corner corner The Sense of an Ending

The Sense of an Ending
by Julian Barnes |
Registered by wingDeepswampwing of Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Tuesday, May 11, 2010

status (set by marsala): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Winner of the 2011 Man Booker Prize

The story of a man coming to terms with the mutable past, Julian Barnes's new novel is laced with his trademark precision, dexterity and insight. It is the work of one of the world's most distinguished writers.
Tony Webster and his clique first met Adrian Finn at school. Sex-hungry and book-hungry, they navigated the girl drought of gawky adolescence together, trading in affectations, in-jokes, rumour and wit. Maybe Adrian was a little more serious than the others, certainly more intelligent, but they swore to stay friends forever. Until Adrian's life took a turn into tragedy, and all of them, especially Tony, moved on and did their best to forget.

Now Tony is in middle age. He's had a career and a marriage, a calm divorce. He gets along nicely, he thinks, with his one child, a daughter, and even with his ex-wife. He's certainly never tried to hurt anybody. Memory, though, is imperfect. It can always throw up surprises, as a lawyer's letter is about to prove. The unexpected bequest conveyed by that letter leads Tony on a dogged search through a past suddenly turned murky. And how do you carry on, contentedly, when events conspire to upset all your vaunted truths?

Journal Entry 2 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Bokstråle
Panzeranzi
ThursdayN
BAMP
Kirjavinkit
?

Journal Entry 3 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Helt fantastisk!
Vill inte avslöja något... Men stämningen som skapades var speciell!

Journal Entry 4 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (10/27/2011 UTC) at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden

Härligt att ha den här boken framför sig!

Journal Entry 5 by wingPanzeranziwing at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, October 31, 2011

Åååh vilken vacker bok! =) Ser fram emot att läsa den, ska bara klara av en bokklubbsbok först. Och vilket snyggt vykort - det var Marlon som var njutningen, va? =)

Journal Entry 6 by wingPanzeranziwing at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Thursday, November 10, 2011

This is a really cleverly written novel. I'm full of admiration of mr Barnes. By telling and retelling some memories a story turns into a completely new story. I don´t want to say anything more, not to spoil the reading for anybody after me.

I really enjoyed Arthur and George and this novel is also a gem. I'll read more books by Barnes, no doubt about that.

I hope to see ThursdayN soon! =)

Journal Entry 7 by wingPanzeranziwing at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (11/22/2011 UTC) at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

To ThursdayN! =)

Journal Entry 8 by ThursdayN at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, November 28, 2011

Seems really interesting. Thanks for passing this one on. I'll try to read it soonish... ;-)

Journal Entry 9 by ThursdayN at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What an excellent little book! It's a really worthy Booker Prize winner. I've some of Barnes' other books and really enjoyed them as well.

Journal Entry 10 by ThursdayN at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/23/2012 UTC) at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

Released to BAMP. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by wingBAMPwing at Linköping, Östergötland Sweden on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Thank you! A book registered at May 11 must be a good book!

Journal Entry 12 by wingBAMPwing at Linköping, Östergötland Sweden on Sunday, February 05, 2012

For many reasons I really loved this brilliant book!

Journal Entry 13 by wingBAMPwing at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/6/2012 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Finland!
Edit 9/2 2012: Boken postades igår 8/2, låg av misstag kvar i en kasse.

Journal Entry 14 by kirjavinkit at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, February 13, 2012

The book is here. Thanks!

Journal Entry 15 by kirjavinkit at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, February 25, 2012

The short novel tells a long history. The story is divided into two parts, the first one describing the narrator Tony Webster as teenager and young adult. The second part is told by the protagonist in his sixties. The same man; but evidence from the past is to change him from what he thought he was. So at first we read an unreliable narrator who then turns more reliable with the years.

When history is discussed in the class, every self-satisfied young man has his self-evident definition; later Tony remembers the line Adrian used to quote: ‘History is that certainty produced at the point where the imperfections of memory meet the inadequacies of documentation’.
And still later Tony Webster realizes,
How often do we tell our own life story? How often do we adjust, embellish, make sly cuts? And the longer life goes on, the fewer are those around to challenge our account, to remind us that our life is not our life, merely the story we have told about our life. Told to others, but – mainly – to ourselves.

This is a fine novel, well written and thought-provoking. Indeed, it provokes one to thinking, more or less, of him/herself, rather than of Mr. Webster. It is a universally effective study of memory, guilt, and remorse. At the same time, the plot makes a lot of suspense – even such a lot that one could criticize if in the end Veronica’s odd behavior is a bit implausible and just for the suspense.

@Deepswamp: Huge thanks!
I'll keep the book travelling.

Journal Entry 16 by kirjavinkit at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/29/2012 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

This book is listed by many wishers, and I just chose an active and reliable one :)
Enjoy and keep the book moving!

Journal Entry 17 by wingraluk68wing at București, Wallachia Romania on Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Wow!! This is an amazing surprise!! A book from my wish list came out of nowhere, from `a total stranger`! :)

Thank you y kirjavinkit for your generosity!

Journal Entry 18 by wingraluk68wing at București, Wallachia Romania on Monday, April 02, 2012

This was my light read for the week-end ;) I guess I had more expectations form it, but it was not that bad. All in all I did learn something out of it!
I `hate` the considered to be 2 super-smart characters A. and V. They turn out to be `stupid` ... :(
I like the narrator in his `mediocrity` turns out to be the `smart` one :)

I am content to have a sense on Julian Barnes way of writing! :) Thank you for this opportunity!

Journal Entry 19 by wingraluk68wing at București, Wallachia Romania on Friday, April 06, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/6/2012 UTC) at București, Wallachia Romania

I found a new bookcrosser eager to read this book!
Enjoy it! :)

Journal Entry 20 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 11, 2012

raluk68, the book has just arrived. Thank you very much! I will read it soon and try to keep it moving. Look out for a postcard from the Dublin Convention.

Journal Entry 21 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

This book really caught my attention, I picked it up before I finished my main read and just read a few pages out of curiosity. I kept coming back to it until I had finished. I particularly loved part one; the memories of one narrator, which of course unravelled in part two. I thought it beautifully set up with subtle clues and hints along the way, in fact I am about to read it again before I part with it as I think the pleasure will be even stronger the second time around.

Reserved for marsala.

Journal Entry 22 by wingCassiopaeiawing at -- Trains, Tube, Buses --, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, May 24, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/26/2012 UTC) at -- Trains, Tube, Buses --, Greater London United Kingdom

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...
Taking to London meet up for marsala.

Journal Entry 23 by marsala at Chiswick, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, May 26, 2012

Thank you very much!! This book has been recommended to me by several people, so I can't wait to read it.

Journal Entry 24 by marsala at Ravenscourt Park in Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, August 11, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (8/11/2012 UTC) at Ravenscourt Park in Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom

Left this book on a bench in Ravenscourt Park.