corner corner Company of Liars

Company of Liars
by Karen Maitland | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingraeliz64wing of Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, June 11, 2010

status (set by bookstogive): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingraeliz64wing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, June 11, 2010

From www.fantasticfiction.co.uk
"Midsummer's Day, in 1348. On this day of ill omen, plague makes its entrance. Within weeks, swathes of England will be darkened by death's shadow as towns and villages burn to the ringing of church bells. While panic and suspicion flood the land, a small band of travellers comes togther to outrun the breakdown in law and order. But when one of their number is found hanging from a tree, the chilling discovery confirms that something more sinister than plague is in their midst. And as the runes warn of treachery, it appears no one is quite what they seem, least of all the child rune reader, who mercilessly compels each of her companions to tell their stories. And face the consequences. Take a leap of imagination and embark on an unforgettable journey through the ravaged countryside with only a scarred trader in holy relics, a conjuror, two musicians, and a deformed storyteller for company."

This was an entertaining story although it was perhaps a bit too long and I wasn't keen on the ending.

Journal Entry 2 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 20, 2010

This is going out as a bookray.

WHEN YOU RECEIVE THE BOOK please make a journal entry so everyone knows it has safely arrived. Try to read the book within a month if possible, remember there are people waiting to read the book.
WHEN YOU FINISH THE BOOK, make another journal entry telling us what you thought - did you like it? Did you think it was well-written?
CONTINUE THE BOOKRAY by sending a Private Message to the person after you on the bookring list and request their postal address.
END OF THE RAY, If you are the last person on the list either continue the ray, release it into the wild or to another bookcrosser as you see fit.

Participants:
ReetPetite (UK)
Lizzy-stardust (UK)
0ppem (US)

Journal Entry 3 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Posted to ReetPetite today.

Journal Entry 4 by wingReetPetitewing at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thanks. Next on my TBR.

Journal Entry 5 by wingReetPetitewing at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Brilliant. Loved this book and couldn't put it town. The band appear to be followed by a wolf but is it a human who's hunting them. Loads of mystery & good description of a land ruined by plague and bad harvests where villages became abandoned. I'll have to read the other book by this author.
Thanks for sharing raeliz64
Will PM next on the list.

Journal Entry 6 by wingLizzy-stardustwing at Salford Quays, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Monday, August 23, 2010

Received in today's post. thanks! Will start as soon as I am finished my current read.

Journal Entry 7 by wingLizzy-stardustwing at Salford Quays, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, September 10, 2010

Finished this last night anbd while it was an entertaining yarn and intriguing in that I wanted to read on to find out what became of the characters, I don't think it was particularly well-written. I found the use of magic in this book, as real magic and not just sleight of hand or trickery, to be a turn-off, as I don';t actually believe in magic, Also the ending was ridiculous.

Sending to Oppem today. Hope you enjoy it more than I did.

Journal Entry 8 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Monday, September 20, 2010

Received this book in mail today - thanks for sending my way & will probably begin reading it tomorrow when have finished my 'epic read' of the last week +++...

Journal Entry 9 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What a good read. It is the first book I have read by Karen Maitland but will now be looking for others. Her research into what life probably was like in Medival England is amazing - and then to be able to weave it all into this amazing story... This book is a definate 'page-turner' & one that keeps you guessing right until the very last page.
Will be sending this book on anther journey tomorrow to Italy...

Journal Entry 10 by wingoppemwing at Roma, Lazio Italy on Thursday, September 30, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (9/30/2010 UTC) at Roma, Lazio Italy

Continuation of bookray will be as follows -

1. hayes13 - Italy (post anywhere).
2. souram - Switzerland (post anywhere).
3. fullofbeans - UK. (post EU) <--- book here.***
4. KiwiinEngland - ( IRE). post anywhere.
5. bookmaniac70 - (Bulgaria). prefer EU posting.
6. Russianca ??/- (Russia). ??? postage ??.

Thank you all for joining this 'renewed ray'..

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Roma, Lazio Italy on Saturday, October 16, 2010

Arrived this morning, thank you so much!! I have a few things to read first, but I will get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 12 by wingHayes13wing at Roma, Lazio Italy on Saturday, October 16, 2010

Didn't realize I wasn't signed in when I made the JE... sorry!

Journal Entry 13 by wingHayes13wing at Roma, Lazio Italy on Saturday, November 06, 2010

Starting today... what a fabulous beginning:

"So that's settled then, we bury her alive in the iron bridle. That'll keep her tongue still."

Journal Entry 14 by wingHayes13wing at BookRay, .---controlled release---. Switzerland on Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (11/18/2010 UTC) at BookRay, .---controlled release---. Switzerland

Very weird! Creepy! Perfect for Halloween... thanks for sharing this with me. Off to Souram in Switzerland.

Journal Entry 15 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Thursday, November 25, 2010

Arrived this morning, thanks !

Journal Entry 16 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Wednesday, December 01, 2010

I started reading it a few years ago; I like this book.

Journal Entry 17 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Friday, December 03, 2010

December will be very busy; and I have a lot of work, so I realize I won't find time to read it through :(

Journal Entry 18 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Wednesday, December 08, 2010

I like this book much !
cf. http://www.karenmaitland.com and for French language speakers http://mazel-livres.blogspot.com

Journal Entry 19 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Wednesday, December 08, 2010

On the cover, the tongue - the black tongue of the wolf - "displays" some runes. Does it mean something ? No idea.

Journal Entry 20 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Saturday, December 11, 2010

I finished the book. Great book ! Karen Maitland is a talented writer.

Journal Entry 21 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Sunday, December 19, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (12/20/2010 UTC) at Genève, Genève Switzerland

To be sent to fullofbeans, UK, Durham.

Journal Entry 22 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Sunday, December 19, 2010

Ready to be sent to Durham County, Durham, UK, to fullofbeans, but I didn't get fullofbeans' first email (I don't know why... PC bug ?) and I only need name & address, I have only the address :)

Journal Entry 23 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Someone else is interested by this book:
- Russianca (Russia, Udmurtia, Izhevsk)

Journal Entry 24 by fullofbeans at Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Saturday, January 01, 2011

Received today from Souram! Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 25 by fullofbeans at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, January 21, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (1/21/2011 UTC) at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Posted to KiwiinEngland today! Happy reading!

Journal Entry 26 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Received safely in the post today, thanks everyone for sending it on.

Journal Entry 27 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, February 14, 2011

A dull book that I didn't finish, a yarn in the sense it went on and on and nothing seemed to be happening. I gave up after 250 pages as the undeveloped characters and leaden storyline was just too boring to continue.

This group of people plodded through a country where it continually rained, you had the angry and possibly evil guy with a mysterious box, the pregnant innocent, the weird blonde little girl (children of the corn anyone??), the angry drunk youth, and the insipid narrator who observed the goings on in a colourless manner.

I guess I'm most disappointed as I've wanted to read this book for years, I even wrote the name of it in my Passport so I wouldn't forget.

Journal Entry 28 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Thursday, February 17, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/18/2011 UTC) at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom

Posting via royal mail (first class post) to the next on the list.

Journal Entry 29 by bookmaniac70 at София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Friday, February 25, 2011

Arrived in Sofia. Thanks, KiwiinEngland!

Journal Entry 30 by bookmaniac70 at София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Thursday, March 24, 2011

A quick update- I`m almost finished. Will add my comments soon.

Journal Entry 31 by bookmaniac70 at София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Thursday, March 24, 2011

I enjoyed reading this book. It made me a perfect company during a short trip:-)). The writer managed to create a creepy atmosphere and made me imagine the feel and spirit of ancient times. I pictured for myself every chapter with vivid imagination. It was definitely a page-turner and a good passtime. It`s a pity the ending didn`t make sense, as other readers before me pointed out.

Journal Entry 32 by bookmaniac70 at София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Wednesday, April 06, 2011

I offered this book to my local BC reading group but unfortunately nobody was interested. So I decided to forward it to Moriquen as it`s on her wish list. The book will be mailed after a week or so, when Moriquen comes back from her vacation.

Journal Entry 33 by bookmaniac70 at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, May 05, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (5/5/2011 UTC) at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

Sent to Moriquen.

Journal Entry 34 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Saturday, May 14, 2011

Yeey, the book arrived safe and sound. It definately looks like the kind of book I would like. I'm just crazy about historical fiction. (Certainly this period.) Thanks for sending it my way, bookmaniac!! I'll make sure that it will keep travelling after I'm done with it!

Journal Entry 35 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Monday, July 09, 2012

I have really enjoyed reading this book. It was interesting, creepy and even as haunting as the wolf itself. The ending had me smiling several times for it had some twists I didn't see coming. Especially the last page. That creeped me out completely!
Thanks again for sending it to me bookmaniac. I'll see to it that the book will find someone else who is interested in it!

Edit 02/04/2013: Reserved for bookstogive in the Wishlist Tag Game.

Journal Entry 36 by Moriquen at Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Sunday, May 12, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (5/13/2013 UTC) at Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

On its way to bookstogive. I hope you'll enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 37 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Friday, May 24, 2013

I received this great well travelled book as part of the Wishlist Tag Game, thanks so much for "tagging" me! I am looking forward to reading it very soon and then it can continue to travel.