corner corner Tipping the Velvet

Tipping the Velvet
by Sarah Waters | Literature & Fiction
Registered by junegirl of Elm Grove, Wisconsin USA on Friday, July 11, 2003

status (set by scowlette): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by junegirl from Elm Grove, Wisconsin USA on Friday, July 11, 2003

Read a good review of this. It has been promised to Atenea-Nike and then Gyd.

Journal Entry 2 by junegirl from Elm Grove, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, July 30, 2003

This book was buried in my To Be Read stack -- with no hope of seeing daylight within the next two months. Therefore, I am sending it out to Atenea-Nike, then Gyd, where it will find a home with people who will actually READ it in more timely fashion. I'm sure the book will be much happier this way!

Journal Entry 3 by Atenea-Nike on Friday, August 08, 2003

Wow, this was veeeery fast! I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the package in the mail today. Thanks, Junegirl! I'll read it in the next 15 days and then send it off to Gyd :)

Journal Entry 4 by Atenea-Nike on Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Oh! What a wonderful, wonderful book! I loved the story - the main character's evolution is very well portrayed. I loved the settings - the book takes you through very different, vey vivid settings in XIX century London. It immerses you in them. And the way lesbianism is portrayed and handled: I loved it! Some of the things (all in fact) ring so true. It's an honest book, real, true. I loved every minute of it. In fact I liked it more than the other book of hers, "Fingersmith", which I had already read in spanish (btw, this woman has a way with titles...)
Favourite quote: "Regular people often mistake tommishness for a sort of family liking". So true! I'm fed up with people asking whether my girlfriend and me are sisters, or cousins....
Thanks for sharing it, Junegirl! I'll mail it to Gyd today or tomorrow.

Journal Entry 5 by Atenea-Nike on Thursday, August 14, 2003

Change of plans! Gyd is too busy at the moment with HPV (the book, not the illness) so I'll send this to Suskiin instead :)

Journal Entry 6 by Suskiin from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Received this morning in the box! I am looking forward to read it but for the moment it'll have to remain a little in my TBR. More after reading!
I hope Gyd's TBR already will be shortening when I will finish it!

Journal Entry 7 by Suskiin from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Friday, June 04, 2004

I just loved this book. It has kept me in a fury or reading for the last days, after I got to do a little place for it in my high TBR and bookrings pile. Well, I just also read "Fingersmith" but I liked this much more. The settings really make you to inmerse in the latest of the XIX century, on the music-halls background, on the poorest quarters of the victorian London, on the richest places with luxury and lust. Really the history of this woman is such one! There are some passages I just loved, when Nan discovered her true love for Flo, or perhaps when she got into the pantry so Flo won't discover her still in her house. I just got a phrase which I though funny: "She seemed chaste as a plaster saint to me".
The characters are much vivid and one can just think they are so real!
I should pass the book on Gyd now, after such a long time (sorry Gyd) but there is somebody also wanting to read it, Laprofe. I just write to Gyd so to set the matter.

Journal Entry 8 by laprofe from Ayamonte, Huelva Spain on Monday, July 26, 2004

Suskiin passed the book on to me during my visit to Barcelona. I'll read it as fast as I can and then get in contact with Gyd.

*****

I forgot to write my impressions after I read it, before sending it off to Gyd. I loved it, although in a way it is not a very polished book that betrays the fact it is a first novel. I have read the writer's other books and I definitely notice a progression. But that doesn't mean this isn't a very good book; probably the best thing I can say about it is that you don't have to be lesbian to enjoy it.

Journal Entry 9 by Gyd from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Thursday, September 16, 2004

Received! It's been quite a surprise since I was expecting this book to come from Sevilla- Spain, not from Ithaca- New York =O. It goes to my TBR pile and it'll be read asap.

Thanks everyone ahead of me =)

Journal Entry 10 by Gyd from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Sunday, April 24, 2005

Currently reading (trying for the second time, I can't seem to get into the story :P).
When done, it'll be sent to XXI century England :)

02/May/05
I like to finish all the books I start, but since this one doesn't seem to hold my interest and there's someone in England looking forward to reading it, I'll mail it off tomorrow.

Journal Entry 11 by Helly77 from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 05, 2005

received this morning, thankyou! Image hosted by Photobucket.com

the bookmark is beautiful too. Thankyou again!

Journal Entry 12 by Helly77 from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A saucy, sensuous and multi-layered historical romance, TIPPING THE VELVET follows the glittering career of Nan King - oyster girl turned music-hall star turned rent-boy turned East End tom.

"Have you ever tasted a Whitstable oyster? If you have, you will remember it. Some quirk of the Kentish coastline makes Whitstable natives - as they are properly called - the largest and the juiciest, the savouriest yet the subtlest, oysters in the whole of England. Whitstable oysters are, quite rightly, famous. The French, who are known for their sensitive palates, regularly cross the Channel for them; they are shipped, in barrels of ice, to the dining tables of Hamburg and Berlin. Why, the King himself, I heard, makes special trips to Whitstable with Mrs Keppel, to eat oyster suppers in a private hotel; and as for the old Queen - she dined on a native a day (or so they say) till the day she died.

Did you ever go to Whitstable, and see the oyster-parlours there? My father kept one; I was born in it - do you recall a narrow, weather-boarded house, painted a flaking blue, half-way between the High Street and the harbour? Do you remember the bulging sign that hung above the door, that said that Astley''s Oysters, the Best in Kent were to be had within? Did you, perhaps, push at that door, and step into the dim, low-ceilinged, fragrant room beyond it? Can you recall the tables with their chequered cloths - the bill of fare chalked on a board - the spirit-lamps, the sweating slabs of butter.
'An unstoppable read, a sexy and picaresque romp through the lesbian and queer demi-monde of the roaring Nineties. Could this be a new genre? The bawdy lesbian picaresque novel?' - Independent On Sunday.
'This could be the most important debut of its kind since that of Jeanette Winterson' - Daily Telegraph
'A delightful novel which sets a new standard for lesbian historical fiction & should entice new readers to the genre' - Emma Donoghue

This is my next TBR and is then being sent to someone who wins it in the BookRelay YBS#15

Journal Entry 13 by Helly77 at in a YBS in to another bookcrosser, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (6/14/2006 UTC) at in a YBS in to another bookcrosser, By Post -- Controlled Releases

sent to AM10000 from th ebookrelay YBS#15
I wasn't in the mood to read it right now, so will probably get my hands on another copy later :)

Journal Entry 14 by AM10000 from Sunnyvale, California USA on Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Thank you for sending this to me Helly! I've been wanting to read it for a long time..but I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to read it first!

eta: 3-27-07 I just finished reading this book last night and thought it was great. It had a lot of feeling and I thought it was very well written and very readable.

Journal Entry 15 by AM10000 at PBS in PBS, PaperBackSwap.com -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (4/3/2007 UTC) at PBS in PBS, PaperBackSwap.com -- Controlled Releases

Sent today per request from Paperbackswap.com

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Thursday, May 10, 2007

Received in the mail today from a PaperbackSwap.com member. I just finished reading Sarah Water's Fingersmith and thought it was great so I'm looking forward to this one as well!

This book is No. 85 on the 1001 books you must read before you die list

Journal Entry 17 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bookray
Starting a bookray for this book. Please PM me if interested. Bookray will remain open until last person has the book.

Participants so far:

. JenKazoo from Louisiana, USA (US only)
. ladybug74 from Alabama, USA (US only)
. Bug2004 from Nebraska, USA (US only)
. scowlette from Nebraska, USA (US/Canada/Europe - not Australia)<----Book is here
. lucy-lemon from UK (Europe preferred, International if needed)<----Asked to be skipped

THIS BOOK IS STALLED WITH SCOWLETTE!! I HAVE REPLACED THE BOOK. SEE THIS JE FOR NEW COPY

Journal Entry 18 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Thursday, November 27, 2008

This was definitely a captivating, enjoyable story! Sarah Waters takes us into the underworld of 19th century London from a perspective that I certainly had never read about before. Okay, being a straight male, this world of lesbian love was a little outside my experience but it certainly was a story that holds your interest. I especially liked how Waters colorfully described this period in time and all the slang that she used – "tom," "masher," "gay girls," "rent boy," "saucy," etc. And the story was definitely erotic - the sex scenes were quite explicit (I hope other readers are not easily offended). The characters in the story were very well-developed and quite believable. Nancy, especially, was a great character from her beginnings as a Whitstable oyster girl, to her up and down experiences searching for happiness. Overall a very SAUCY story!

Journal Entry 19 by wingperryfranwing at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 27, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (11/27/2008 UTC) at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sending to JenKazoo in Louisiana to start this bookray. Enjoy!

USPS DC# 0308 0070 0000 7659 2520

Journal Entry 20 by JenKazoo from Shreveport, Louisiana USA on Saturday, December 06, 2008

This just came in the mail and I can't wait to read it! I'll start it after I finish the one I am currently reading.

Journal Entry 21 by JenKazoo at By Mail, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 02, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/2/2009 UTC) at By Mail, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases

I absolutely loved this book. I am looking forward to reading more Sarah Waters in the future!

Journal Entry 22 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

This arrived in today's mail. I am nearly finished with another bookring and will start this one within the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 23 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Friday, January 16, 2009

I enjoyed Fingersmith, so I thought I would also try this one. I was surprised at how much I really did enjoy this book. It was a great historical novel. It was just a tad slow starting for me, but once Nan met Kitty and the story really got started, I could hardly put it down. I have already got a copy of another of Sarah Waters book, Affinity, and look forward to reading it soon.

Journal Entry 24 by ladybug74 at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 16, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/16/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

mailed to Bug2004

Journal Entry 25 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Monday, January 26, 2009

Re'cvd today. Have a couple in front of it, but will get to it as quick as I can. Thanks! :)

Journal Entry 26 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sorry for keeping this so long. I liked this one. I agree, it was a bit of a slow start for me, but I loved the history and the characters just popped off the page for me. Thanks for sharing!!

Will be off in the post w/in the next day or two. :)

**Snt out April 8th**

Journal Entry 27 by scowlette from Chicago, Illinois USA on Thursday, June 04, 2009

A pulpy, page turner! I am at page 410 and will release to the next person in a weeks time!