corner corner Infidel

Infidel
by Ayaan Hirsi Ali | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by ChrissyHam of Bristol, not specified not specified on Thursday, February 18, 2010

status (set by Icila): available

Journal Entry 1 by ChrissyHam from Bristol, not specified not specified on Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fascinating book about the life of Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Born in Somalia into a religious muslim family, later moving to the Netherlands where she became a politician and an outspoken critic of Islam. She made the film Submission with the director Theo van Gogh who was murdered, and her life was again threatened. Later the Dutch revoked her citizenship and she moved to the states.

Definately worth a read, whether or not you agree with her political and/or religious views, as she is a brave and very interesting woman.

Sending out as a book ray - hopefully this one can keep circulating after the current particpants have read it.

So far the order is

aetm - US -post US
kitiarablue - US - post int'l
ex2 - Taiwan - post int'l
Pellu - Finland - post EU
Chucklesthescot - Scotland - post EU
LittleDachshund - Bulgaria - post EU

Journal Entry 2 by ChrissyHam at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/3/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On the way to the first reader in the USA. Happy reading

Journal Entry 3 by aetm from Austin, Texas USA on Saturday, March 20, 2010

The book arrived on Thursday, and I've just started reading it, enjoying it so far (though it have to be read a few chapters at a time instead of read it all once, for the intensity).
I remember something about Ayaan's story when Theo Van Gogh was killed (I don't know how well it was covered over here, but in Europe it was talked about), but I hadn't run to the book yet.
Thank you for making this book a ray, ChrissyHam.

Journal Entry 4 by aetm from Austin, Texas USA on Monday, March 29, 2010

This is not an easy book - but it deserves a 10 in score (and I use that score rarely).

A deep, wise, human... Ayaan's story is fascinating, her childhood, the people around her, the forced marriage, the escape and liberation. Despite all the not-so-good that was in her childhood and youth, she's always warm when talking about her family. She gives insight to how she was brought up, to many ways of doing and how the Somali culture works and thinks. Family is much more than your father, mum, and siblings - it's all the clan... and when the children recite their family tree back enough, most anyone can be a relative (Ayaan and many others in this book could do even 8 generations back). And when one is a relative, they will not harm you if they intended to steal from you... Clan is the family, or the Western equivalent to clan would be the group one feels like belonging to (the school you went to, the brand or style of clothes you were etc).

And she shows and explains about the religion, which is a separate thing but so bound to the culture, can be much easier understood with this background. Ayaan's history helps understand her 'rebelness' or not liking some aspects of Muslim mentality or culture. Her refusing the religion wasn't a short process either, it all grew step by step... and at some point it looked like the classic Socrates cave example, her looking at the people around her do the things the way they always had done, she outside the cave. (What would happen if she'd not wear the headscarf? After wondering for a long time in Holland, she tried...)

She wasn't quiet about the things she wanted (or wants to) change, and this angered many... and all that was on the road of Theo Van Gogh's death (they made together a small film about religion, and Theo insisted on using his name - a Holland where he would have to have done it anonymously was not Holland he wanted). I only knew about Theo Van Gogh's death, the rest of the book were new. All those changes and talking about them were after a lot of change for herself - after living in a bunch of countries as a child, after escaping a forced marriage, after coming to Holland, learning the language, finding out she likes social sciences etc.

I haven't known (at least closely) anyone from her culture, so in addition to everything else said above, I also like the window to her (old) world (now she lives apparently somewhere here in the States).
This book should be read by just about anyone - politicians, people working with other people, teachers, religious people of any kind.

Journal Entry 5 by aetm at Jersey City, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, March 29, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/29/2010 UTC) at Jersey City, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to kitiarablue in media mail today. Safe journey, little book!

Journal Entry 6 by kitiarablue from Jersey City, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Received today- and will be started immediately!!!

Journal Entry 7 by kitiarablue from Jersey City, New Jersey USA on Monday, April 26, 2010

Wow. I don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said, except that I would add that Ayaan Hirsi Ali is now on the very short list of people I would love to meet and have a conversation with. I just hope that her message gets to the people she's trying to reach. Living in an urban area where the man responsible for the first WTC bombing was living, I do know and interact with people of the Muslim faith on a daily basis. I have tried to tell myself that events such as 9/11 were committed by extremists and that most Muslims are peaceful people. But I've never been able to understand or justify the treatment of the women of this faith, even though they've told me themselves it is done out of RESPECT for women. I highly recommend this book to everyone. I will be sending it on shortly.

Journal Entry 8 by kitiarablue at Postal Release, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (5/5/2010 UTC) at Postal Release, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Off to Taiwan! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by ex2 on Monday, May 17, 2010

The book arrived today. Can't wait to get started.

Journal Entry 10 by ex2 at Taipei city, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Taiwan on Friday, June 25, 2010

Finally finished this book. I am sorry I kept in longer than expected. I felt I had to read each and every word she said. Infidel was an inspiring story and I have told many friends that they need to pick this book up. Hopefully this weekend I can do some more research about her.

I already have the next person's address and will be posting it on Monday.

Journal Entry 11 by ex2 at Mustasaari, Pohjanmaa Finland on Friday, July 02, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (7/2/2010 UTC) at Mustasaari, Pohjanmaa Finland

Released to Pellu. Happy Journey

Journal Entry 12 by Pellu at Lappeenranta, Etelä-Karjala Finland on Thursday, July 08, 2010

The book is here in Finland. Thank you ex2.

I'm especially interested in reading about Somali culture. Somalis are one of the biggest groups that seek asylum from Finland and they are also the group that is most talked about and usually not in a very flattering way. Their culture seems very different from Finnish one and probably Finns don't even know much about Somali culture, at least I don't.

Journal Entry 13 by Chucklesthescot at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Thanks very much for passing this on to me. Hope to get started on it in the next few days.

Journal Entry 14 by Chucklesthescot at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, October 09, 2010

This was a fascinating and disturbing read and it kept my interest all the way through. What a brave and dedicated woman! I do remember the news here talking about the murder but I had no idea of the back story so this was very interesting to read. Recommended!

Journal Entry 15 by Chucklesthescot at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, October 09, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (10/9/2010 UTC) at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom

Sending this on to the next person on the list. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by LittleDachshund at София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Thursday, October 21, 2010

The book arrived safely. Ayaan Hirsi Ali seems like an interesting person, so I look forward to reading the book.

Journal Entry 17 by LittleDachshund at София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Sunday, October 31, 2010

I couldn't put this book down until I've read it. Ayaan Hirs Ali''s life story is amazing. She's incredibly brave and dedicated woman. She's won my admirations and I'll definitely look for her new book Nomad.

ChrissyHam,I guess it's up to me to decide what to with this book next?

Reserved for Annimanni's All about Africa VBB.

Journal Entry 18 by LittleDachshund at София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Friday, January 21, 2011

Sent to Icila on 20.01.2011 as part of All about Africa Int VBB.

Journal Entry 19 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, February 01, 2011

In my mailbox yesterday. Thanks for the book and for the real stamp !

Journal Entry 20 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, February 13, 2011

Very interesting. I was aware of Theo Van Gogh's murder but not of Ayaan's life although she sought french citizenchip in 2008 to obtain European funds for her protection.
I did some research and found that this very week she was attending a debate in Australia to prevent them against "Europe's mistakes concerning Islam".

Journal Entry 21 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Reserved for Vekiki's Non-Fiction VBB.