corner corner The Cuckoo's Parting Cry

The Cuckoo's Parting Cry
by Anthea Halliwell | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 4/28/2010

status (set by Annelis): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

From the back:

"For Fidgie, growing up in the 1930s, the long school holiday stretched blissfully ahead. With her new friend Chaz as companion for idyllic summer days by the sea, she was able frequently to escape her edgy mother and her malicious older sister, Cly. Her father, mercifully, was away from home...

Through Fidgie's clear eyes of the events of a brief hot spell in August unfold: her family and neighbours become involved in adultery, deception, and other, darker, misdemeanours. The eight-year-old is an engaging and lively narrator; swept along in her extraordinarily compelling tale, the reader will realise that underlying Fidgie's innocent accounts of family meals, fishing trips round the bay, tree-climbing and playing at May Queens, a very adult sub-text is developing. Its conclusion is both tragic and inevitable."

***

Bought at a flea market in Espoo, Finland.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, June 23, 2014

Beautiful and atmospheric, recommended reading! Made me want to explore Wales properly (I've only been to Cardiff, briefly).

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, August 22, 2014

And poor me who have never visited Wales! Maybe reading this book will get me to an journey to Wales. You never know. More likely I'll travel to Oxford next year - and to London.
Thank you for the book, Annimanni!