corner corner Pole to Pole

Pole to Pole
by Michael Palin | Travel
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 4/28/2010

status (set by Annelis): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

From the back:

"In Pole to Pole we join Michael Palin on the second of his epic journeys. Travelling from the North Pole to the South Pole he experiences every extreme the globe has to offer. As Palin crosses 17 countries by train, truck, raft, Ski-Doo, barge, balloon and bicycle, he meets a diverse range of fascinating characters and landscapes while his own endurance is tested to the limit."

***

Bought at a flea market in Espoo, Finland.

ETA 14.3.2016
Varattu toivelistahipassa sakirmolle.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, April 16, 2016

Hmmm, I'm not quite sure what to say about this book. In a way it's an interesting account of a fascinating journey, but since the crew travels at such a fast pace, we only get to glimpse each location and it feels like Palin just scratches the surface – and occasionally makes rather daring generalisations based on meeting just a few people and spending a day or two in the country he's talking about. I was also peeved by how he managed to mess up the spelling of nearly every Finnish name he mentions. At least the book's editor should have checked those.

***
Next off to sakirmo as part of the wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 3 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The book made it here, thank you!! :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Friday, August 19, 2016

I spent several weeks reading this, a few chapters at a time, so perhaps I missed something in the intensity and overall atmosphere of their trip. But anyway I enjoyed it and he really was travelling at a particularly eventful time, with everything that went on in the world in early 90's. I was almost disappointed when the trip ended but hey, I still haven't read 'Full Circle' yet...!

Journal Entry 5 by wingsakirmowing at Miitti / Meet-up in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, August 20, 2016

Released 10 mos ago (8/20/2016 UTC) at Miitti / Meet-up in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

At the meet-up

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, August 20, 2016

This seems an interessant story to me.
Thank you for the book, kind bookcrossers!