corner corner Virago Book of Wicked Verse

Virago Book of Wicked Verse
by Jill Dawson (ed.) | Poetry
Registered by katrinat of Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 09, 2010

status (set by Gorie): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by katrinat from Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 09, 2010

I loved this collection which features from across the world and centuries. The poems were often funny and witty. Not a collection for men though.
RABCKing this to Spain, where hopefully it'll find some more readers.

Journal Entry 2 by katrinat at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Saturday, April 03, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (4/3/2010 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Hope you enjoy this mix of poems

Journal Entry 3 by veleta from Brent, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, April 08, 2010

Thank you a lot for having sent me the book!

The list of female poet writers is impressive (It's located at the end of the compilation), and I think I've heard of only one fourth of them previously, so I hope this becomes a discovery odissey for me.

Thank you again!

Journal Entry 4 by veleta from Brent, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, May 16, 2010

I've loved every single poem so much!!!! The good thing about this compilation is that each poem is completely different: in ideology, in type of stanza, in the rhyming or not, in spelling conventions, in humorous or serious tone, in topic. Maybe the only ones I didn't appreciate at all were the two or three which deviated so much from spelling and pronunciation conventions in RP English that they became difficult for me to read.

I was really surprised at some of the authors' poems. The only one I had actually read before was one of Margaret Atwood, Is/Not. From poems from the Chinese tradition to modern free verses thought of to be read aloud in performance poetry, everything seems to be here, even a poem by Spanish author Ana Castillo - I read one of her novels, but didn't even know she wrote poetry.

I don't know what I expected of Sappho, but clearly it was not this:
Sappho – If You Are Squeamish
(Trans: Mary Barnard)

If you are squeamish

Don’t prod the
beach rubble.

--- Such a joyous wickedness!!!!

Journal Entry 5 by veleta from Brent, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, May 16, 2010

I don't look like Kim Basingter as well, but I think I'll have to reconsider my self-esteem again: I've realised that might not be a bad thing after all.

Thank you so much for sending the book to me!!!

Journal Entry 6 by veleta at Pub Dickens in Ourense, Ourense Spain on Saturday, May 22, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (5/21/2010 UTC) at Pub Dickens in Ourense, Ourense Spain

Tomorrow evening, if everything goes with the plan.

Journal Entry 7 by Gorie at Ourense, Ourense Spain on Saturday, May 29, 2010

I don't like verse, but...