corner corner The French Gardener: A Novel

The French Gardener: A Novel
by Santa Montefiore | Romance
Registered by LindyLouMac of Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on 6/4/2010

status (set by AnonymousFinder): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by LindyLouMac from Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, June 04, 2010

Product Description Amazon.co.uk
Review
'Intricate and well written perfect for a rainy bank holiday.' (Company )

'A great tale, beautifully told' (New Woman )

'It twangs on every heartstring, presses every button and is utterly irresistible... It's lovely stuff - glossy lifestyle glamour with a soul.. you're spellbound by the sheer charm of the enterprise.' (Daily Express ) --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
Daily Express
'It twangs on every heartstring, presses every button and is utterly irresistible... It's lovely stuff - glossy lifestyle glamour with a soul.. you're spellbound by the sheer charm of the enterprise.' --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
Company
'Intricate and well written perfect for a rainy bank holiday.' --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
New Woman
'A great tale, beautifully told' --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Journal Entry 2 by LindyLouMac at Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Monday, September 05, 2011

It is only two months since I last read and reviewed a book by this author but this one from the blurb on the back cover sounded just perfect for spending a few lazy summer afternoons reading. It was perfect so Santa Montefiore gets to feature here again. These are the words that jumped out at me from the back cover ‘A neglected garden. A cottage that holds a secret. A mysterious Frenchman, (handsome naturally). A family in need of some love. These elements are entwined in this heart warming novel that reviewers consistently compare to Maeve Binchy and Rosamunde Pilcher.’
I have in fact made this very same comparison myself, here in my review of The Swallow and the Hummingbird, when I recommended her writing to all lovers of romantic fiction, especially fans of Rosamunde Pilcher.
The French Gardener is a very romantic story, but not in a sickly sweet way, that found me with tears in my eyes a few times. Maybe I have been feeling a little too sentimental recently but I really enjoyed the way this story was told. The book is divided into the four seasons and within each section there are told the stories of the two families, linked past and present by The French Gardener himself. In modern times we have David and Miranda Claybourne moving out of London and buying Hartington House a country estate. It is not the idyllic lifestyle that Miranda may have imagined partly because her husband is hardly ever there, finds she is lonely. I found her husband to be arrogant and intensely annoying actually for most of the novel! The gardens have been neglected so when a Jean Paul a Frenchman turns up offering to help restore the place to its former beauty Miranda jumps to accept his offer. Little does she know when she takes him on that he has a connection with the garden and the previous residents Phillip and Ava Lightly from nearly thirty years ago. Both stories centre around Hartington House, its garden and the village it is part of. Anyone who has experienced village life for themselves and or loves gardening will appreciate how well Santa Montefiore has captured the essence of the characters and their surroundings. A story that truly captures the struggle to balance love and duty.
Personally I am really looking forward to reading more of her novels and am disappointed that at the moment there are no more sitting on our bookshelves waiting for me.

For a fuller post please visit LindyLouMac's Book Reviews

Journal Entry 3 by LindyLouMac at by post, a birthday RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 09, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (9/12/2011 UTC) at by post, a birthday RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Happy Non Birthday RABCK, better late than never. I saw this on your list months ago, so sorry it has taken so long for me to read and review before sending as your Birthday RABCK. I promise I will try and be more organised next year.

Happy reading

LindyLouMac

Journal Entry 4 by waderwoman at Kegworth, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

OOOh Thankyou so much!! What a fantastic surprise to find popping through my letterbox!
I will thoroughly enjoy getting started on this one! thanks again Lindy!

Journal Entry 5 by waderwoman at Divine Cafe in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 14, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (11/19/2011 UTC) at Divine Cafe in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

I thoroughly enjoyed this, although I didnt think it was quite up to the standard of her previous books. A little bit chick litty for my taste.I will take it to the meet up where hopefully another bookcrosser will take it home.
If you are reading this then you have found me!
Please do a journal entry-Thanks xx
I am taking this along to the meet up- if no one chooses it I will pop it on the shelf.
#3 The release

Journal Entry 6 by Cinderess at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 21, 2011

Picked up at the meet up to pass on.

Journal Entry 7 by Cinderess at Oxford Brookes University Library bookswap trolley in Botley, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (11/23/2011 UTC) at Oxford Brookes University Library bookswap trolley in Botley, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

If this is your introduction to Bookcrossing, welcome!

Please make as many, or few, comments about the book as you wish. The book is now yours to do with as you choose. Keep it, pass it on, but please leave the label, so we can keep in touch with what's happened to it.

If you would like to know what happens to the book if you decide to pass it on, then do join BookCrossing. It's free, private and it's great fun!

And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me Cinderess as your referring member.

*********************************************************************************************************************

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Norh Hinksey, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 23, 2012

plot is well constructed and works but the writing itself is dire, laboured, pedestrian and contrived. If you can cope with that it's a good story.