corner corner Python Dance

Python Dance
by Norman Silver | Teens
Registered by harmaja of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 5/30/2010

status (set by Edwardstreet): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by harmaja from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, May 30, 2010

To be read.

Journal Entry 2 by harmaja at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, July 30, 2010

Python Dance was the third book I've read from Norman Silver. It wasn't as brilliant as No Tigers in Africa, but then again it was a lot better then A Monkey's Wedding. Python Dance raises a lot of important personal and societal issues (Ruth's body angst and self esteem, Cyril's homosexuality, Mannie's sexism and blatant abuse, the horrible racism in the whole South African society), but there's no mind-blowing end to the story like there was in No Tigers in Africa. I did enjoy Python Dance, though, and I recommend it to anyone who likes YA books.

Journal Entry 3 by harmaja at SYHA hostel Carn Dearg in Gairloch, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (8/24/2010 UTC) at SYHA hostel Carn Dearg in Gairloch, Scotland United Kingdom

I left this book at the hostel bookshelf. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by wingwildboarhunterwing at Gairloch, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, April 21, 2012

I took this book with me to Germany and I'm sure I'll read it. But it may take some time, since there are other books in queue. After that I'll pass it on to a reader who takes part in the 1 Jahr- 1 Land- Challenge for South Africa. I've already got an idea.

19.02.2013: Read it, because I take now part in the challenge myself. I liked that book a lot. I always like books like this one, describing the thoughts of a young woman that well. The title is from a dance that do the Venda girls when they are becoming an adult as a ritual. The book is like that: telling the story of the development of the body and the mind. The mentioned social problems made me angry, because I just don't understand that separation of Black and White and the life in there. I hope it's different now and think I wouldn't like a holiday in South Africa because of the unjustice there.

Read for the 1 Jahr= 1 land Challenge for South Africa

Journal Entry 5 by wingwildboarhunterwing at Aschaffenburg, Bayern Germany on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (4/25/2013 UTC) at Aschaffenburg, Bayern Germany

The book is going to travel to Australia with Ahoernchen. Enjoy the sunny days dear book! Hope you like it, Ahoernchen! :-)

Journal Entry 6 by wingAhoernchenwing at Aschaffenburg, Bayern Germany on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Received the book todayat Teufel´s Küche, having dinner. Thanks

Journal Entry 7 by wingAhoernchenwing at Green Sage Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Monday, October 07, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (10/12/2013 UTC) at Green Sage Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia

Not quite my cup of tea. Will come along with me to the meet-up in Templestowe this Saturday.

Journal Entry 8 by xtrdnry at Parkdale, Victoria Australia on Saturday, October 12, 2013

I picked this book up today at the Green Sage cafe in Templestowe. It sounds different to the stories I normally read, so I am curious to see what it is like.

Journal Entry 9 by xtrdnry at Parkdale, Victoria Australia on Saturday, May 09, 2015

Aimed at adolescents, this is an interesting look at life in South Africa.

Journal Entry 10 by xtrdnry at Green Sage Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Friday, October 09, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (10/10/2015 UTC) at Green Sage Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia

Taking to the monthly meet up

Journal Entry 11 by wingmarmee463wing at Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Saturday, October 10, 2015

Wow, all the way from Helsinki and it has been traveling for years, it can rest a while at Templestowe. Caught at today's meet-up.

Journal Entry 12 by wingmarmee463wing at Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Monday, October 19, 2015

The story of a girl coming-of-age in South Africa during the 1960s, during unprecedented turbulent times. Some excellent insights in to the injustices and attitudes in South African society at the time.
Overall a very readable tale.
I shall take this to the unconvention in Auckland so it shall reside in New Zealand for a time...

Journal Entry 13 by wingmarmee463wing at Auckland Uncon 2015 in Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Thursday, October 29, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (11/12/2015 UTC) at Auckland Uncon 2015 in Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand

Will release this somewhere/sometime during the unconvention.

To the finder of this book -
Please let me know it is in safe hands by journalling that you have caught it, you are under no obligation to read it and Bookcrossing is completely anonymous.

Journal Entry 14 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Sunday, November 15, 2015

This well travelled book is presently in with me. Thanks for bringing it to an UnCon!!

Journal Entry 15 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Monday, November 30, 2015

This book had th self absorbed teen character played well, in that a lot of the characters (apart from her mother) were somewhat lacking in development....perhaps because she wasn't looking at them.

An interesting read about growing up under apartheid.

Journal Entry 16 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, January 09, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (1/9/2016 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Passed to EdwardStreet while enjoying lunch in this fine Wellington day.

Journal Entry 17 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, January 09, 2016

Tbr