corner corner Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
by Helen Simonson | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Heaven-Ali of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 3/26/2010

status (set by MissMarkey): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, March 26, 2010

From Amazon
Major Ernest Pettigrew (Ret'd) is not interested in the frivolity of the modern world. Since his wife's death, he has tried to avoid the constant bother of the village women, his ambitious son and the suburbanisation of the English countryside. He prefers to lead a quiet life, upholding the values that people have lived by for generations - respectability, duty and a properly brewed cup of tea (very much not served in a polystyrene cup with teabag left in). But when his brother's death, and a love of Kipling, sparks an unexpected friendship with the widowed village shopkeeper, Mrs Ali, the Major is forced to confront the realities of the twenty first century. Written with a delightfully dry sense of humour, "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" is a charming, against-all-odds love story that introduces unforgettable characters and questions how much risk one should take for personal happiness in the face of family obligation and tradition.

I don't often Brumbie - UK (anywhere)buy a brand new book and immediately register it on bc. but I have seen some lovely reviews of this book, and so decided to read it myself and then share it with bookcrossers. I very much hope therefore, that I don't lose it. Fingers crossed therefore for a successful bookring.

As this is a brand new book which I don't want to lose - I am only accepting established bookcrossing members on to this ring.

Heaven-Ali

scotsbookie - UK (UK)
karen07814 - UK(UK)
Brumbie - UK (anywhere)
famulus - UK (anywhere)
Icila - France (anywhere)
Hayes13 - Italy - (anywhere)
esq228 - US (US)
LoveTeaAndBooks US (anywhere)
wyjane - UK (UK)
martinburo - UK (UK)
meddyg - UK (anywhere)
Lyzzybee - UK (anywhere)
Samrana - UK (anywhere)
Back to me Heaven-Ali

Journal Entry 2 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, April 01, 2010

I really enjoyed this book. Major Pettigrew is adorable, and written so sympathetically. His grief is beautifully explored, and the passages about his brother who has recently died, or about his wife who died 6 years earlier are really well done, and very poignant. After the sudden death of his brother Major Pettigrew develops a friendship with Mrs Ali who runs the village shop. This is quite a contentious friendship in the small village where they live, people there haven't really begun to embrace the multiculturalism of the 21st century. Alongside this we have the story of the Major's son - Roger and his high powered American girlfriend, and Amina the dancer and single mother (to George) who has scandalised her family, and Mrs Ali's nephew Abdul Wahid who has found religion and become very serious. The characters became so real for me, I loved them all eventually - even Roger who isn't very likable most of the time. This is a novel I think will be enjoyed by many people, the characters are lovely and there is plenty to make you smile, or bring a lump to your throat.

Journal Entry 3 by Heaven-Ali at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, April 12, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (4/12/2010 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

If you have found this book, thank you for taking the time to look it up on the internet. Now please tell us what you thought of the book and what your plans for it are.

Journal Entry 4 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Arrived safely with me this morning, thank you Heaven-Ali. I should finish my current book this evening & then begin this one.

Journal Entry 5 by karen07814 at Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 17, 2010

just got here, thank you

Journal Entry 6 by karen07814 at Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, August 21, 2010

Loved it, thank you. Highly entertaining and quite happy to buy her next book. Why are our children so horrific sometimes?

Journal Entry 7 by Brumbie at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Thanks - arrived today. Can't wait to start reading.

Journal Entry 8 by Brumbie at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, August 30, 2010

Previous readers have already described the story so all I will say is that this was the perfect book for a wet Bank Holiday Sunday. Witty and clever. I particularly liked the fact that Rudyard Kipling brought together a son of the Empire and a Muslim woman who was a daughter of partition. Will send it on soon.

Journal Entry 9 by Famulus at Hertford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 03, 2010

Thanks so much everyone for passing this one on to me. I'm away for the next 2 weeks, and won't take it with me - would hate to lose it for Heaven-Ali! But it will be first on my list when I get back, and so should be able to send it on fairly quickly then.

Journal Entry 10 by Famulus at Hertford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What a delightful book - so glad I requested this one, and thanks again to Heaven-Ali for making it available. I doubt I'd ever have thought of reading it without a recommendation.

Have PM'd Icila for address, so will send it on as soon as I get a reply.

Journal Entry 11 by Famulus at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, September 30, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (9/28/2010 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to icila, hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

Journal Entry 12 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, October 01, 2010

Safe with me, thanks! I'll be abroad till the end of october. Let me know if it's too late to read it in november (or december as I have a lot of bookrings ahead but I'm a fast reader.)

Journal Entry 13 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, November 18, 2010

I really enjoyed this book, even too much as I couldn't put it and do something more suitable for my body condition or... my home. ;)

A bit too unrealistic at the end but who cares ?

PMing Hayes13

Journal Entry 14 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, November 22, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (11/22/2010 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

In care of the post office.

Journal Entry 15 by wingHayes13wing at Roma, Lazio Italy on Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Arrived this morning. Thank you!!

I have a few things in line before this, but I will hurry along. :-)

Journal Entry 16 by wingHayes13wing at Roma, Lazio Italy on Sunday, December 19, 2010

I have esq228's address, but I will wait until after the New Year to mail the book on.

I just adored Major Pettigrew and Mrs Ali's charming love story. Thank you so much for this ray and for including me.

Journal Entry 17 by wingHayes13wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/5/2011 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA

And away it goes! I will expand my review in a while... promise!

Journal Entry 18 by StinaRy at Bloomfield, New Jersey USA on Thursday, January 20, 2011

This book arrived about a week ago, I just forgot to journal it. The timing was perfect as I just finished the last of the bookring books I already had. So I've already started on it and already love Major Pettigrew!

Journal Entry 19 by StinaRy at Bloomfield, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Finished this book last night. I thought it was a charming story and enjoyed it, although perhaps not as much as some other books I've read recently. I'll be sending it along as soon as I have an address from LoveTeaAndBooks.

Journal Entry 20 by StinaRy at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/31/2011 UTC) at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent to next reader.

Journal Entry 21 by wyjane at Radford Semele, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

This book has been with me for a couple of weeks and amazingly I've already finished it so have sent a message to the next on the list. At first I found it a bit irritating, being full of stereotypes and cliches, but it was a very easy read and I found myself drawn in and loath to put it down. I think it must be a long time since the author lived in Sussex, the characters mostly seemed a generation behind the setting.

Journal Entry 22 by wyjane at Radford Semele, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 24, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (2/24/2011 UTC) at Radford Semele, Warwickshire United Kingdom

posted to martinboro to continue its journey

Journal Entry 23 by martinburo at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Thank you, I'm reading it now.

Journal Entry 24 by martinburo at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Sorry this has taken me so long.
I thought this was a nice light read. It sometimes verges on the stereotypical, but at other times it manages to surprise and entertain. And the feel good factor counts for something as well.

16 May. Sorry again. meddyg never got back to me with an address, and so the book sat here waiting. I've now sent it to Lizzybee. Thanks for letting me take part.

Journal Entry 25 by LyzzyBee at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, May 19, 2011

Arrived with me today - thank you!

Journal Entry 26 by LyzzyBee at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, May 30, 2011

Major Pettigrew gains the rather cloying sympathy of his village when his brother dies suddenly, but finds that he draws most comfort from the friendship of the lady from the village shop. As he's drawn into her life, the relationships in his own family are thrown into stark relief, and by the end we've learnt a lot about the choice between family and duty, which pull people in all sorts of directions.

This is a quietly charming book that creeps up on you and ambushes your heart, so that by the exciting events near the end you're really rooting for, well, almost all of the characters. Village life and family relationships are beautifully and subtly drawn, and all of the characters are three-dimensional; you cheer inwardly when they achieve their fates. Simonson refuses to tie everything up neatly at the end, which makes for a more satisfying and realistic read. My favourite quotation: "Passion is all very well, but it wouldn't do to spill the tea."

Journal Entry 27 by wingSamranawing at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, June 05, 2011

Handed over by LyzzyBee today, and should get to it soon.

Journal Entry 28 by wingSamranawing at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, July 07, 2011

I liked the style in this, and the writing managed be be both witty and have empathy (maybe a bit too sentimental at times) I began to warm to the Major more as the book went on, even if I didn't always understand him. Great to try a new author.

Journal Entry 29 by wingSamranawing at By hand, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 07, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (7/7/2011 UTC) at By hand, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Back to Heaven-Ali.

Journal Entry 30 by Heaven-Ali at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, July 07, 2011

It's home, thank you everyone : )

Journal Entry 31 by Heaven-Ali at UK Unconvention 2016 - Birmingham in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, September 18, 2016

Released 9 mos ago (9/23/2016 UTC) at UK Unconvention 2016 - Birmingham in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Journal Entry 32 by wingMissMarkeywing at Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 24, 2016

I have read this book and it is super. Am going to give it to the landlady at my B&B here in Brum. It has such a good BC history that I will try to encourage her to journal the book and discover Bookcrossing.