corner corner The Wife's Tale (European Bookring)

The Wife's Tale (European Bookring)
by Lori Lansens | Women's Fiction
Registered by wingolagoriewing of Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, August 14, 2010

status (set by YogiSchoko): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingolagoriewing from Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, August 14, 2010

Mein 1.000stes registriertes Buch - My 1.000th registred book!

This is a European Bookring!

1. CaptainCarrot, Germany
2. Pebbletool, Germany
3. glitzergoettin, Germany (currently)
4. SerendipityN, Germany
11. frutz, France
12. Icila, France
13. you?

------

Ich möchte das Buch erst in D, dann in Europa als Buchring auf Reisen schicken.

Zugegeben, Bookcrossing kommt nur kurz vor, aber was soll's *g* Da ist es doch toll, dass das Buch an sich auch sehr gut ist.

Bitte meldet Euch nur an, wenn Ihr bereit seit, das Buch in max. 2 Monaten zu lesen und weiterzuschicken!

Journal Entry 2 by wingolagoriewing at Oberursel, Hessen Germany on Saturday, August 14, 2010

I was approaching the registration of my 1.000th ! book (yes, I LOVE Bookcrossing ;-), so I was looking for a really special novel.

So, when a few weeks ago I read in one of the forums here about a Canadian novel containing a small scene about a Bookcrossing book, I HAD to read this book.

Getting it wasn't that easy, I finally was able to buy it online in a British bookshop and got it shipped to Germany.

I liked the book very much. It starts a bit slow, but in the end I was really sad when it already ended.

I will make it now (I will register my 1.000th book today or tomorrow) into a book-ring: asking for readers in the forum, so it will travel around the world to make it back to me some day. And on its way, it will gather new fans of Lori Lansens novels, I am sure *g*

A New York Times Editor's Choice, Apr 2010

***

It will start as a Europeans-only Bookring to keep postage costs low.

IMPORTANT: Please only subscribe if you are willing to agree to read and pass on the book in max. 2 months !

Thank a lot.

***

So here’s the content:

Mary is fat. Not just fat, but morbidly obese. She knows she's fat (thank you very much) and lives her life in defensive, deflective blame, isolating herself in the small farming town of Leaford, Ontario, the locale of Lori Lansens' first two novels. Everyone skirts the subject of her weight, the literal elephant in the room. Mary and her husband Gooch have gradually drifted away from each other.

On their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary, Mary's husband disappears. Bewildered, Mary abandons her sheltered life in pursuit of him across America, encountering a dazzling array of characters and discovering a boundless supply of human kindness in unexpected places. Runaway children, single mothers, taxi drivers, migrant workers and bitter relatives enter her life in chaotic fashion. She discovers new worlds (including Bookcrossing!!!) in hidden pockets of Los Angeles before she arrives at her final destination, the most unexpected surprise of all.

The Wife's Tale is a vivid exploration of a woman taking small, courageous steps toward her authentic self for the first time in her life. In pursuit of her husband, she finds herself instead.

Reviews on the Author’s Website:

Journal Entry 3 by wingolagoriewing at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, September 04, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (9/4/2010 UTC) at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Have fun with this ring! Please pass it on after reading it. If you would be next-in-line and currently don't have time to read the book: please tell the person asking for your adress to have you skipped. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by wingCaptainCarrotwing at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, September 06, 2010

The book arrived today and accompanied me to a week-long meeting. Reading stuff for tonight - thanks a lot!

Journal Entry 5 by wingCaptainCarrotwing at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, September 12, 2010

The book is already read and gone on. I wish Mary and Jimmy all the best! A good read in the evenings, and quite touching. My favorite character ist Big Avi.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 6 by wingCaptainCarrotwing at Meinerzhagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, September 12, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (9/10/2010 UTC) at Meinerzhagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

am Freitagmorgen in den Briefkasten geworfen - gute Reise!

Journal Entry 7 by wingPebbletoolwing at on Thursday, September 16, 2010

Got it tonight from my Packstation. Thank you! I will read it as soon as I have finished another book :)

Edit: I really enjoyed reading it. You are really feeling with the characters, especially of course with Mary and wish them a happy end.

Thank you for the ring!

Journal Entry 8 by wingPebbletoolwing at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (10/13/2010 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Berlin Germany

Ordentlich vertütet und in zwei Minuten im Briefkasten macht sich das Buch nun auf die Reise zu glitzergoettin. Gute Reise!

Journal Entry 9 by glitzergoettin at Auerbach (Oberpfalz), Bayern Germany on Saturday, October 16, 2010

The book arrived today, but will have to wait about a week until I get to it, Thanks for letting me participate in this bookring!

Journal Entry 10 by Mumfula at Auerbach (Oberpfalz), Bayern Germany on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Das Buch durfte heute nach Hause reisen...

Journal Entry 11 by wingolagoriewing at Oberursel, Hessen Germany on Friday, October 04, 2013

Und ist nun wieder bei mir ...

Journal Entry 12 by wingYogiSchokowing at Nürnberg, Bayern Germany on Sunday, October 05, 2014

A long time ago I joined this bookring. Then the book somewhere disappeared ... Now I came across the book at the German UnCon 2014.