corner corner The Wind-up Bird Chronicle

The Wind-up Bird Chronicle
by Haruki Murakami | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Amsterdam2010 of Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, April 12, 2010

status (set by mathgirl40): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Amsterdam2010 from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, April 12, 2010

Amazon.com Review
Bad things come in threes for Toru Okada. He loses his job, his cat disappears, and then his wife fails to return from work. His search for his wife (and his cat) introduces him to a bizarre collection of characters, including two psychic sisters, a possibly unbalanced teenager, an old soldier who witnessed the massacres on the Chinese mainland at the beginning of the Second World War, and a very shady politician.
Haruki Murakami is a master of subtly disturbing prose. Mundane events throb with menace, while the bizarre is accepted without comment. Meaning always seems to be just out of reach, for the reader as well as for the characters, yet one is drawn inexorably into a mystery that may have no solution. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is an extended meditation on themes that appear throughout Murakami's earlier work. The tropes of popular culture, movies, music, detective stories, combine to create a work that explores both the surface and the hidden depths of Japanese society at the end of the 20th century.

If it were possible to isolate one theme in The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, that theme would be responsibility. The atrocities committed by the Japanese army in China keep rising to the surface like a repressed memory, and Toru Okada himself is compelled by events to take responsibility for his actions and struggle with his essentially passive nature. If Toru is supposed to be a Japanese Everyman, steeped as he is in Western popular culture and ignorant of the secret history of his own nation, this novel paints a bleak picture. Like the winding up of the titular bird, Murakami slowly twists the gossamer threads of his story into something of considerable weight.

Donated by the American Book Center for the BC Convention 2010 in Amsterdam. Thank you!

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Tuesday, April 20, 2010

So glad to have found this at the Convention's book buffet.
Now I can get my stalled ray going again!

Paperback, 450g, 607 pages.

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bookray: (completed)
This is the stand-in book for another copy, that seems to be stalled.
- shelj7k, Ireland
- pinkydinky, UK
- shovelmonkey1, UK
- okyrhoe, Greece
- Tsjara, NL

The usual:
- Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
- When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
- Please try to finish it within two months
- When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
- Make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
- Make release notes to let everyone know that it's in the mail
- Send the book to the next person on the list

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (4/22/2010 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to shelj7k.
Hope you like it. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The book arrived with me yesterday, Yay!! Apologies for only journalling now, but I was away from my computer all day. I am very much looking forward to starting this book this evening, so a big thank you to ApoloniaX!

Journal Entry 6 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Saturday, May 22, 2010

The phrase "a long and winding road" comes to mind as I try to describe this book. I must say that I found it a little slow at first, but soon I was in the surreal and poetic world of Haruki Murakami and his wonderfully written characters. It then became a case of "just 10 more pages" and some late nights reading! The stories of the characters Toru Okada met through the novel were bizarre and sometimes disturbing. There were plots and sub-plots and these were not tied up nicely with a bow at the end of the novel, leaving you with more questions than answers. It is difficult to be sure what it was all about when you reach the end, and yet it was thought-provoking and it has stayed with me in the couple of days since finishing it! My favourite Murakami so far.

Thank you again, ApoloniaX for the opportunity to read it and for your patience as it has been with me some time now. I will mail it on as soon as I have confirmed the address of the next reader.

Journal Entry 7 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, May 24, 2010

Tsjara has asked to be skipped. PMing pinkydinky now.

25 May 2010: having problems making release notes now that the site has changed over, even making and editing JEs is causing me problems, but sent the book out today.

Journal Entry 8 by pinkydinky at Melksham, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Thanks for this. Putting it on top of MTBR.

Journal Entry 9 by pinkydinky at Melksham, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 17, 2010

A strange book. In some places it is totally surreal and you question the character's sanity. I loved it and would definitely recommend it.

Journal Entry 10 by pinkydinky at Melksham, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 25, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (6/25/2010 UTC) at Melksham, Wiltshire United Kingdom

Posted to shovelmonkey1 today.

Journal Entry 11 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Monday, June 28, 2010

Received today - will read and release as soon as i can. Thanks to everyone for keeping this bookring moving.

Journal Entry 12 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Started reading today on the train so it will be heading off to Greece this week.

Journal Entry 13 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Monday, July 05, 2010

This book has taught me that I still love Haruki Murakami books! Hurrah for the weirdness that is his way of writing. This book has an oddly disjointed and labyrinthine story line which spreads in all directions, a little like the thoughts of the main character Toru Okada. Is this a book about causality? Would he have met any of the people in this book if Kumiko was still around? Who knows! I really liked the idea of a bird winding the spring of the world to keep it going though. My favourite Murakami book is still Kafka on the Shore.

Journal Entry 14 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Monday, July 05, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (7/5/2010 UTC) at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom

Iyi günlar Okyrhoe - bu iyi bir kitap! Hope you enjoy this one.

Journal Entry 15 by okyrhoe at Athens, Attica Greece on Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Arrived in Athens! Teşekkürler!

Journal Entry 16 by okyrhoe at Athens, Attica Greece on Saturday, August 14, 2010

Well, I just finished reading the book, and it kind of took me longer than expected.
The odd thing is that in a way my reality mirrored that of Toru Okada. Instead of the sound of the wind-up bird and phone calls from anonymous women upsetting my daily routine, I was distracted by the loud cries of my 90+yr old father coming from across the street. Every morning he'd awaken to find himself in a reality separate from mine. He was certain that he was in another country, and suitcase in hand he was on his way to a travel agent or to the airport to 'return' to Greece...because the border would be closing soon, because his passport would expire in half an hour, because it was all so terrible, because terrible things were going to happen and he had to find a way to prevent them from happening. Other times when I'd visit he'd say he wanted to show me the (nonexistent) letters from Geneva he had just received, letters which he spent hours searching for in his briefcase until I was forced to tell him, you can show me the letters tomorrow it's late, past my bedtime and I have to leave now, for only then would he close the briefcase.
The possibility that the similarities between Toru's confusion over the psychedelic parallel realities and my father's disease would prevent me from enjoying Murakami's story was there...and yet that's not why I was disappointed by the novel.
What diminished my enjoyment of the book is the sensation I had time and time again that the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle resemble very much the uncanny films of David Lynch. So many instances in which I thought I was reading a Japanese version of Twin Peaks or Mulholland Drive. Don't get me wrong, I like David Lynch very much. But I do feel I can now sit down and write pages upon pages linking the elements from the works of one to the other (Noboru Wataya = Mr. Palmer, etc.) that I know I didn't really fully appreciate Murakami's story as I should have.
I'll probably come back to this j.e. later on and add some more comments (it is a lengthy novel and there's so much to say) .
-----------
(Contacting the next reader and I will post the book as soon as I have a mailing address.)

Journal Entry 17 by okyrhoe at Athens, Attica Greece on Saturday, August 14, 2010

By the way, if anyone would like to try out the Zen-inspired experience of being at the bottom of a well, I can suggest the voided void in Berlin. I unexpectedly found myself in there with no other visitors sharing the space with me, and the mind-altering experience I had at the sudden realization that I was all alone during that time was quite similar to the descriptions of lieutenant Mamiya and Toru Okada in the novel.

Journal Entry 18 by okyrhoe at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, August 19, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (8/19/2010 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way by post to Tsjara. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 19 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, August 26, 2010

Arrived here safely yesterday. Thanks for sending and the lovely card okyrhoe! Feels as if I'm reading a lot of Murakami lately (Read Sputnik Sweetheart at the beginning of the month, and had Kafka on the Shore a couple of weeks before that :p). I'm looking forward to it though as I quite like his writing. Thanks ApoloniaX for organizing the bookray! (I hope it's okay if it takes a bit longer.. I have a couple of rings/rays in front of this one)

Journal Entry 20 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (11/24/2010 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Finally finished reading it this morning, took me longer than I expected (will add comments later)..

Edit (24 December 2010): I came across The Thieving Magpie lately, and I realised that I forgot to make a proper JE ;p (so here it is.. better late than never). It was quite a long read but I enjoyed it a lot. It was all quite strange, and you don't really get an answer at the end (what happened to the other characters?).. it does keep you thinking though. And Murakami has a very nice writing style (sort of neat..? can't think of the right word..) so you don't really mind. Oh and the main character made a interesting observation, which I found quite funny.. Something like it was only since he lived together with his wife, that he noticed that he was part of the universe (or something..) and that he could judge from the phases of the moon when the period of his wife was coming (or the other way around). (I never thought of it that way haha :p)

The book is now travelling to Mathgirl40 in Canada (who chose this from the Japanese VBB).
Hope you'll enjoy it!
(Package nr: 3SRZ013141316)

Journal Entry 21 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Saturday, December 04, 2010

This book, which I chose from Samrana's Japanese Authors VBB, arrived today. I'd read Kafka on the Shore and After Dark earlier this year and liked both very much, so I'm really looking forward to reading another Murakami.

Journal Entry 22 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/8/2011 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

I liked this novel very much, as much as Kafka on the Shore and more than After Dark, the other Murakami novels I'd read earlier. There are many complex storylines in this lengthy book, but they all come together in the end.

I've passed this book along to a friend.