corner corner Revolutionary Road

Revolutionary Road
by Richard Yates | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 4/28/2010

status (set by Tarna): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

From the back:

"In the hopeful 1950s, Frank and April Wheeler appear to be a model couple: bright, beautiful, talented, with two young children and a starter home in the suburbs. Perhaps they married too young and started a family too early. Maybe Frank's job is dull. And April never saw herself as a housewife. Yet they have always lived on the assumption that greatness is only just around the corner. But now that certainty is about to crumble.

With heartbreaking compassion and remorseless clarity, Richard Yates shows how Frank and April mortgage their spiritual birthright, betraying not only each other, but their best selves."

***

Bought at a flea market in Espoo, Finland.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, August 15, 2014

No wonder this is a classic. It's a dark yet beautifully written story about loneliness, frustration and desperate yearning for something better. A very American book in many ways. I'm glad I finally read it! (I haven't seen the film version.)

***
Next off to someone who has it on their wishlist. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, August 21, 2014

What a wonderful surprise it was! Lukutuoli brought me yesterday one of my most wanted wish list books saying, “I think it's from Annimanni.” Inside the book, I found a beautiful bookmark made by Margih. I suspect you forgot it there by accident. PM me, and I'll be happy to send it back to you, A.

Oh, I'm so happy. We had our local meet-up in a new place called MimiBo Cafe and it proved to be so nice. And then, this book. I've so wanted to read it. THANK YOU, ANNIMANNI!

Best of Everything: The Richard Yates Archive
Richard Yates at Wikipedia
Revolutionary Road at Wikipedia

PS. Revolutionary Road was finalist for the National Book Award in 1962.