corner corner The Cannibals of Candyland

by Carlton Mellick III | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by jare of Hudson, Florida USA on 3/29/2010

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by jare from Hudson, Florida USA on Monday, March 29, 2010

Sci-Fi/Fantasy is the closest to Bizarro as we can get for a category, huh?

I just LOVE Mellick's work! This looks to be a fun ride, too! Just got this in the mail from Horror Mall

Journal Entry 2 by jare at Los Lunas, New Mexico USA on Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Not my favorite Mellick, but not his worst either. A bit fun, crazy, but just lacking for subtext.

Journal Entry 3 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Sunday, April 08, 2012

Picked this up today while Jare was in DC for the White House Easter Egg Roll. So good to see you and finally meet your lovin' man!! Thanks and have fun tomorrow!

Journal Entry 4 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

One of the better (and longer) Mellick books I've read. Not the strangest, but odd enough to definitely count as bizzaro. As usual, there are deeper undertones and themes to his work, though it stands alone as a freaky little story just as well.

For a brief period, I was afraid it would end happily which would have annoyed me as that is just not what I expect from Mellick. By the time I was done, though, he had not disappointed me.

My husband wants to read this before I pass it on.

Journal Entry 5 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (11/26/2012 UTC) at Annandale, Virginia USA

Putting in the "Anything but Romance" shrinking bookbox, with GoryDetails in mind.

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, December 14, 2012

Heh! This one definitely caught my eye, and I'm taking it from the Anything But Romance shrinking bookbox. (Love Mellick's work!)

OK, this was pretty grim for a candy-themed story! But once I realized that I simply shouldn't get attached to anyone or anything in the narrative {wry grin} I enjoyed it; Mellick certainly isn't afraid of seeing where a concept takes him and then going even further.

The basic idea of mysterious candy people who catch and devour children has classic nightmare elements, with the candy people looking rather clownish (memories of King's "It" cropped up more than once). While I can't say I liked our hero, who's clearly pretty creepy himself from the start (if not completely bonkers), I was happy to follow along and find out what would happen to him. (I also appreciated his explanation about his name, including the sad history of Franklin Pierce, who's a local boy where I live.) And even though I knew it wasn't likely to end well, I found myself pulling for him to escape, and to rescue the - er, never mind who. Gotta leave something for readers to discover!

Anyway, I really began to enjoy the story when Franklin woke up in Candyland (where he began to undergo some things that reminded me of another Stephen King story). It's a lovely spin on Hansel and Gretel, in its way - and also a rather good illustration of fundamental cultural differences {grin}.

During the many horrific (and occasionally hilarious) scenes that follow, the tone remains rather distant - not quite deadpan, but remote. Given Franklin's submissive and easily-distracted nature (not to mention the narcotic effects of... some of his surroundings) this makes sense, and for me it helped punctuate some of the creepier bits of the story. ("It's ant season already?" {shudder!})

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (3/12/2013 UTC) at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

I took this book to the Boston BCers Meetup at the Algiers coffeehouse in Cambridge MA. Enjoy!

*** Released as part of the 2013 Places We Can Go release challenge, for "Candyland". ***