corner corner The Girl Next Door

The Girl Next Door
by Elizabeth Noble | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingBookgeowing of Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa Finland on Saturday, April 24, 2010

status (set by Annelis): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingBookgeowing from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa Finland on Saturday, April 24, 2010

This was my second Christmas holiday purchase from a London bookshop Foyles. Paperback by Penquin Books, 451 pages.

Synopsis:

"What makes a house a home?

For Eve Gallagher, home is miles away in England since she and her husband relocated to an apartment building on New York's Upper East Side. And life isn't coming up roses.

What makes a neighbor a friend?

Violet has lived in the building for decades, but she's always kept herself apart, until Eve's loneliness touches her heart.

What makes a wife a lover?

Jason Kramer in apartment 6A is no longer sure he loves his wife, but he's head over heels for Rachel Schulman in 6B.

What makes the girl next door the woman of your dreams?

Meeting Emily Mikanowski from 3A turns Trip Grayling's world upside down. It's love at first sight, but he needs help from Charlotte, the shy romance novel addict in 2A, if he's going to get his girl.

Dreams come true, hearts are broken and no one is left unchanged when the secrets and desires hidden behind closed doors are finally brough into the light."

EDIT: Sep 4, 2012 Reserved for Sanatarkkaan 2 challenge

Journal Entry 2 by wingBookgeowing at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa Finland on Monday, September 24, 2012

I have loved the books by Elizabeth Noble I have read so far and this one made no exception to that. Wonderful New York surroundings and a glimpse, even a fictional one, behind those elegant high-rise buildings with a grand lobby with courteous doormen.

A story with great characters, a functioning plot even with the large amount of persons to follow. Very precise reflections to perhaps the biggest emotional themes in life. Noble writes very skillfully about the sadness of loneliness, the joy of finding somebody to love, the struggle to cope with a devastating loss and the will power to work for your commitment. This book is warm, emotional and humorous too. Cry or laugh, impossible to read this with blunt feelings.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBookgeowing at a fellow bookcrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 24, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (9/24/2012 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

I will take this book to em64 next, hope she likes it too. Wishing you a colorful autumn!

Sanatarkkaan 2 challenge

Journal Entry 4 by wingem64wing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Monday, September 24, 2012

I just feel myself so pampered... Bookgeo had been kind enough to bring the book to me at home, thank you so much. It looks like an interesting read!

Journal Entry 5 by wingem64wing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Sunday, October 20, 2013

The beginning was a bit slow, there were so many people in the story that it was bit of a challenge to get into it. Slowly the story and the people got interesting and it was an enjoy to read. The end was again a bit slow. The people were believable and Noble tells also about the dark shades of life with understanding. I did enjoy this book.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Friday, September 26, 2014

The book is now in Kerava. It looks like a nice story. Thank you for the book, Bookgeo and EM64!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnneliswing at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Released 1 mo ago (10/14/2014 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

I 'll take the book to the meat-up in Helsinki.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Nobody took the book this time. I took it back home.