corner corner The Book of Air and Shadows

The Book of Air and Shadows
by Michael Gruber | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Steglitz, Berlin Germany on 4/3/2010

status (set by sakirmo): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Steglitz, Berlin Germany on Saturday, April 03, 2010

In this ingenious literary thriller from Gruber (The Witch's Boy), the lives of two men are changed forever by William Shakespeare and the letters of Richard Bracegirdle, a 16th-century English spy and soldier. Jake Mishkin, a Manhattan intellectual property attorney and a bit of a rake, goes on the run from Russian gangsters. Albert Crosetti, an aspiring filmmaker working for an antiquarian bookstore, finds that life is more exciting than movies—perhaps too exciting. Together, Mishkin and Crosetti travel to England in search of a previously unknown Shakespeare manuscript mentioned by Bracegirdle. Though the pace sometimes slows to allow Mishkin, Crosetti and Bracegirdle to divulge interesting aspects of their personal lives, these digressions only make the story more engaging. The suspense created around the double-crosses and triple-crosses works because of the close connection readers forge with Crosetti in particular. The mysterious murder of a Shakespearean scholar, shootouts in the streets of Queens and an unlikely romance all combine to make for a gripping, satisfying read. (Publishers Weekly)

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at a wishlist RABCK, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (4/6/2010 UTC) at a wishlist RABCK, by mail -- Controlled Releases

Sent as part of z3CarGaragez' Wishlist RABCK Surprise
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, April 15, 2010

This wishlist book, all shiny and new, arrived safely with me today. Thank you so very much, ApoloniaX, for all that you sent to me (again).
I RABCK'd this book to another BC'er and when I read the blurp, I wanted to read it too. There was no time then, though. So I'm very HAPPY that I can read it now, but not now, if you know what I mean :-)
I also enjoyed the chocolate (we ran out of eggs, so this was a welcome gift) and will certainly use the linen bag a lot.
THANK YOU, you're very generous!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, March 16, 2018

For me it is difficult to give an opinion on this book. In the sense that I find it hard to find the right words to explain why I didn't particularly like this book.

I expected more of a thriller, less chaos. The person(s) talking were not clear to me all the time, the interruptions of the plot by the old text was okay in the beginning, but as the book went on, they beat me off the track of the book itself and I had a hard time figuring out who was who and who did what.
Combine that with flash forwards from time to time and here are the reasons why I was disappointed and why I didn't like it very much.

It has resided on my shelf for many years. I picked it up several times but never actually started reading untill now.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBoekentrolwing at Bookcrossing Convention Bordeaux 2018 in Bordeaux, Aquitaine France on Saturday, April 07, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (4/20/2018 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Bordeaux 2018 in Bordeaux, Aquitaine France

At the book buffet.

Congratulations--you caught a book!

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, we encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold.

Journal Entry 6 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, April 22, 2018

Found this in front of Bordeaux Grande Theatre just before the guided tour :) maybe will read it, maybe just release somewhere

Journal Entry 7 by wingsakirmowing at Urban House Hostel in København , København Amt Denmark on Saturday, April 28, 2018

Released 4 wks ago (4/28/2018 UTC) at Urban House Hostel in København , København Amt Denmark

Started reading this, but gave up as I just couldn't be bothered with the old language... looking for new readers at the hostel

Congratulations, you found a travelling book! Enjoy and later leave it for other people to find. Feel also free to come back here to let us all know what you thought of the book and where you left it :)