corner corner The Sun and Moon Corrupted

The Sun and Moon Corrupted
by Philip Ball | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingduffeliwing of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 6/9/2010

status (set by DoZki): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingduffeliwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, June 09, 2010

"Karl Neder - physicist, socialite and all-round agent provocateur - thinks he has made a discovery that will offer mankind energy for free. But no one believes him - or rather, no one understands him. And so he is forced to wander like a vagabond across Cold War Europe, an outcast from his native Hungary, leaving chaos and half-built machines in his wake.

But who, and where, exactly is Karl Neder now? Young journalist Lena Romanowicz wants to find out, hoping to kick-start a stalled career but driven more by motives she would rather not interrogate. Yet to understand Karl Neder she must wrestle with his story, which ranges from the castles of Transylvania to the rocket labs of NASA, from Viennese cafes to the blasted borderlands of the Soviet Union.

Here is a Geiger-counter of a novel that crackles with ideas and shines a bright, brilliant light on the history of science and ideas, and on the fate of would-be geniuses who challenge the orthodoxy of their time."

Journal Entry 2 by wingduffeliwing at By hand, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, September 23, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/23/2010 UTC) at By hand, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

I met Annimanni earlier today and gave her the book :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, September 26, 2010

Thank you! This looks really interesting.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, May 04, 2013

This was an intriguing read. Parts of it were very engaging, parts felt more like lecture - you can tell that Ball has written only nonfiction prior to this book - but all in all I'm glad I picked up this book. Thanks duffeli for passing it on!

This is what the Guardian reviewer thought of the book:

***
ETA 13.5.2013
I'm going to take this with me to the Helsinki meet-up tomorrow.

Journal Entry 5 by wingNiorawing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Sunday, May 19, 2013

Taken from the Helsinki BC meetup on May 14 (happened to be in town again). Seems an interesting read!

Update: I tried but couldn't get into this book, so released it at the Jyväskylä Finncon on July 12, 2014.

Journal Entry 6 by DoZki at Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi / Mellersta Finland Finland on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Picked up at Finncon 2014 for my physicist husband to read, hopefully he likes it!