corner corner Austenland: A Novel

Austenland: A Novel
by Shannon Hale | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingrureadingwing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, July 27, 2010

status (set by Sin85): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingrureadingwing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Austenland is a English resort where you can escape the modern world and live the Jane Austen fantasy. Even if you haven't read the Austen novels this book is an engaging page-turner.

This book is yours to do with as you please... read it, share it, keep it, pass it on!
I've registered this book at BookCrossing.com so that I can follow the book’s travels with a new reader. You can make a comment about this book anonymously or join BookCrossing.com to get updates on its journey.

Journal Entry 2 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 14, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (8/14/2010 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Bringing this book to the Calgary BC meeting today at the Joshua Tree Cafe.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, August 15, 2010

This was one of the wrapped book I chose -thank you so much! It was so much fun and I can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, October 14, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (10/8/2011 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

passed to the crossers at a certain someone's wedding!

This was a fun read on a weekend I really needed it, thanks! I'm not sure if I could handle that sort of play acting no matter how interesting it would be.

To the finder:
Calgary has an active group of BookCrossers that meet to swap books and discuss book crossing every second Saturday of the month at 11am at the Joshua Tree Cafe on Edmonton Trail. We always love to meet new crossers, so please join us any time you like!

Journal Entry 5 by Sin85 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Not really my taste so passing this on and hopefully the next person finds this a great read!

Journal Entry 6 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 15, 2012

Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing January meet-up. I thought the premise of this book was one thing, but it turns out it's something else, but I'm still going to read it. Maybe it'll get me to read some Austen books at some point.

Journal Entry 7 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Meh, this book was okay. I found the premise to be a little thin. Maybe it's because I haven't read a lot of Austen. That might have made this book a little bit more enjoyable.

Journal Entry 8 by locker-monster at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/11/2012 UTC) at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing this book at the Calgary BookCrossing February meet-up. If it didn't go home with someone, it's on the bookshelf.

Journal Entry 9 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Picked up at the Februrary BC meeting. Hilariously I'd just finished watching the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice the evening before.

Journal Entry 10 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, March 05, 2012

Oh wow, I loved it. Looking at the previous journal entries I see that this has got mixed reviews, so I'll say this for it. If you haven't read Pride and Prejudice, you probably won't get it. Ideally, you should also have seen the Colin Firth version of the film as well.

SPOILERS AHOY

I thought the balance between a conventional Pride and Prejudice plot and the plot twists was absolutely perfect. The plot just marches along mirroring P&P, which is very sweet, because its a lovely plot and all.

But I think the fantastic thing is that the Mr Darcy character isn't a Darcy at all, he's just as intense about relationships as she is, and he's actually a bit of a doofus. But a good sort of doofus. And I just adored the fact that he was scared of airplanes. The line "All of it. Especially this part where I'm going to die..." was hilarious, and filled me with warm fuzzy feelings.

And as we all know, the whole point of a good romance is to fill you with warm fuzzy feelings.

Journal Entry 11 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 10, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/10/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Slim for a hardback, that's the excuse, that and it has a longish wait list. Coming to the Calgary BC slim book meeting.

Journal Entry 12 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 11, 2012

I'm next on this one. I can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 13 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 12, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/12/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I love the Pride and Prejudice mini series with Colin Firth so I was interested to see what this book was all about. Interesting for sure. I'm with some of the others that say they couldn't stay in character all the time.

Taking this to the next reader...

Are you in the Calgary area and interested in meeting up with other Calgary BookCrossers? Please check out our facebook group, "BookCrossing Calgary" for details on how. Meeting are held on the second Saturday of every month at the Joshua Tree Cafe starting at 11am. New Crossers are always welcome.

Journal Entry 14 by wingFraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 13, 2012

Not sure how it happened, but I came home will 11 books from the May meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers!

Mount TBR is teetering....

Journal Entry 15 by wingFraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, October 11, 2012

While I haven't read a lot of Jane Austen's books, I must say I totally loved this sweet book. It was a refreshing rest from dystopia, murderous mysteries, convoluted plots - it was old fashioned fun.

Maybe it appealed to the part of me that still likes to play dress-up and have an alter-ego...

Thanks for sharing this story with us.

Journal Entry 16 by wingFraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (10/13/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the October meet-up of the Calgary BookCrossers at the Joshua Tree Café.

Who will be the next reader?

Journal Entry 17 by Sin85 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Picked up at book crossing meeting at Joshua tree cafe