corner corner Buttertea at Sunrise: A Year in the Bhutan Himalaya

Buttertea at Sunrise: A Year in the Bhutan Himalaya
by Britta Das | Nonfiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 3/27/2010

status (set by maryzee): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, March 27, 2010

From the back:

"Often seen as a magical paradise at the end of the world, Bhutan is inaccessible to most travellers. Set against the dramatic scenery of the Himalaya, this beautiful memoir reveals hardships and happiness in a land almost untouched by the West.

When Britta goes to work as a physiotherapist in a remote village hospital, her good intentions are put to the test amid monsoons, fleas and shocking conditions. But as she visits homes in the mountains and learns the mysteries of tantric Buddhism, the country casts its enduring spell.

Gaining insights into the traditions of this mystical kingdom, she makes friends and falls in love. Bhutan will change her life forever."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, August 21, 2011

This was my second "a year in Bhutan" book (the first one was Jamie Zeppa's Beyond the Sky and the Earth) and I absolutely love both books. There's something magical about the country and I'd dearly love to visit it one day.

Here's a review that sums up my feelings quite well:

I also recommend taking a look at these photos on the author's website:

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, August 21, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (8/22/2011 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

This book will next travel to MaryZee in Maryland. She picked it from loveamystery's Coffee, Tea and Dessert VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, September 07, 2011

I chose this book since I love travel narratives. Thanks so much for sending this all the way from Finland, Annimanni. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and enjoyed spending time in Bhutan with Britta and Bikul. The author goes to Bhutan to serve a year as a volunteer in a physiotherapy clinic. She has to deal not only with a lack of supplies and equipment, but also sometimes no electricity or water. She also has to overcome the language barrier, although fortunately the medical personnel speak English. While dealing with all of these other obstacles, Britta comes to love the country and its people.

Thanks for sharing this, Annimanni. A memorable book, this is now reserved for the non-fiction vbb.