corner corner Common Sense

Common Sense
by Thomas Paine | History
Registered by wingtravelinawing of Ullern bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on 7/29/2010

status (set by melydia): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingtravelinawing from Ullern bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Thursday, July 29, 2010

From the back cover of the book (book number 10 of 20):
"Throughout history, some books have changed the world. They have transformed the way we see ourselves - and each other. They have inspired debate, dissent, war and revolution. They have enlightened, outraged, provoked and comforted. They have enriched lives - and destroyed them. Now Penguin brings you the works of the great thinkers, pioneers, radicals and visionaries whose ideas shook civilization and helped make us who we are.

The book that created the modern United States, Paine's incendiary call for Americans to revolt against British rule converted millions to the cause of independence and set out a vision of a just society - free from corruption and cronyism - which remains inspiring today."

Journal Entry 2 by wingtravelinawing at Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Thursday, March 30, 2017

Released 7 mos ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

A book for the book buffet at the BookCrossing Convention in Oslo. Enjoy:-)

Journal Entry 3 by melydia at Centreville, Virginia USA on Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Picked up at the 2017 BookCrossing Convention in Oslo, Norway. I think it's kind of funny that not only have I never read this - one of the seminal works in the founding of my country - but that I picked up a copy in a completely different country. :)

Journal Entry 4 by melydia at Centreville, Virginia USA on Friday, October 20, 2017

I'm sure I read excerpts from this in school many years ago. I'd forgotten most of the specifics but the general idea (yay independence, boo monarchy) is pretty plain. I was a little surprised by how similar the eventual US government became to the British system, given how much time Paine spends complaining about it. (Granted, he spends even more time complaining about the idea of hereditary power.) I was also struck by how "religious freedom" only included Christians. Freedom of religion is one of the basic rights in the Constitution, and yet here we have one of the biggest advocates completely ignoring most of the religions of the world (including the Deism of many of his contemporaries, though it's not explicitly stated). In short, it was a very important and influential book, well worth reading by any American who wishes to learn more about the early days of their own country. It also really stretches today's definition of "pamphlet".

Journal Entry 5 by melydia at Birdie's Cafe - 233 E. Main St. in Westminster, Maryland USA on Thursday, November 02, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (11/4/2017 UTC) at Birdie's Cafe - 233 E. Main St. in Westminster, Maryland USA

Taking to the BCinDC meetup at Birdie's in Westminster, Maryland.
If no one claims it, it'll go on the OBCZ shelves there.

Welcome to BookCrossing!