corner corner Javatrekker: Dispatches From the World of Fair Trade Coffee

Javatrekker: Dispatches From the World of Fair Trade Coffee
by Dean Cycon | Education
Registered by Sfogs of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, April 04, 2010

status (set by k00kaburra): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by Sfogs from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, April 04, 2010

Everyone Coffee drinkers or not!
An Amazing read! This book will tell you what really happened, so that you could get your morning coffee. See the highs and lows, Amazing true stories of coffee farmers from all over the world! A real gem!

*I brought this book from my local Trade Aid shop with my birthday money! and I plan on sending it on it's own adventure, to help spread the word!*

*From Back*
In each cup of coffee the major issues of the twenty-first century-globalization, immigration, women's rights, pollution, indigenous rights, and self-determination-are played out in villages and remote areas around the world. In 'Javatrekker: Dispatches from the World of Fair Trade Coffee', a unique hybrid of Fair Trade business study, adventure travel, and cultural anthropology, author and coffee entreneur Dean Cycon introduces readers to the real people who make our morning coffee ritual possiable-people that few, if any,outsiders have ever seen. Readers are introduced to the Mamos of Colombia-holy men who believe they are literally holding the world together-despite the effects of climate change caused by us, their "younger brothers". And Cycon takes readers on a trip through an ancient forestin Ethiopia where many believe that coffee was first discovered 1,500 years ago by the goatherd Kaldi. Rich with stories of people, landscapes, and customs, 'Javatrekker' offers a deep appreciation and understanding of the global trade and culture of coffee.

Countries this book has been to:

New Zealand
Germany
United Arab Emirates
Norway
Canada

visited 12 states (5.33%)
Create your own visited map of The World or Free ipad travel guide

Starting a bookray with it:

1.) labmomnm -US (Int'l post) *Done*
11.) DubaiReader -United Arab Emirates (Int'l post)*Done*
12.) GronnLivsstil -Norway (Int'l post)*Done*
13.) Kally93 -Canada (?)*Done*
14.) k00kaburra -USA (US/Canada post)*Here*
15.) LittleWhiteBird -USA (US/Canada post)
16.) azuki -USA (US/Canada post)
17.) oliviapoolside -USA (Int'l post)
18.) judygreeneyes -USA (US/Int'l post)
19.) VictoriaWagtail -Sweden (presuming EU post)
20.) lamelemon -Romania (EU/Int'l post)
21.) carmendoran -UK (UK/EU post)
22.) Abi-Gibby -UK (presuming EU post)
23.) iiwi -Netherlands (EU/Int'l post)
24.) Icila -France (Int'l post)

Journal Entry 2 by Sfogs at Christchurch, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- New Zealand on Thursday, April 08, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (4/7/2010 UTC) at Christchurch, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- New Zealand

In the post and on it's way to the USA!

Journal Entry 3 by winglabmomnmwing from Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Thursday, April 15, 2010

Arrived 2 days ago - sorry for not journalling right away, but it has been one of those exhausting weeks at work & I've been strictly anti-computer at home!

24 April 2010 update (I forgot to do this before making the release note!) - I didn't make it all the way through this book; something about the author's tone really put me off. it is an interesting subject, but I think I'll see if I can find something written by someone "outside" the process...more strictly non-fiction & less agenda. But thanks for the chance to try it!

Journal Entry 4 by winglabmomnmwing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 24, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (4/24/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to karen07814

Journal Entry 5 by wingkaren07814wing from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, April 30, 2010

excellent, my kind of book and it means I can put down Childrens Book A S Byatt and give up on booker (again)

snag is...there's already one other book in the back that I now have to buy!

OK the Children's book has moved onwards and I've now enjoyed this one far more than I ever would have done that one.

As someone whose idea of a good film is Black Gold it was interesting to find the same people in he book and to meet others from other lands.

Once again I'm made to feel grateful for being born into a democracy, whether or not I usually bemoan it.

I don't have someone take away more than I am expecting from my income arbitrarily, I am allowed to sell what I want to who I want and buy anything I can afford.

And yes this does mean fair trade coffee. I long since had the argument with myself over whether or not I should buy Nestle organic/green pay the extra and hope it gets to where it's supposed to.

Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 6 by katrinat from Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 19, 2010

arrived this week, thanks for sending

Journal Entry 7 by katrinat at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, July 05, 2010

I've nearly finished with this book, will get the next address so I can send it on promptly. Sorry for the hold up.

Journal Entry 8 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Monday, July 12, 2010

Arrived safely in the morning post - thanks very much for sending this on. I am very excited about the monkey stickers :)

Journal Entry 9 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Saturday, July 24, 2010

I finished this book yesterday and am glad I read it. Although it tried to achieve a little too much for one small book (I think Dean could probably fill one or two more books with his java-trekking tales), it was informative and each chapter was different. I've learned a lot more about my thrice daily cup of coffee and even though I always buy fairtrade, i'm now better versed in the background history of the places that the beans began their life. I especially enjoyed the chapter on Papua New Guinea (where can I get my own Paman Dean?)
This book is now ready to travel to South Africa.

Journal Entry 10 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Saturday, July 24, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (7/24/2010 UTC) at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom

This book is now trekking to mrbaggins1 in South Africa. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by mrbaggins1 at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Friday, July 30, 2010

Arrived today from the monkey now shoveling dirt in Turkey me thinks. Thanks for sharing. I have a couple in front of this one but will get 'round to it ASAP.

NB: The pages are coming loose from the spine. I'll repair it as best I can.

Journal Entry 12 by mrbaggins1 at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I finished this last night and it was a great read about Fair Trade Coffee around the world and I learned a lot about the coffee industry in the process. The one error I found in the first part of the book that deals with Fair Trade Coffee in Africa is that Cycon refers to an incident where someone was attacked by a Jaguar, There's no Jaguars in Africa (except the British Automobile) - I think he meant a leopard. I plan to do some sort of blogpost on my LJ about the book particularly about the Death Trains and the Cafè Linder in Lèon - I did not know about any of this before reading "Javatrekker" - I highly recommended read & thanks for sharing - contacting the next in line.

ETA: My blogpost about the Cafe Linder: http://mrbaggins1.livejournal.com/74072.html

Journal Entry 13 by mrbaggins1 at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Friday, October 29, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (10/29/2010 UTC) at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

Released to Hayes13 in Italy by surface mail today.....with some more tea :)
The BX'er in Romania before her did not respond to PM's

Journal Entry 14 by wingHayes13wing at Roma, Lazio Italy on Monday, January 24, 2011

Arrived this morning. Thank you Mrbaggins1 for the book and for the Rooibos Tea! *runs to put the kettle on*

Journal Entry 15 by wingHayes13wing at Bangkok, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Thailand on Monday, February 14, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/14/2011 UTC) at Bangkok, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Thailand

This was really fascinating! Oh, the things I learned about my cup of coffee. I've decided to start buying Fair Trade coffee from the local COOP supermarket, but I do wish I could find Dean's Beans here in Italy.

Thanks for sharing with me.

Off to Thailand

Journal Entry 16 by bookowl1000 at Bangkok, (Bangkok) Krung Thep Mahanakhon Thailand on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The book is continuing its journey around the world by arriving here in Bangkok. Thank you Hayes13 for ensuring that it reached me while still working here.

Journal Entry 17 by bookowl1000 at Bangkok, (Bangkok) Krung Thep Mahanakhon Thailand on Tuesday, March 01, 2011

This is a book with an agenda: to convince people to buy fair trade coffee. While it covers issues such as coffee farmers' struggles with globalization, women's rights, environmental concerns, war and much more, what I liked the most was its role as a travel journal.

I learnt about coffee cultures and differing customs and politics from around the world, and enjoyed the humorous stories intermixed with Dean Cycon's adventures: he obviously has a good sense of humour. He does a good job of portraying the personalities of those that he met on his travels, and you genuinely start wishing them well.

This book extended its travels by escaping from Bangkok to the island of Phangan, and spending many a pleasant hour with me swinging in a hammock on the beach.

Journal Entry 18 by bookowl1000 at Bangkok, (Bangkok) Krung Thep Mahanakhon Thailand on Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/2/2011 UTC) at Bangkok, (Bangkok) Krung Thep Mahanakhon Thailand

Posted to pinkbug1. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 19 by pinkbug1 at Chatan Town / 北谷町, Okinawa-ken Japan on Monday, April 04, 2011

Just picked this up from the post office today! I am very excited to read it!

Journal Entry 20 by pinkbug1 at Kadena Air Base / 嘉手納飛行場, Okinawa-ken Japan on Sunday, October 30, 2011

Finally done with this book! It took me a while to read it because mainly my state-of-mind wasn't in a good place to read a non-fiction book, too much else on my mind. This is an awesome travel book about a guy's journey to better the lives of coffee planters world wide. He goes to some of the most amazing places where they grow free-trade coffee. The stories are amazing and often touching and heart-felt, but also hilarious.I highly recommend if you like coffee, and you like travel books. The chapters could have been much shorter, but there is nothing really wrong with that.

Journal Entry 21 by pinkbug1 at Kadena Air Base / 嘉手納飛行場, Okinawa-ken Japan on Sunday, October 30, 2011

On it's way to Duza-kaluza in Chile! Hope it gets there fast!

Journal Entry 22 by duza-kaluza at Santiago, Región Metropolitana Chile on Friday, November 18, 2011

I got this in the post yesterday. I forgot I had joined this bookring. In fact I haven't participated in a ring for a couple years, so it's a nice surprise.

I'm studying at the moment with a big exam coming up in a couple weeks, but after that I will be ever so happy to read for pleasure again.

Thanks Sfogs for setting this ring up.

Journal Entry 23 by SerendipityN at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Arrived here yesterday. Thank you very much!

Journal Entry 24 by SerendipityN at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, May 13, 2012

Third time's a charm. Didn't work for me, I started this one three times and could never get into it. I really like coffee and think the topic is very interesting but turns out I'm just not much of a non-fiction reader. Thank you for this ray nonetheless! :-)

I haven't received an answer from DubaiReader, yet, and have pmed her again today.

Journal Entry 25 by SerendipityN at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, May 18, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/18/2012 UTC) at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

The book's now on its way to DubaiReader. :-)

Journal Entry 26 by DubaiReader at Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Sunday, June 10, 2012

....and here it is now, in Dubai!
Great timing as I always have more chance to read in the summer.
I'll try and get this on its way to Norway while I'm back home in UK for July.
Thanks Sfogs.

20th July:
Next reader GronnLivssti, should be on its way within the week.

17th Jan 2013:
Well, that was famous last words! This turned out to be a much harder read than I thought when I started it. I had hoped to post it on from UK but ended up bringing it back to Dubai to finish.
I had already asked GronnLivsstil for a postal address so this will travel on in the next few days.
Thanks to Sfogs for starting it on its way. I have added my review below.

Journal Entry 27 by DubaiReader at Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Wednesday, January 16, 2013

An eye-opener.

This book was informative, but a slow read. Some chapters were fascinating and grabbed me from the start, some were overly political and lost me completely. I've been picking this up and putting it down again for several months so it's quite a relief to reach the end. On the other hand, I have full respect for the work of Dean Cycon, founder of Dean's Beans. He has travelled to the source of his supplies and treats his farmers with compassion and dignity.

The chapters each refer to one visit, one area of the world, dating between 1997 and 2007. I had no idea there were so many coffee producing areas. Dean's main message to the farmers is to work together to cut out the money grabbing middle-man and, via co-operatives, to produce Free Trade coffee of uniform quality. To this end he supports them by providing fairly inexpensive equipment that facilitates the process of hulling the beans and returns a percentage of the profits directly to the farmers for improvements within the area. This may be schooling, social improvements, wells etc.

Some parts are quite distressing, such as the Death Train, which refers to a freight train that runs from the border of Guatemala and Mexico, right up to the US border. It is swarming with desperate people who are unable to feed their families due to the poor prices they earn for their coffee. These people travel in all weathers, squeezed betwen carriages or sitting on cargo. Meanwhile others use violence and extortion to steal what little these poor people may be carrying. And there's no guarentee of work when they arrive. Many fall from the train and are injured on the line, losing limbs or even their lives.

Fortunately other chapters are upbeat, such as Dean's visit to Papua New Guinea. These people are self sufficient in food production and coffee is just a part of their produce. They greeted Dean with song and dance, many of them plastered with mud of various colours.

I certainly learned a lot and am now better informed about the source of the coffee I drink.
3 stars for the book itself but 5 stars for the great work that Dean Cycon is doing around the world.

Journal Entry 28 by GronnLivsstil at Bryne, Rogaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I had almost forgotten that I've signed up for this, when it finally arrived in my mailbox today. I need to finish another book, but I'll start reading this one as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 29 by GronnLivsstil at Bryne, Rogaland fylke Norway on Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sorry for the delay. I finally finished the book after a stressful exam period at university. It was an interesting read. I'll pass it on as soon as I get the next reader's address.

Journal Entry 30 by GronnLivsstil at Bryne, Rogaland fylke Norway on Sunday, July 28, 2013

I didn't get a reply from Duskdreamer, so I hope kally93 is still interested. Sorry for the wait.

Journal Entry 31 by GronnLivsstil at a RAY, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Released 11 mos ago (8/14/2013 UTC) at a RAY, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sent to kally93.

Journal Entry 32 by Kally93 at Brantford, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Book arrived safely a few weeks ago but I have little computer access at the moment so I am delayed in journaling it. Sorry about that, I'm sure you were worried. Thank you for sending it to me. I am already half way through it.

Journal Entry 33 by Kally93 at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Released 6 mos ago (1/26/2014 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Thank you for sharing this interesting book. Both my husband and I read it. It has encouraged us to continue buying free trade coffee ( and other products).
Book on its way to next person.

Journal Entry 34 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Book is here! I shall dive in as soon as I finish my current read!

Journal Entry 35 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Friday, June 27, 2014

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry!
This book got buried in a small pile of papers and I completely forgot about it.
As soon as I finish my current book, I'll start this one.