corner corner @ Poisonwood Bible - Join this Intl Bookray

@ Poisonwood Bible - Join this Intl Bookray
by Barbara Kingsolver | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Lindlec of Nottingham, not specified not specified on Monday, June 30, 2003

status (set by Aquina): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by Lindlec from Nottingham, not specified not specified on Monday, June 30, 2003

A great read - an epic of a novel about a preacher and his family working as missionaries in the Congo during the early 60's. It is told from the alternating perspectives of his four daughters Rachel, Leah, Adah and Ruth May.

It is beautifully written, imagery strong and the tone and atmoshere forboding. Would definitely recommend this to others.

Journal Entry 2 by Lindlec from Nottingham, not specified not specified on Tuesday, July 01, 2003

Book ray available for this book internationally, signed up for the ray are:

Loopy1 - Kent, UK read
Mandana - Nova Scotia, Canada
spaceystacey - New Jersey, USA
Letra - Lisbon, Portugal
xxgreen - singapore

Journal Entry 3 by Lindlec at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, July 28, 2003

Released on Monday, July 28, 2003 at post swap in postal swap, Postal Release United Kingdom.

Sent out on International Bookring - Ist recipient is Loopy1.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Thanks for this, it arrived safely this morning, and it's - er - big.
I asked for this because of comments made by someone at BC who was very against the book. Me being nosy, I just had to read it for myself, to see what she meant about it (a forum search might help if you didn't know the original thread - I might look it up and link if I have a spare moment).
I look forward to reading this and forming my own opinion about the book. Thanks for sharing it :-))

Journal Entry 5 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, August 24, 2003

On one level, I learnt a lot about world politics from this book. I left it at one point to come to the computer and look up the history of the Congo, an area that I had heard of but knew very little about.
On another level, I have journeyed to the Congo with the Price family, and just as it shaped their lives I feel the book has shaped my ideas.
There are some powerful ideas in this book, something to ponder on for a long time to come.
I begin to understand why another BC'er had such strong views on it, but I don't share those views and I am very glad I read this book for myself.
Now I can send it off to Jackshome :-)

Journal Entry 6 by jackshome from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, August 29, 2003

Recieved this morning, wow this is a biggy! Now about to start, so more later :-)

Journal Entry 7 by jackshome from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 06, 2003

Try as I may, I really couldn't get into this one :( I found the Price's to be overbearing in places, and a bit far out - I don't think I'd consider drowning myself in clothes, coupled with kitchen accessories, for the sake of living without 'essentials'...I think it's really well written, but just not for me, hope the next reader enjoys it, now sending to Talkland.

Journal Entry 8 by talkland from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Monday, September 08, 2003

This book has scared me and I have not even read the first page yet! It is sooo thick! Thanks Michelle, this is going to tie-up a fair few evenings [just as well there is not a lot on the telly then]. Gosh, I better get cracking.

Journal Entry 9 by talkland from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, September 18, 2003

"Like a princess in a story, Congo was born too rich for her own good, and attracted attention far and wide from men who desired to rob her blind. The United States has now become the husband of Zaire economy, and is not a very nice one. Exploitive and condescending, in the name of steering her clear of moral decline inevitable to her nature."

I wanted to read this book to find out what all the hullabaloo was about in the forums a few months back when someone journalled that they chucked it in the bin. Now I know! It was describe as anti-American because it is scathing in its depiction of American involvement in the region. Is it a bad thing to criticise your Government deceit and dirt tricks? There are many good and wonderful Americans in the book, so you could describe the book pro-American too.

I wept for Congo [Africa] and her people. It also makes me angry as this situation continues in the poorer parts of the world not just Africa but she is the one beaten and bruised the most. I am starting to believe that Capitalism is as bad as Communism, that it is polluted and as warped, a cancer of greed. I could say more but I would probably cause a riot. It just makes me so mad!

It is the betrayal that is the worst, not only of the Congo [Africa] but of us. Our leaders do things in our countries' names which are illegal, immoral and downright wicked. Although the quote mentions the United States by name, there are many others that could have been substituted. Not just countries either, but IMF, WTO, United Nations, and a whole raft of multi-national companies. Don't think we live in democracies folks, because that is a lie told to us so we think we have some kind of say. We have very little influence. It is all decided by a few powerful people with their fingers in a lot of pies, doing smoke and mirror tricks.

That was enough politics from me, and now back to the book! It was a beautifully told story, and I could see the jungle through the eyes of the five narrators. The narrators were all women, members of the Price family brought to the Congo by their father, a fire and brimstone preacher to spread the word of his God. All Nathan Price did was spread misery. He, like many before and after him couldn't see that the world has many ways. What grows and thrives in one place doesn't in another. One must adapted and change with the environment, you can't tame nature [though the Reverend Price did try]. In many ways the personal stories of the Price family is the story of Africa.

It is a work of flawed genius. A moving and vivid tale of what happened in the Belgian Congo, to the country as a whole, but to the Price family and the village they lived in. I could see the life, hear the sounds, smell, taste and feel the jungle. This is definitely a must read book and don't be put off by the book's thickness.

Journal Entry 10 by talkland at on Monday, September 22, 2003

Released on Monday, September 22, 2003 at the post office to a fellow BookCrosser, in Eastbourne, England United Kingdom.

Off the East Riding Of Yorkshire later this morning. It is 2am in England at the moment so it is another day on to the release date!

Journal Entry 11 by Fofum from Beverley, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 28, 2003

Arrived this week - thanks. I have a bit of a backlog at the moment - please be patient with me!

Journal Entry 12 by Fofum from Beverley, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 02, 2004

My apologies to everyone on this list for the length of time I've been holding on to this. I felt it deserved to be read seriously and life in the Autumn was too hectic. I have started this now and am really enjoying it. It should be on its way soon. I'll journal again when I've finished it.

Journal Entry 13 by Fofum from Beverley, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 18, 2004

Well, I apologise again for keeping the book for such a long time...but I am so glad I did! It was a brilliant read - I haven't found a novel so rewarding for ages.
The story was fascinating. It gave me an insight in to the history of West Africa. I had a vague memory of the names and places as this was all 'happening' when I was at school studying geography and economics. This perspective was eye-opening.
The characters grew as the book rolled on and were so intelligently drawn. The passive voice of the father roared out through the contributions of his family. I enjoyed the way the sisters grew and developed, how their understanding of their parents, their world and themselves altered.
It has been a while since I read something as 'meaty' as this.It was brilliant and I would recommend it to anyone looking for something thought provoking.
Thankyou to all at Bookcrossing for enabling this book to pass my way and Lindlec in particular for setting it 'free.'

Journal Entry 14 by Fofum at on Sunday, January 18, 2004

Released on Sunday, January 18, 2004 at Royal Mail in Beverley, England United Kingdom.

On its way to Portugal. I hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 15 by BlossomU on Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Book has arrived, I will start reading it as soon as I finish my present read, thanks!

Journal Entry 16 by BlossomU on Monday, February 09, 2004

I have just finished reading it, and while I thought it interesting and very good at parts, I thought it was definetely flawed as novel. I found the beginning fascinating and so evocative of that clash of cultures - and Kingsolver describes it so beautifully one can dream one is there. But the foreshadowings of what is to come seem drawn out, the action seems to almost drag itself, and when that happens and the book moves into Exodus, the political education seem to overpower the character building, characters seem to go bidimensional ( or even less!) all in purposes of serving as some sort of example of the author´s views on African history. I did not know a lot of Congolese history, so the history lesson was very interesting but when I find some references to José Eduardo dos Santos being a man one would be proud to associate with, I have to begin to question the author´s sanity - I guess I must be reading too much Pepetela.

So in all, an interesting novel, but so preachy on its way! I might agree with what is being preached, but I would wish the author were more subtle about it, less full of lessons she wants to teach and more interested in making the reader think for himself/herself.

Book passed on to letra, monday, February 16th.

Journal Entry 17 by letra on Tuesday, February 17, 2004

It's with me now. Thanks, BlossomU.
I'm afraid it will be a few weeks before I can start reading it, as I have another two bookring books to finish before this one.

Journal Entry 18 by letra on Wednesday, April 28, 2004

This book has been with me for two months and I still haven't had the chance to start reading it, so I'm mailing it to Virgulina today to keep the BookRing alive.

Journal Entry 19 by Aquina from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, June 14, 2004

I am also joaninha, when I'm in Portugal.
I will comment as soon as I finish the book

Journal Entry 20 by Aquina from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, February 04, 2005

I liked the beguinning of the book,but the last chapters were very desappointing: Barbara Kingsolver shows a level of prejudice and ignorance in what respects to modern African History that borders on the irresponsible.