corner corner The Gargoyle

The Gargoyle
by Andrew Davidson | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingardachywing of Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on 4/7/2010

status (set by bookguide): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingardachywing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Purchased from the RSPCA Charity Shop in Prettygate, Colchester for bookcrossing. This is what I wrote about an earlier copy - "An impressive first novel. If you like certainty in a novel and you do not like graphic descriptions of burns and their treatment this is not the book for you. However, if it is just fine story telling you like, then you should enjoy it."

Journal Entry 2 by wingardachywing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Reserved to take to the BookCrossing Convention in Amsterdam.

Journal Entry 3 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, April 18, 2010

I took this one with me from the 2010 World Convention; it will be released again after reading.

Journal Entry 4 by AnnevO at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, July 05, 2010

I took this book with me on holiday and absolutely loved it.

I think I know someone who'll enjoy it as much as I did, so I'll pass it on.

Journal Entry 5 by AnnevO at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, July 19, 2010

This is going to be a Dutch bookring - I also started one for the Dutch translation of this book.

This one will be travelling to:
- Barbje
- EmEli
- Suzy26
- bookguide <--
- ...
- you ?

FInally, it will return to me so I can reread it before releasing.

Journal Entry 6 by wingBarbjewing at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, August 02, 2010

Received the book today, looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 7 by wingBarbjewing at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ik ben halverwege dit spannende, intrigerende, bijzondere boek. Het gaat alleen niet zo snel! Maar ik lees elke dag een stukje en het is in goede handen...

Journal Entry 8 by wingBarbjewing at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, October 15, 2010

Finished the book, finally, and loved it! Thank you very much for pointing it out to me AnnevO.

Being a paleographer myself, I especially liked the bits about the old books, allthough the whole story, or should I say stories, was very, very enjoyable.

PM'ing Emeli for her address, will make a release note when posted.

Journal Entry 9 by wingBarbjewing at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, October 17, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (10/16/2010 UTC) at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

Gisteren op de bus gegaan, op naar Emeli!

Journal Entry 10 by EmEli at Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

En ontvangen, ben benieuwd!

Journal Entry 11 by EmEli at Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, November 27, 2010

It took a while before I really got into the story but when I did it was amazing! I am going to recommend this book to other people.

Edit 16-12: I mailed the book to Suzy26 last Tuesday.

Journal Entry 12 by wingSuzy26wing at Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, December 17, 2010

Book arrived today. Thank you for sending it to me, EmEli!

Journal Entry 13 by wingSuzy26wing at Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

If ever I wanted to read a story about a man who has lost all his equipment, it was now (my husband of 15 years just left me for someone else), so this was the perfect book for me to start reading again. Although this is not a book I would normally pick up, I quite enjoyed it, for as much as I can enjoy anything at the moment.

Book was sent to bookguide on 5/3/2011.

Journal Entry 14 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Safely arrived in my letterbox today. I'm looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 15 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, April 14, 2011

An extraordinary, fabulous and imaginative book chronicling a story of ultimate sacrifice and neverending love. Despite the gruesome descriptions of the burn treatment, and the descriptions of hell, both of which I managed to be reading while I was eating, unfortunately, I was completely entranced by 'The Gargoyle'. I just couldn't put it down. Marianne Engel's stories spanning the centuries were perfect folk tales from around the world. From Japan, with the tale of the glassblower who sculpted her lover in glass and whispered the words for "I love you" into each flower and leaf; from Germany, with the tale whose life is destroyed by the plague; from England, where the noble-born farmer's wife pines away for her love lost at sea; from Iceland, where the family friend sacrifices himself to save a tiny baby. Finally, the overarching story of Marianne Engel and her forgetful friend, the horrifically burned "gargoyle" of the title. This book is absolutely stunning!

Journal Entry 16 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (11/12/2011 UTC) at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands

Finally sent back to AnnevO. Thank you so much for letting me read it. And, guess what? Somebody sent me a PM asking to be added to the ring, the day after I'd posted it:-s

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before June 2010. My reading goal is 75 books.
- Pages Read Challenge - read a self-set target number of pages in 2011. My goal is 25,000.

EDIT: AnnevO has received this book, but has not made a JE yet as she is in the throes of moving house. I was worried about it, sent her a PM, and luckily she could reassure me that, although I sent it to her old address, the new people had passed it on to her. Phew!