corner corner Poirot Investigates

Poirot Investigates
by Agatha Christie | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by stinalyn of Fort Collins, Colorado USA on 6/29/2003

status (set by eastbaybookmisr): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by stinalyn from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Sunday, June 29, 2003

Original pub date 1923 or 1924. Bantam edition, 6th printing.

Journal Entry 2 by stinalyn at Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Monday, November 22, 2010

I actually finished my re-read of this some time ago. This collection contains the following short stories featuring Hercule Poirot:
The Adventure of "The Western Star"
The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor
The Case of the Missing Will
The Veiled Lady
The Lost Mine
The Chocolate Box

I had never noticed it before, but this collection of stories is very clearly influenced by Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. Poirot is more concerned with politeness and etiquette than Holmes, and Hastings is considerably more dense than Watson, but the elements are all there. I will have to watch for these similarities (beyond the superficial) in the rest of the Poirot works, but somehow I think this was a very deliberate theme for this particular collection.

Journal Entry 3 by stinalyn at Another Bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (11/22/2010 UTC) at Another Bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

I finally posted this out to NMReader!

Journal Entry 4 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, December 06, 2010

Thank you so much for the book. I plan to take with me for Christmas and read while traveling.

Journal Entry 5 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, January 31, 2011

I really enjoyed these Poirot short stories. I had never read any of the stories before.

I liked the last story the best. i enjoyed reading about when Poirot got it wrong.

Journal Entry 6 by chich at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, March 07, 2011

Book received today, many thanks for sending it my way NMReader! I'm a huge Poirot fan and have seen the TV adaptations of quite a few of these short stories (with David Suchet as Poirot), now I can't wait to read the actual stories! :)

Journal Entry 7 by chich at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'd completely forgotten to journal this book!

I may have seen the tv adaptations of these short stories several times each, I still enjoyed reading them very much. I don't think I've ever been disappointed by Agatha Christie and this book was no exception:) I just love Poirot & Hastings, I'm officially addicted! ;)

Journal Entry 8 by chich at Wishlist Challenge, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (6/1/2011 UTC) at Wishlist Challenge, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sent to an unsuspecting BookCrosser today as part of the Wishlist Challenge, enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 9 by eastbaybookmisr at Oakland, California USA on Thursday, June 16, 2011

Received in the mail today as a surprise international Wishlist RABCK! Thank you!

1967 Bantam paperback, with a 60 cents cover price of the early Poirot story collection. This was on my list of early mysteries to read. This book is also now my top leading contender for the forum contest, Who has the oldest registered book, with a JE this year?

I can let this go after I read:
1920 The Mysterious Affair at Styles [read 2010]
1922 The Secret Adversary [read 2011]
1923 Murder on the Links [read 2011]

Edit December 7, 2011: These mostly went over my head with all the intricacy of plot and characters, but the banter between Poirot and Hastings is always amusing.

Journal Entry 10 by eastbaybookmisr at Public Library - Dimond, 3565 Fruitvale Ave. in Oakland, California USA on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (12/7/2011 UTC) at Public Library - Dimond, 3565 Fruitvale Ave. in Oakland, California USA

... on the sale shelf inside.