corner corner Revelation (Shardlake)

Revelation (Shardlake)
by C. J. Sansom | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by chich of Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on 8/6/2010

status (set by Moriquen): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Friday, August 06, 2010

Quite a disappointing follow-up to previous instalments of the Shardlake series. Revelation is a fairly good murder mystery (if a little predictable) but is definitely the weakest book in the series. It lacks the originality and rich historical details of the previous novels as the author tries a bit too hard to mix "Seven" and the Tudor period. The serial killer theme felt too anachronistic and as a result the book lacked authenticity. I hope the Shardlake novels to come will be better than this one!

Synopsis:
Spring, 1543. King Henry VIII is wooing Lady Catherine Parr, whom he wants for his sixth wife. Archbishop Cranmer and the embattled Protestant faction at court are watching keenly, for Lady Catherine is known to have reformist sympathies. Matthew Shardlake, meanwhile, is working on the case of a teenage boy who has been placed in the Bedlam insane asylum, before his terrifying religious mania leads to him being burned as a heretic. When an old friend is horrifically murdered Shardlake vows to bring the killer to justice. His search leads him to Cranmer and Catherine Parr - and to the dark prophecies of the "Book of Revelation". As London's Bishop Bonner prepares a purge of Protestants Shardlake, together with his assistant, Jack Barak, and his friend, Guy Malton, investigate a series of horrific murders which are already bringing frenzied talk of witchcraft and demonic possession - for what else would the Tudor mind make of a serial killer...?

Journal Entry 2 by chich at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (12/1/2011 UTC) at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Surprise! I saw this book on your wishlist and thought it would make a nice little RABCK before the Holidays:) Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Hey waauw, this was completely unexpected. I went to the post office expecting to pick up a ringbook I've been waiting for but instead it was this joyous surprise. Thank you very much chich. I laughed as I wasn't expecting this and kind of startled a passer-by, who looked at me a little funny. Apparently laughing in public is a strange thing to do, these days! ;)
Thanks a bunch for this lovely surprise!

Journal Entry 4 by Moriquen at Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Perhaps, indeed, slightly predictable and it did lack the depth the other books had. I often thought that this story could have taken place in this time, but perhaps that has something to do with the fact that Shardlake and Guy the Moor often discuss inanity in a way it would only be talked about in more modern times. But despite that I still enjoyed the story a lot, using every available moment I had to read just another chapter. So Sansom still had enough to enthrall me, despite the fact that the book wasn't as good as the others.
Thanks again for sending it my way, chich. I'll keep it travelling, one way or another!

Journal Entry 5 by Moriquen at Rives du Verdon in Castellane, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Saturday, August 01, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (7/30/2015 UTC) at Rives du Verdon in Castellane, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France

Achtergelaten aan de loop van de Verdon aan een leuk, veel bezocht zwemplekje. Veel plezier ermee!

Left this book at the river Verdon by a nice, much visited swimming spot. Have fun with the book!