) - Received and journaled 3/6/04; journaled 3/29/04; sent to starbytes 4/12/04;
starbytes (Malaysia) - Received and journaled 5/5/04
BookFrog (Australia)
Fire-Dragon (Australia)
Shendoah (California)
fly46 (Ohio)

If you enjoyed reading Animist you might consider signing up for phantomreader42's bookray for Villains By Necessity, Eve Forward's first book. A companion bookray for Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward, Eve's father, is also available for those who enjoy hard science fiction.

Journal Entry 3 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Tuesday, July 22, 2003

This book arrived safe and sound today. It's #4 in my TBR pile -- soon to be #3. The books ahead of it are The Age of Innocence (soon to finished), Gone with the Wind, and Everything's Eventual.

Journal Entry 4 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Wednesday, August 06, 2003

I've finished reading this delightful book. It's part adventure, part fantasy and part muder-mystery. Give the book until page 50 for the story to really get started. The first 49 pages are mostly back story and world building. Once you're at page 50: PAY ATTENTION to all the details if you want to solve the mystery. :D

Now I'm just waiting for the next person in line to PM with a mailing address.

Journal Entry 5 by caligula03 at Mailed to a bookcrosser in Lubbock, Texas USA on Saturday, August 16, 2003

Released on Saturday, August 16, 2003 at Mailed to a bookcrosser in Lubbock, Texas USA.

I'm mailing this wonderful book to the next peson on the list.

Journal Entry 6 by ciaracat from Sugar Land, Texas USA on Friday, September 19, 2003

I'm very sorry for the long delay in making a journal entry! I misplaced the package when I brought it in with the mail, apparently. I will read this and move it along as soon as I finish the book I'm currently reading. Again, I'm very sorry for the delay!!:}

Update: I'm not reading the book. Hope to be sending it along within the next week or so. :) (10/19/03)

Journal Entry 7 by ciaracat from Sugar Land, Texas USA on Sunday, October 26, 2003

That last journal entry of mine should have read NOW reading, instead of NOT reading. *blushing*

Loved this book! I see in the first journal entry that this is the first of a proposed trilogy... going to have to look and see if there are sequels yet. :)

I'm a little bit cranky. *I* want to be an animist!! :P Alas.

This was a fun book to read, with some interesting concepts. Have to say I was a little surprised... I thought that he would have regained what he lost after he figured that stuff out at the end. Don't think that gives anything away. :)

I'll pass this along in the bookray as quickly as I can.. hopefully Monday.

Thanks for sending this out in a ray!

Journal Entry 8 by ciaracat at Bookring/ray in -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, January 19, 2004

Released on Monday, January 19, 2004 at Bookring/ray in USPS, postal release USA.

Sending to Eskielover (sorry for taking so long! :))

Journal Entry 9 by Eskielover from Olympia, Washington USA on Saturday, March 06, 2004

This book arrived in the mail today! Thank you for the neat book mark. I'm getting quite a collection! I have 1 1/2 books ahead of this, I'll get to it quickly, I can't wait to read it.

Journal Entry 10 by Eskielover from Olympia, Washington USA on Monday, March 29, 2004

Science Fiction/Fantasy is my favorite genre and I really enjoyed this book! It's appeal lies in the anthropomorhism of Mote and her relationship with Alex the Animist. Include a good murder mystery and it makes for a good read. I'll get it in he mail to Starbyes as soon as I confirm her address.

Journal Entry 11 by Eskielover from Olympia, Washington USA on Monday, April 12, 2004

This book sent on to Starbytes in Malaysia today!

Journal Entry 12 by starbytes from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Received a few days ago...I think it was 30th of April if I'm not mistaken. :P I wasn't around so my bf collected my mail for me. I just came back from a very hectic 'vacation', and am looking forward to relaxing with the books I've received! Thanks, Eskielover! Love your namecard, it's so original! I might do something like that too(But then it won't be original anymore!)! LOL!! :D

Update 13th May 2004: Loved it!! It reminded me a little of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, because of the Anims(deamons) and there are other similarities as well, but I guess I'll have to read the whole trilogy before I can compare the two properly. I am intrigued with Animist, and like the previous readers, are looking forward to getting my hands on book 2 and 3 of this trilogy. Thanks for sharing!! :D

Will get BookFrog's addy and mail this asap!

Journal Entry 13 by starbytes at on Thursday, May 20, 2004

Release planned for Friday, May 21, 2004 at another bookcrosser in NSW, Australia Controlled Releases.

To next BXer on the list, BookFrog!! Enjoy!! :D

Journal Entry 14 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, July 10, 2004

I was away when the parcel arrived! Thanks heaps... should start reading it soon!

Journal Entry 15 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 27, 2004

I enjoyed this book. I did start reading it and then put it down and read another book but when I picked it up and started reading it again *from where I left off* I enjoyed it and read it straight through to the end. I enjoyed the allusions to the Pied Piper of Hamelin and I would like to know the next installment in his life, be nice if there was a sequal or series or something.

onto firedragon in England... must get to a postoffice!

Journal Entry 16 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, August 05, 2004

Forgot to note that I posted this a week ago (29th July)

Journal Entry 17 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, August 08, 2004

One of the first bookrings I ever signed up for has finally found its way to me. I look forward to reading the book, which I have heard so much about.

I'm also happy that I get to see the 2nd edition bookplate! I have copies of the first, and from the fourth onwards, but had never seen the second until now and have still not seen the third.

Thank you, Bookfrog, for posting this all the way to London and especially for the Caramello Koala, a sweet reminder of home.

Journal Entry 18 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, August 18, 2004

I really enjoyed this book. It's pacy and original with strong characters and good twists in the tale. I particularly liked Mote.

Journal Entry 19 by Shendoah from San Jose, California USA on Monday, September 13, 2004

came in the mail today. working it in with another bookring.

Journal Entry 20 by Shendoah from San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, October 27, 2004

I apologize for being a bookstop. I kept it longer than I meant to. I did finish it this on the flight home last night though.

My final thought was "What do you mean that's the end?!" Which I supposed is a good way to have your reader finshing the book.

I felt this was a fascinating way to blend the bond of the Pern Dragons, with the empathic bond of Flinx and his flying Dragon (alan dean foster) and a happy touch of magic to make something fresh and fun.

As this was supposed to be the first in a trilogy, I'm hoping the rest of the Triliogy took place. I shall be looking for it.

Mote is a great name. :D

I'll be getting a hold for Fly46 and trying to get this on this week.

Journal Entry 21 by Shendoah from San Jose, California USA on Sunday, November 07, 2004

On it's way to Fly46.

Journal Entry 22 by fly46 from Nashville, Tennessee USA on Friday, December 10, 2004

And the book ray ends with me.
Which is good because I'm so sick right now concentration just isn't going to happen. I'll put it in the TBRAIW (to be read after I'm well) pile.