corner corner The Housekeeper + the Professor

The Housekeeper + the Professor
by Yoko Ogawa | Literature & Fiction
Registered by shelj7k of Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Saturday, July 10, 2010

status (set by Safrolistics): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Saturday, July 10, 2010

This is a place of mystery...a sanctuary. Every book, every volume you see here has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens.

Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Shadow of the Wind

Dear Reader

Welcome to BookCrossing, especially if it is your first time here. I am really pleased that you found this book. It is a gift from me to you. If you wish you may hold on to it, but I hope that you will pass it on, either to a friend or loved one, or by leaving it to be found again. That way our book will be on an adventurous journey which we can follow as it gets passed along.

In the meantime, did you read the book? What did you think of it? Also, what do you think of the idea of BookCrossing? Feel free to write any thoughts when you come back to make a journal entry for this book.

While you are here, why not take a look around our website? It is completely free to register, it is safe and spam free and, if you do join, you will receive email alerts when this book is found again. I would be delighted if you wish to mention me, shelj7k, as the member who introduced you.

Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 2 by shelj7k at Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Saturday, July 10, 2010

He is a brilliant maths professor who live with only eighty minutes of short-term memory. She is a sensitive and astute young housekeeper who is entrusted to take care of him.

Each morning, as Professor and Housekeeper are reintroduced to one another, a strange, beautiful relationship blossoms between them. The Professor may not remember what he has for breakfast, but his mind is still alive with elegant equations from the past. He devises clever maths riddles - based on her show size or her birthday - and the numbers reveal a sheltering and poetic world to boeth the Housekeeper and her ten-year-old son. With each new equation, the three lost souls, forge an affection more mysterious than imaginary numbers, and a bond that runs deeper than memory.

Journal Entry 3 by shelj7k at Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Saturday, July 10, 2010

I read this beautiful book in one sitting yesterday. It is one of those rare gems that reaches your soul and takes up residence.

The story revolves around a maths professor, his housekeeper and her son. The professor had been badly injured in a car accident, leaving his short-term memory so damaged that he can only recall anything that happened in the last eighty minutes. Everything else stopped for him in 1975.

The housekeeper is sent to work for him by the agency she works for because nine other housekeepers haven't worked out. The professor's gentle good humour and helplessness immediately bonds her to him and when he finds out that she has a child he insists that she bring him to work with her. The professor just adores children and a truly beautiful and loving bond developes between the three characters.

The professor reaches out to the housekeeper and her son through maths riddles. Every morning they have to be reintroduced as they have evaporated from his memory. He teaches them the elegance and reassurance of numbers.

None of the characters are named, other than the child whom the professor calls Root because his flat head reminds him of the mathematical sign for a square root!

There are maths equations in this book but, to be honest, the professor explains numbers in such a fascinating way that I found myself with a pencil and paper trying out some of his puzzles. I wish I had had a teacher like him at school.

The book is as heart-wrenching as it is beautiful and is almost my perfect novel for this year.

I didn't enjoy the few sections on baseball which I know nothing about but despite that this is one of my favourite books of the year. I will definitely be on the lookout for another book by this author.

By the way the system brought up the title of the book as The Housekeeper AND the Professor and I changed the 'and' to a '+' as it is on the cover as it is such an ingegral part of the story. 9/10 stars

Journal Entry 4 by shelj7k at Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (8/10/2010 UTC) at Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland

To Karen - I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 5 by wingkaren07814wing at Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, August 13, 2010

I got home today through pouring rain to find a note from the postman-wouldn't fit through letter box-standard message from my postman and I collect close by. Back out in the rain, who can resist goodie bags? Back to the house where I knew I'd left the wshing up this morning. Into armchair ignoring washing up. And into the parcel (no I don't wait for my birthday to open presents either) and a beautiful parcel from shelj7k in just the right size envelope for the loads that are heading her way when I've finished reading the last one!

Thank you! I will share properly when I've read them

Journal Entry 6 by wingkaren07814wing at Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, August 28, 2010

Excellent little book. Like shelj7k I found myself having a go at the forumlas (they're not too strenuous) but also I wondered about the author. Initially I thought maybe this was a maths geek putting a concept across, a bit like management and "go fish" but then I saw the list of novels by the author and figured tey can't all be maths. So was this one as a result of research or was this a debut novel? I'd be interested to read another one to see the difference.
The dynamics are great, the professor so sweet and vulnerable.
If you like this one I'd sugget a read of Totto-Chan as well.
Thanks for the read!

Journal Entry 7 by wingkaren07814wing at Broadway, Co. Wexford Ireland on Sunday, August 29, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (8/29/2010 UTC) at Broadway, Co. Wexford Ireland

over to you

Journal Entry 8 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Thank you for sending, karen07814! It arrived here safely this morning :)
I will enjoy this and pass it on!

Journal Entry 9 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Just finished this beautifully written book. The characters are so sweet, I totally got lost in the story and couldn't stop reading it :) Root, the housekeeper and the professor slowly but steadily build their friendship with baseball and maths..very touching.
This was my first book written by Yoko Ogawa. I decided to get a copy of this for myself when I go back to Japan next time. I really enjoyed and was moved by it. -I am not ineterested in maths nor baseball, though!

I am going to send this book to the lucky winner of EU Birthday Sweepstake :) From her profile, I thought she would enjoy this as much as I did!

Journal Entry 10 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Thursday, February 10, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/10/2011 UTC) at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland

Congratulations + enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by wingfrutzwing at Beringen, Kanton Mersch Luxembourg on Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Thank you salvami for sending this book.
I hadn't heard from this book but already the cover picture looks great and has a quote from Paul Auster, whom I love, saying it is highly original and infinitly charming, so this looks just like my kind of book. Plus all the commentaries here really sound good. Thanks a lot, I look very much forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 12 by wingfrutzwing at Beringen, Kanton Mersch Luxembourg on Saturday, February 19, 2011

This book is a little gem, the story is very touching and I read it in one sitting. I hadn't heard from this book before but will definitly recommend it around me. Although I'm not particulary interested in maths and still less in baseball, I found it a great read; the characters are very moving, especially the professor.

I'm organizing a ray for this book. So far this book will be travelling to:

Finnchen (Luxembourg) can mail anywhere
abigailann (UK) can mail in UK
24-7-365Reader (UK) can mail anywhere
727 (Latvia) can mail in Europe
vassilka (Greece) can mail anywhere
okyrhoe (Greece) can mail anywhere
lunatum (Finland) can mail anywhere <--- book is here
kobie03 (Canada) can mail anywhere

Journal Entry 13 by wingfrutzwing at Luxembourg, Kanton Luxemburg Luxembourg on Saturday, March 12, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/12/2011 UTC) at Luxembourg, Kanton Luxemburg Luxembourg

This bookray is on its way!
Send out to Finnchen today to start this bookray.
Happy reading

Journal Entry 14 by Finnchen at Luxembourg, Kanton Luxemburg Luxembourg on Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I had the book in my letterbox yesterday. A big thank you to frutz for sending it!

Journal Entry 15 by Finnchen at Luxembourg, Kanton Luxemburg Luxembourg on Thursday, March 17, 2011

This is a beautiful, very special, touching book.
How can you build a relationship with someone who can't remember that he even met you although he sees you every day of a week? This is the story of three lonely people who develop a very special friendship through their common love of mathematics and baseball.
If you love mathematics - like me - then you will be even more delighted by the professor's obsession.
A big thank you to Frutz for starting the ray and sharing this book!

----

The book will now travel on to his next destination in the UK.

Journal Entry 16 by Finnchen at to another Bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Luxembourg on Sunday, March 27, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/26/2011 UTC) at to another Bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Luxembourg

On its way to England. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by abigailann at Abingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Thanks for sending this onto me. I have two books to read before this one, but that shouldn't take too long

Journal Entry 18 by abigailann at Abingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 09, 2011

I wish I'd had a maths teacher like The Professor! This book actually made me take interest in a subject which I grew bored of 20 or so years ago. And the relationships were explored magnificently. I only wish now that I didn't have to pass this ray book onto the next participant.

Journal Entry 19 by abigailann at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (4/12/2011 UTC) at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sent onto next reader. Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 20 by 24-7-365Reader at Droitwich, Worcestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Arrived safely, I have started the book already, thanks for sharing :)

Journal Entry 21 by 24-7-365Reader at Droitwich, Worcestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Thanks for sharing this book, sorry I have taken a little over the 4 weeks reading time. This was a lovely story and I enjoyed the characters. It has made a change to read something sweet in nature. Will be sent on to the next on the list this week.

Journal Entry 22 by 727 at Rīga, Rīga Latvia on Wednesday, June 01, 2011

sounds extremely interesting. can't wait to read it.

Journal Entry 23 by 727 at Rīga, Rīga Latvia on Sunday, July 24, 2011

a sad, but very lovely story. very inspiring, too. it's wonderful how a person with such inability [both physical and characteristic] to communicate with people, manages to find two such good friends.

Journal Entry 24 by 727 at Kaunas, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Lithuania on Thursday, November 03, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (11/3/2011 UTC) at Kaunas, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Lithuania

Part of bookray.

Journal Entry 25 by vassilka at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Monday, November 14, 2011

Received it this morning. Thanx 727 for sending it.

Journal Entry 26 by vassilka at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (11/21/2011 UTC) at Larisa, Larisa Greece

I finished the book this morning. Although I'm not interested in maths nor in baseball (those parts were a little tiring for me), I loved it because it was very touching and the bond the characters build was very special. There was a rhythm in the writer's writing and I liked that too. Thanx Frutz for sharing it with us:-) I'd love to read something else from Yoko Ogawa, I hadn't even heard of her before...

As the post offices here are closed at weekends I'll post it to the next bookcrosser on Monday.

Journal Entry 27 by okyrhoe at Athens, Attica Greece on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Arrived in Athens. Thanks frutz for including me in the ray, and vassilka for posting the book to me!

Edit 27/12/2011 - A quick note to say I will need a couple more weeks for this book.

Edit 20/1/2012 - After adding a post in the forum for a bookring I'm starting with Ogawa's short novel Hotel Iris I realized that I hadn't sent this off yet. Sorry about the delay! As usual, life and the holidays got in the way.

Initially I thought that the book would contain two separate stories; I guess I was misled by the + sign in the title. Now it makes sense!
It's a well-written novella and I enjoyed it well, even though some of the information about the game of baseball went over my head.
After a while I became aware of the "landscapes" subplot. Certain scenes came to a closure with a one/two-sentence description of nature, usually the scene visible from the window of the Professor's cottage. Usually it's a description of the external scene at dusk - details about the natural environment, the quality of the air, or the sky - reflecting the mood/emotional state of the characters. A very nice touch by the author.

Journal Entry 28 by okyrhoe at bookray, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 20, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/20/2012 UTC) at bookray, By Post -- Controlled Releases

On its way by post to lunatum. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 29 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi Finland on Thursday, January 26, 2012

The book arrived today. I have five ring/ray books ahead of this, soit may take while... I try to read this within a month.

Journal Entry 30 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi Finland on Sunday, February 26, 2012

I really enjoyed this book! I've always loved mathematics, though I have't really done it for ten years. I has two possible careers, one was teacher of math and another was doctor. Well, I'm not a teacher... I also liked the whole idea behind the book.

Thank you so much for sharing this book with us! I'll send this forward next week.

Journal Entry 31 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi Finland on Thursday, March 01, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/1/2012 UTC) at Savukoski, Lappi Finland

I mailed the book book forward today.

Journal Entry 32 by wingkobie03wing at Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Book arrived with a lovely bookmark from Finland and a postcard. Thanks so much. looks like a lovely read.

Journal Entry 33 by wingkobie03wing at Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Gem of a book. Beautiful writing, draws you in and keeps your attention as the friendship forms and deepens between the 3 characters. I loved how the simple things, preparing a meal, listening to a ball game on the radio, a trip to the dentist, working on a math equation were used to develop the story. A truly delightful read. another book I would never have read if not for Bookcrossing. Thank you for including me in this ray. As I'm last in the ray I'll ray it forward to another Bookcrosser, This book needs to be shared.

Journal Entry 34 by wingkobie03wing at Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (8/15/2012 UTC) at Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada

Mailed to safrolistics winner of You've Got Mail Sweeps.

Journal Entry 35 by Safrolistics at Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Thankyou. Received the book today..... it obviously went on a little holiday before finally getting to me! lol.
Seems to be a well travelled and liked book, so I'm looking forward to reading it, and then passing it on.