corner corner The Commonwealth of Thieves: The Story of the Founding of Australia

The Commonwealth of Thieves: The Story of the Founding of Australia
by Thomas Keneally | Literature & Fiction
Registered by book-man-8 of Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, May 04, 2010

status (set by Esme-Weatherwax): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Edit, May 14, 2010: This is the account of the foundation of New South Wales (Australia) complete with desastrous attitudes toward the Aborigenes. The horrific tales of of the convicts sea-crossings.
It is a well researched historical book with many facts and aspects. Very interesting, at times just a bit longuish to read.

I'm offering this book as a RABCK or RAY.

"UnwrittenLibra" from Baltimore, Maryland, USA (worldwide)
"AgnesXNitt" from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom (Europe)

Journal Entry 2 by book-man-8 at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, May 17, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (5/18/2010 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany

The book is off as a RABCK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingUnwrittenLibrawing from Madison, Wisconsin USA on Monday, May 24, 2010

Arrived on a beautiful day in Baltimore, MD, USA...thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by AgnesXNitt at Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Received yesterday in the post.
Another ring I forgot I had signed up for! Doh!
Right, I have a couple of library books I really need to get out of the way but then I will start on this.
I enjoyed 'The Floating Brothel' - a book about the first boatload of female only convicts shipped out to the Penal Colony in Australia (Botany Bay?) so I hope to find this book, though longer, equally as interesting.
Thanks for hosting this bookray Book-Man-8 and many thanks to Mon Brave, Jacob, for sending on to me ;)

Journal Entry 5 by AgnesXNitt at Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Well, for heaven's sake!! I recently moved and rediscovered this book. Then I had a trade offer from Passeur-X in Alsace, he offered me an Inspector Pitt novel by Anne Perry, in exchange for this book on my TBR pile. So, I read it :) And it was very interesting, though a little hard going in places. The author did a good job on explaining why transportation to Australia had to happen, why the legal system of the UK was so chockablock with people condemned to death commuted to transportation, how the overspill from the established prisons was managed, and how the prisoners and their guards and supplies were sent to Botany Bay. Conditions were much more challenging than anyone could have imagined, and the colony was rife with crime as people struggled to survive in such an unfamiliar and harsh environment.
Anyway, I finished this one over two weeks of lunch hours and posted it off to Passeur-X in France on Saturday 28th April from RAF Wyton Post Office.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by Passeur-X at Strasbourg, Alsace France on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Arrived from Great Britain today.
Thank you very much, AgnesXNitt.

Journal Entry 7 by Passeur-X at Strasbourg, Alsace France on Saturday, May 19, 2012

Interesting historical narrative, indeed.

Journal Entry 8 by Passeur-X at Strasbourg, Alsace France on Sunday, May 20, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (5/21/2012 UTC) at Strasbourg, Alsace France

On its way to Ireland.

Journal Entry 9 by Esme-Weatherwax at Limerick, Co. Limerick Ireland on Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Thanks passeurX for this wishlist book. It looks like a good read.