corner corner Ellen Foster

Ellen Foster
by Kaye Gibbons | Literature & Fiction
Registered by TaleofGenji of North Jersey, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, June 23, 2010

status (set by Flossie771): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by TaleofGenji from North Jersey, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Saved from a dumpster, headed out in my "Something for everyone" bookbox!

Journal Entry 2 by TaleofGenji at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (7/7/2010 UTC) at Woodstock, Georgia USA

Headed out into the world via my Potluck Bookbox, happy travels little book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingJennyC1230wing at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, July 15, 2010

Caught from Ctychic's Potluck Bookbox. I don't know much about this book or author, but I really want to try reading it.

The first line definitely packs a punch: "When I was little, I would think of ways to kill my daddy."

Journal Entry 4 by wingJennyC1230wing at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Book Description: In Ellen Foster, the title character is an 11-year-old orphan who refers to herself as "old Ellen," an appellation that is disturbingly apt. Ellen is an old woman in a child's body; her frail, unhappy mother dies, her abusive father alternately neglects her and makes advances on her, and she is shuttled from one uncaring relative's home to another before she finally takes matters into her own hands and finds herself a place to belong. There is something almost Dickensian about Ellen's tribulations; like Oliver Twist, David Copperfield or a host of other literary child heroes, Ellen is at the mercy of predatory adults, with only her own wit and courage--and the occasional kindness of others--to help her through. That she does, in fact, survive her childhood and even rise above it is the book's bittersweet victory.

My Review: I really enjoyed this book, it was dark and seemed to be written by a real girl who has had a hard life and had to grow up too soon. If you liked To Kill a Mockingbird, Forrest Gump, or anything by Fannie Flagg you would probably enjoy this book.

Journal Entry 5 by wingJennyC1230wing at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, February 14, 2011

This book is going travelling in JennyC1230's Kitchen Sink Bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by Flossie771 at Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Selected from JennyC1230's kitchen sink bookbox.