corner corner Round Ireland with a Fridge

Round Ireland with a Fridge
by Tony Hawks | Travel
Registered by wingTsjarawing of Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, April 20, 2010

status (set by VictoriaWagtail): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingTsjarawing from Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, April 20, 2010

(Amazon.com)
I hereby bet Tony Hawks the sum of One Hundred Pounds that he cannot hitchhike round the circumference of Ireland, with a fridge, within one calendar month'. A foolhardy attempt to win a drunken bet led to Tony Hawks having one of the most unforgettable experiences of his life. Joined by his trusty travelling-companion-cum-domestic-appliance, he found himself in the midst of a remarkable, inspirational and, at times, downright silly adventure. In their month of madness, Tony and his fridge surfed together; entered a batchelor festival; and one of them had sex without the other knowing. The fridge got christened, and they even met the poorest king on Earth. An absurd story of an extraordinary adventure, Round Ireland with a Fridge follows the fearless pair as they battle towards Dublin and a breathtaking finale that is moving, uplifting, and a fitting conclusion to the whole ridiculous affair.

Claimed by ApoloniaX at the European Pay it Forward Book Relay :)

Journal Entry 2 by wingTsjarawing at Heiloo, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, May 03, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (5/3/2010 UTC) at Heiloo, Noord-Holland Netherlands

The book is now in its way to Bremen :)

Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The fridge book just arrived along with tea and candy :-)
Thank you, Tsjara!

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Saturday, May 22, 2010

A great, amusing read, this book is truly hilarious - a wonderful, dry sense of humour, expressed very eloquently. It made me break into giggles pretty often (a great book to read on the bus or so). I also like the way Hawks depicts Ireland. But he shouldn’t be surprised that no woman would ever call him back though…

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ring with a twist (completed): Send it along with a fridge magnet
(none of those advertisement ones, please, but a magnet of your city or region or some artsy one).

- Sardonyx, UK, ship UK/EU (int'l if needed)
- RonOren, UK, ship int'l
- sing-on-a-star, UK, ship EU (int'l if needed)
- Kayellbee, UK, ship EU
- nmugirl, US, ship intl
- laure69, France, ship EU
- ApoloniaX

- Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
- When you receive the book & magnet, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received them
- Please try to finish it within four weeks
- When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
- Make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
- Make a release note to let everyone know that it's in the mail
- Send the book AND A MAGNET OF YOUR CITY OR REGION to the next person on the list

Journal Entry 6 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Thursday, May 27, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (5/28/2010 UTC) at Bremen, Bremen Germany

Travelling to Sardonyx now.
Along with some magnets and a magnetic bookmark.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by Sardonyx at London , Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 02, 2010

The Book and magnets arrived!

I felt like a child at Christmas when my OH brought the package inside! I loved the magnets, bookmark and labels :) Sending a big thank you to ApoloniaX.

5th June 2010 - I have just finished reading this book. What a funny story... It had me giggling on the tube to work much to the dismay of the passengers travelling near me. There were definitely some funny looks being shot in my direction. It was a very enjoyable read.

Waiting on RonOren for an address to pass it on

Journal Entry 8 by RonOren at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Arrived yesterday and I've started on it immediately. So far, I'm fully agreeing with Sardonyx that there are snickering moments in there (and undoubtedly laugh-out-loud ones as well). So I'm really looking forward to the rest of it!

Thanks also for the absolutely brilliant fridge magnet, Sardonyx! It will have pride of place at all of our houseparties, barbeque, or whenever we open a beer in the house. So pretty much, we'll use it every other day... :-)

Journal Entry 9 by RonOren at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Yep, this was pretty much was I expected from it. Many chuckling moments and the odd laugh-out-loud one, but the overwhelming effect it had was to increase even further my (rather irrational) love for the Irish. I can't imagine any other country taking such an eejit into their hearts and making such a fuss over what is, in the end, a silly bet. Aren't they a lovely people!

I've been trying to pick a favourite bit, but I can't. All I can say is that I loved the epilogue...

Thanks ever so much for sharing this, ApoloniaX! I'll get in touch with sing-on-a-star and get both book and fridge magnets moving soon.

Journal Entry 10 by RonOren at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 01, 2010

Going to sing-on-a-star tomorrow. Hope you'll enjoy the book, and the magnet (which is from Broadstairs, rather than Cambridge).

Journal Entry 11 by sing-on-a-star at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Monday, July 05, 2010

Received in the post today with a cute lighthouse magnet. Thank you! I'm in the middle of a book so will read this next week.

Journal Entry 12 by sing-on-a-star at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Very easy to read, and lots of funny moments. I loved how his story spread far and wide in Ireland, and the many quirky folk he met.

Have Kayellbee's address so it will be off to her in the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 13 by sing-on-a-star at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (7/28/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending to Kayellbee with a few extras - enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by Kayellbee at Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 31, 2010

Recieved - with goodies - thank you! I'm taking this to read on holiday, so it might be 2-3 weeks before I can post it on, but I promise to find a really nice fridge magnet to go with it!

Journal Entry 15 by TiffanyAching at Burntisland, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, December 20, 2010

arrived today in Snowy Scotland

I will read this over the holiday season and have it on it's way

Journal Entry 16 by TiffanyAching at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/3/2011 UTC) at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

I am so SORRY!

I did finish this a few weeks back but have only just got round to posting, huge apologies for taking so long

On it's way to blackeiwaz x

Journal Entry 17 by blackteiwaz at San Pedro, San José Costa Rica on Wednesday, April 06, 2011

It's here! And it arrived with a lovely little bagpiper for my fridge! I'm thrilled! :) Thank you Tiffany! I have another bookring ahead of this one, but will try to hurry to pass it along.

Journal Entry 18 by blackteiwaz at San Pedro, San José Costa Rica on Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (6/29/2011 UTC) at San Pedro, San José Costa Rica

I really enjoyed it, and laughed out loud in some parts. It is a light, entertaining read, uplifting in a way, thank you for sharing!
I sent this book today to the next reader, since it appears like the Post strike in Canada is over as of today. I sent it certified, here is the confirmation number: RR040232189CR.
Enclosed is a handmade magnet. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 19 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Arrived safely today, along with a lovely magnet (you're very talented, blackteiwaz!), a gorgeous postcard that brightened up a gray day, and several bookmarks. Thanks so much!

I will have this read and on its way as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 20 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I really enjoyed this book! The writing was funny and the author met some great characters on his travels.

I've PMed collectorkerri for her address.

Journal Entry 21 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (8/25/2011 UTC) at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

I didn't get time to mail this out before I went on vacation, but now it's on its way to collectorkerri by surface mail.

Journal Entry 22 by wingcollectorkerriwing at Springfield, Illinois USA on Saturday, September 03, 2011

Received today. Will read ASAP.

Journal Entry 23 by wingcollectorkerriwing at Springfield, Illinois USA on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

This book was hilarious. After wanting to visit Ireland for years, thanks to Maeve Binchy, this book makes me want to visit Ireland even more. Perhaps when the kids are older we'll finally take a trip there. Tony Hawks is a funny writer (like RonOren, I loved the epilogue), and I'd like to read more by him.

On it's way to nmugirl with a magnet shaped like the great state of Illinois.

Journal Entry 24 by nmugirl at Frankfort, Michigan USA on Sunday, October 02, 2011

The just opened the package with the book and magnet. A neat magnet of Illinois. I'l start the book tommorrow.

Journal Entry 25 by nmugirl at Frankfort, Michigan USA on Saturday, October 08, 2011

The book was sent to laure69 yesterday. What a funny quick read. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 26 by laure69 at Paris, Ile-de-France France on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Arrived yesterday with two nice magnets.
Thank you.

Journal Entry 27 by laure69 at Paris, Ile-de-France France on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Completely crazy but very nice. Some kind of very original travel diary. I loved the episode with the nuns and was amazed by this man's drinking capabilities.

The book is going back to ApoloniaX tomorrow.

Journal Entry 28 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Friday, October 28, 2011

The ring has come home!
Merci beaucoup, laure69 - I got a lovely magnet from Paris, a street sign of Rue Saint-Louis en l'Île!

Journal Entry 29 by wingApoloniaXwing at A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, October 30, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (10/31/2011 UTC) at A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

RABCK for you, along with a little home-made magnet.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 30 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Monday, November 07, 2011

Woho, I won a RABCK! :) Thank you so much ApoloniaX, this book looks very interesting and I look forward to reading it and to learning more about Ireland (a coutry I'd very much like to visit). And thank you too for the Janis fridge magnet, I love it :)