corner corner The Piano Teacher

The Piano Teacher
by Janice Y. K. Lee | Literature & Fiction
Registered by sing-on-a-star of Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on 6/1/2010

status (set by Annelis): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by sing-on-a-star from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 01, 2010

From Amazon "In 1942, Will Truesdale, an Englishman newly arrived in Hong Kong, falls headlong into a passionate relationship with Trudy Liang, a beautiful Eurasian socialite. But their love affair is soon threatened by the invasion of the Japanese, with terrible consequences for both of them, and for members of their fragile community who will betray each other in the darkest days of the war. Ten years later, Claire Pendleton lands in Hong Kong and is hired by the wealthy Chen family as their daughter's piano teacher. A provincial English newlywed, Claire is seduced by the colony's heady social life. She soon begins an affair, only to discover that her lover's enigmatic demeanour hides a devastating past. As the threads of this compelling and engrossing novel intertwine and converge, a landscape of impossible choices emerges -- between love and safety, courage and survival, the present and above all, the past. "

Charity shop find

Journal Entry 2 by sing-on-a-star at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I really enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down. It was a wonderfully engaging novel that didn't shy away from the harsh realities of war but gave sufficient detail to give me insight.

I didn't particularly like any of the main characters at first, but as the story unfolded I started to have sympathies for all of them and particularly liked Trudy by the end. I wondered what my own reactions would be when presented with the dilemas they faced.

Highly recommendable and I am now sending this to ApoloniaX in her East Asian VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by sing-on-a-star at Virtual book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, September 03, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/3/2010 UTC) at Virtual book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending to ApoloniaX for her East Asian VBB....enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Saturday, September 11, 2010

Thanks a lot, sing-on-a-star!
Especially for the beautiful magnet you sent along with it!!!

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Saturday, October 23, 2010

Unputdownable, I agree! I had the impression the author didn't want her characters to be too sympathetic and thus equipped them with all those flaws, their little cruelties and prejudices. It's very well written, and I especially enjoyed reading about the historical/political background of the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong. Pre-war society is portrayed very well, and then how the occupation changed people's lives, the decisions they had to make... Claire's story lacks a bit of substance in comparison, but rounds off the novel. I hope Janice Lee will write another one soon!

Journal Entry 6 by wingApoloniaXwing at Asian First Page VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 14, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (10/15/2011 UTC) at Asian First Page VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

This book has been chosen from the Asian First Page VBB.
Travelling to Finland now. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Arrived safely, thanks! And thank you too for all the HGG goodies. I'm afraid the chocolates are almost gone already :D

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, February 28, 2013

I wholeheartedly agree with the previous journalers. This was a pleasant surprise, an engaging, well-written story in an interesting setting. The fact that the characters weren't instantly likeable added to the feeling of authencity. The horrors of war and occupation always strike a chord. Thank you for sharing this book!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnnimanniwing at Sokoksen kahvila, PKS-miitti in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 11, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (3/12/2013 UTC) at Sokoksen kahvila, PKS-miitti in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I'm pretty sure this will find a new reader at the Helsinki region meetup.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The book did find a new reader! That's me. The story looks really unputdownable. I'll read the book soon.
Thank you for the book, kind Bookcrossers!