corner corner Cruel as the Grave (Ballantine Reader's Circle)

Cruel as the Grave (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
by Sharon Kay Penman | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingbookstogivewing of Springville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

status (set by love2cook): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingbookstogivewing from Springville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

This book is available

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A historical murder mystery that takes place during the reign of Richard the Lionheart during his years of capture. Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine is a prominent part of the story and I always like to read about her, she was fastinating!

Now ready for a new reader.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookstogivewing at Montclair, New Jersey USA on Saturday, September 25, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (9/25/2010 UTC) at Montclair, New Jersey USA

Selected from the mystery/thriller VBB, enjoy!

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!)

Journal Entry 4 by 4thEstate at Montclair, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Arrived today as one of my six picks from svoight's mystery VBB. Thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by 4thEstate at Montclair, New Jersey USA on Thursday, April 14, 2011

Actually finished this one quite a while back - I'm only now getting around to making a journal entry on it.

This one was quite good - I've actually read it before, in college, while browsing in between classes and cram sessions at the library.
Justin's a good lead character, easy to relate to - he's not a saint, but he's got a sense of right and wrong and fair play. And he has to, when he's got Queen Eleanor for a boss. Claudine, his girlfriend, is quite complex - is she on John's side or Eleanor's, and what does she want from Justin?
But at the center, of course, is the murder of Melangell and how it relates to the mercer's family. Melangell is very sympathetically written, and the reader's heart goes out to her.

All in all, a good read. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this one, whether to keep it on my shelf for a while or pass it on. I'll just mark it as reserved for the time being.

Journal Entry 6 by 4thEstate at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/4/2012 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA

Sent out via the ABC bookbox.

Journal Entry 7 by dancing-dog at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Friday, January 20, 2012

Taking this from the ABC bookbox - thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by dancing-dog at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Friday, March 23, 2012

I liked this story - mostly a medieval cozy-type mystery - although mystery-wise it wasn't too hard to figure out and it seemed a little anti-climatic at the end. It was faster reading than straight historical fiction. I would try another book by this author.

Journal Entry 9 by dancing-dog at Bookbox - controlled release in Cordova, Tennessee USA on Friday, May 11, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/11/2012 UTC) at Bookbox - controlled release in Cordova, Tennessee USA

Putting in the Medieval/Renaissance bookbox (which ironically I am sending to bookstogive next)

Journal Entry 10 by winglove2cookwing at Pearland, Texas USA on Sunday, May 27, 2012

Removed from kookaburra's Medieval & Renaissance Bookbox. Looking forward to reading this one.