corner corner A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
by Marina Lewycka, | Humor
Registered by goofbunny of Perth, Western Australia Australia on 3/8/2010

status (set by futurecat): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by goofbunny from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Monday, March 08, 2010

Reserved for a RABCK.

Journal Entry 2 by goofbunny at -- Controlled Releases --, Tasmania Australia on Thursday, March 11, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (3/8/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Releases --, Tasmania Australia

Released as part of a RABCK.

Journal Entry 3 by Dancesports from Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wow - fantastic - a wish list book

Journal Entry 4 by Dancesports at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I finished this one a couple of weeks ago, I enjoyed parts of it but found parts of it slow going. I think my expectations of what this book was about were a bit off the mark. Nevertheless I did like reading the history of tractors in Ukranian. The book will be travelling very soon as I put it into a vbb and it has been selected.

Journal Entry 5 by Dancesports at Two Worlds VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 23, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (10/22/2010 UTC) at Two Worlds VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Selected from the two worlds VBB - enjoy

Journal Entry 6 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Arrived safe and snuggly in its padded jacket in chilly autumnal Holland today, complete with some beautiful stamps. I've been wanting to read this for a couple of years now, so thank you Dancesports for adding it to the Two Worlds VBB and sending it to the other side of the world. I've never had post from Tasmania before!

Journal Entry 7 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, December 10, 2011

I really enjoyed this book, although I wouldn't have placed it in the category 'humour'. It's about a cantankerous and eccentric old Ukrainian emigrant in England, his exploitative and manipulative new import bride, and his feuding daughters who join forces to try to get her deported. I loved the way the father's accent was written into his voice; I could really hear him in my head. Marina Lewycka is also very good at describing the garden and the surroundings.

The book is poignant, with sad and ridiculous stories of the family during WWII and since, and the author does a good job of telling all sides of the story: the plight of the defenseless old man, the desperation of the bride who just wants to secure the future of her son, a changing cast of men who are attracted to Valentina's appearance. There's a lot of humour in the book, particularly with running jokes such as Crap Car and Toshiba apples, as well as the arguments and the string of cars, not to mention Valentina's appearance. If this book were to be filmed, I'm sure it would be hilarious, with lots of slapstick scenes, but the book has far more depth, and I think that might be lost in a film. There is an undercurrent of sympathy with immigrants and refugees, particularly those from former Eastern Bloc countries, who are often treated and portrayed with resentment, in contrast to the refugees who came after WWII and were welcomed with open arms.

I shall be looking forward to more books by this author. This book was on the 2008 version of the '1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die' List. I'm not sure if it deserves that; I suspect it was chosen because it mentioned the Ukraine and was a popular book that year. Nevertheless, it's definitely worth reading.

Journal Entry 8 by bookguide at Dublin Convention 2012 in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, April 12, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (4/13/2012 UTC) at Dublin Convention 2012 in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

For the book buffet.

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before the end of 2011. My reading goal is 75 books.
- Pages Read Challenge - read a self-set target number of pages in 201w. My goal is 26,000.

Journal Entry 9 by wingfuturecatwing at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Picked up at the Dublin bookcrossing convention.

=+=

Journal Entry 10 by wingfuturecatwing at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A lovely mix of humour and tragedy - the amusing story of an octogenarian's search for love with a most unsuitable bride is mixed with a family history of terror and deprivation in the Soviet-controlled Ukraine.

=+=

Journal Entry 11 by wingfuturecatwing at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/20/2012 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Given to another bookcrosser at last night's meetup.