corner corner The Immortal

The Immortal
by Angela Elwell Hunt | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by ReadnShare of Simi Valley, California USA on Friday, June 27, 2003

status (set by ELTengaged): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by ReadnShare from Simi Valley, California USA on Friday, June 27, 2003

VERY enjoyable read ! This story is based on "The Legend of the Wandering Jew"...something I had never heard of before. Attention grabbing and interesting from the very beginning with a very satisfying ending.

From the inside cover:

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
The apostle John wrote in his Gospel, "And I suppose that if all the other things Jesus did were written down, the whole world could not contain the books: (21:25). Did Jesus speak to a man while carrying his cross to Calvary? I don't know. Many legends suggest that he did.

This book is not inspired Scripture. Though it contains a great deal of truth, I'd like you to see it as a parable, a fictional tale with an outer layer of story and layers of deeper meaning underneath. All fiction rests upon an implicit conspiracy between writer and reader - the writer tells the story, and the reader, for a few hours at least, pretends it really happened.

I'm aware that asking you to believe in a two-thousand-year-old man is a little unusual, but thank you for allowing me the privilege. This fiction is based upon fact. As much as possible, when citing historical characters, events, structures, and information about the evolution of the legend of the Wandering Jew, I have taken pains not to contradict the historical record.

I'm not seriously suggesting that God might allow a man to live for two thousand years, but, like Vittorio Pace, I learned a long time ago that it's never wise to tell God what he can and can't do. So I am leaving the story in your hands in the hope that it will dwell in your heart for some time to come.

Thank you for journeying with me.
Angela Elwell Hunt "
*******************************
And from the back cover:............

"Good books are entertaining: great books are entertaining and thought provoking. The Immortal is a great book. There is a reason Angela Elwell Hunt remains on my 'must-read' list. She does more than tell a great story; she makes me think." - Alton Gansky, author of Vanished and Distant Memory

Journal Entry 2 by ReadnShare from Simi Valley, California USA on Saturday, September 06, 2003

Bookring starting 9/11/03.

9. mellion108
10. caligula03
(back to me) ReadNShare

Hope you enjoy it !

Journal Entry 3 by pumpkyn from Huntington Beach, California USA on Monday, September 15, 2003

Hi all! I received the book today & will start reading it right away!

Journal Entry 4 by pumpkyn from Huntington Beach, California USA on Tuesday, September 16, 2003

I'm about 1/3 through the book. If I'm not mistake in Chapter One, Hunt refers to Claudia's fiance as KARL, then in Chapter Two and through out the rest of the book he is KURT. I thought that was weird & a little annoying. But maybe I read it wrong? I dunno, for anyone who reads it later, let me know if I am blind :-)

For me, the plot developement has been really slow...not boring, but just really slow. The author likes to take her time introducing all the characters and stuff like that. I am not fascinated with the book yet, but I hope to be soon. The plot is about to thicken, I THINK. So far, the book reminds me of the movie Devil's Advocate. I don't know if it is entirely similar to that movie or not though, I'll have to see!

Journal Entry 5 by pumpkyn from Huntington Beach, California USA on Wednesday, September 17, 2003

I finished the book! I am agnostic, so I have to admint that I couldn't relate to this book enough to say it was great. It was a pretty good book, I have read a couple of other Christian Lit type books and I could see the same themes, which made the ending a little predictable for me.

The reason why I gave this book no better than a 7 was because I think the way its written, makes it hard for anyone who is agnostic or non-christian to identify with the lessons being taught. My favorite sort of Christian lit/End of Times book is The Christ Clone Triology by BeauSeigneur because the story is told in a way that you don't have to be Christian to appreciate it, but at the same time it also gives you the same scriptures from the bible that any other Christian lit book gives. It's not alienating. I recommend those books to anyone who don't find The Immortal satisifying.

Angela Hunt writes well, but I think her descriptions are dry and lack artistic flare. Her descriptions are straight forward and sometimes her monotonous clarity bored me. I don't know, I felt the plot developed extremely slow, and the descriptions lacked color. Her descriptions were more like scientific objective discriptions than anything else -- But this makes for easy comprehension. I like to read books that are colorful and poetic in their descriptions, I didn't feel this book offered that.

Overall I thought The Immortal was a pretty good book, though I think you would have to be Christian to really appreciate it, which is a bummer (well, at least for me).

I will contact the next person on the list and send the book out as soon as I can :-)

Journal Entry 6 by pumpkyn at Sent to Another BookCrosser in Huntington Beach, California USA on Thursday, September 18, 2003

Release planned for Friday, September 19, 2003 at Sent to Another BookCrosser in Huntington Beach, California USA.

The book will be on its way to CrazyPooka tomorrow!

Journal Entry 7 by CrazyPooka from Portland, Oregon USA on Thursday, September 25, 2003

I've been looking into art representing Jesus' story...so this might be the ticket. Am doing a drastic fall cleaning this weekend, but will get to this one as soon as the sofa is clear off. Thanks for letting me play!

Journal Entry 8 by Agrace from Frisco, Texas USA on Tuesday, October 28, 2003

arrived in the mail today, I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 9 by Agrace from Frisco, Texas USA on Wednesday, November 19, 2003

This was an enjoyable book, though the Karl/Kurt thing was pretty weird.
I hadn't heard of the ledgend of the Wandering Jew before this either.
You can guess from my screen name that the whole grace V. works thing is pretty key in my life. This story illustrates the frustration of trying to work for something that can't be earned.

I'll get this into the mail for missJAS today.

Journal Entry 10 by missJAS from Vancouver, Washington USA on Tuesday, December 02, 2003

Received in the mail today. Will start immediately!

Journal Entry 11 by missJAS from Vancouver, Washington USA on Sunday, December 07, 2003

I enjoyed this book immensely; it is one that will stay on my mind for awhile. Thanks for the opportunity to read it.
My religious upbringing stressed the "faith without works is dead" aspect of the Bible. It seemed implied that the more you sacrificed, the more sure was your hope. The results are that people measure their righteousness by comparing themselves to others, and judging one another. Not a very spiritual place.
This isn't the first time my attention has been directed to "grace", although I can't say I really understand it yet.

I found myself uncomfortable with the rhetoric but not the moral of the story. When Asher had his opportunity to speak, it rang hollow to me...I would have seen him as a fanatic. It was the same words that you see on billboards, hear from streetcorner doomsdayers, etc. I also thought it presumptuous of him to think that he could hold up God's plans, even if it were for a noble reason. The transformation Claudia went through made me uncomfortable as well. I could identify with her proffessional persona and her spiritual struggle, but when her speech sounded like a TV evangalist I felt detached. Maybe that says more about where I am not in my own spiritual search.

On to DangerousWoman3 as soon as I obtain her address.

Thanks again, ReadNShare

Journal Entry 12 by ReadnShare from Simi Valley, California USA on Friday, March 05, 2004

This book is apparently lost. My apologies to those of you in the bookring still waiting to read it. I've contacted DangerousWoman3 and she has not received it.

Although I know there is always the risk of loss when a book travels, it's still a disappointment when it happens. I have only 5 bookrings that I've started (all good books that I had hopes of getting back) and this makes the second one lost. Those aren't very good odds. My apologies again to those of you further down on the list. If I should come across another copy I'll seriously consider registering it and will contact each of you to see if you'd still like to read it.

Journal Entry 13 by ReadnShare from Simi Valley, California USA on Monday, April 05, 2004

This book was lost enroute to Portugal and sadly it looked like the bookring had come to an end.
However, missJAS has located another copy and sent it to me in the hopes that the bookring could continue. THANK YOU so much miss JAS !!

I've been torn between registering it with a new number or using the previous number and even though I know it's a no-no, I've decided to use this same registration number for the replacement.
I've made this decision because I don't think the other book will ever surface again and I wanted those of you who have already read the book and made entries to be able to read the rest of the bookring entries. If, by some miracle, the original should ever surface again, I'll split one of the two books off into a separate registration.

Thanks again missJAS ! This will be off to DangerousWoman3 in Portugal later this week....

Journal Entry 14 by Dangerouswoman from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Received today by mail post.After reading i will put another comentary.

Journal Entry 15 by Dangerouswoman from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Tuesday, June 08, 2004

This book relates to us the story of a woman who was practising advocacy.
She was invited to work whit one organization for peace in Italy.
At first she decided to refuse the job.But after talk whit his friends and boyfriend ,he accept the place.
When she arrived to Rome, whe is fascinated whit the city.
Is work in this organization consist in analizing people for different types of works and see if they serve to the place.
After some months of work she met Asher Genzano and contracted him for translations.
Asher Genzano was the wandering jew who was chearching for the antichrist.
He was the man that been chosen for jesus christ to alive and wait for the second coming of jesus to earth.
The "Immortal" tell us the legend of the wandering jew.
Around Europe there are many verson´s about the legend of the wandering jew.And he have many different´s names according to the country and the history.
A legendary jew doomed to wander till the second coming of christ because he had taunted jesus as he passed bearing the cross, saying go on quicker.
Jesus is said to have replied, i go,but thow shalt wait til i return.
The legend appeared in a pamphlet of four leaves allaged to haver been printed at leiden in 1602.
This pamphlet relates that Paulus Von Eizen, bishop of Schleswig, had met at Hamburg in 1542 a jew named Ahasverus, who declared he was eternal and was the same who had been punished in the above mentioned manner by jesus at the time of the crucifixion.The pamphlet is supposed to have been written by Chrysostomus Dudalaeus of Westphalia and printed by one Christoff Crutzer, but as no such author or printer is known at this time the latter name indeed refers directly to the legendit has been conjeetured that the whole story is a myth invented to support the protestant contention of a continuous witness to the truth of holy writ in the person of this eternal jew;he was to form,in his way, a counter part to the aphostolic tradition of the catholic church.
The reiterated reports of the actual existence of a wandering jew, who retained in his memory the details of the crucifixion, show how the idea had fixed itself in popular imagination and found its way into the 19th century collections of German legends.
Under other names, a story very similar to that given in the pamphlet of 1602 occurs nearly 400 years earlier on english soil.According to Roger of Wendover in his flores historiarum under the year 1228, an Armenian archbishop, then visiting England,was asked by the monks of St Alban´s about the well-known Joseph of Arimathaea, who had spoken to Jesus and was said to be still alive.
The archbishop claimed to have seen him in Armenia under the name of Carthaphilus, who had confessed that he had taunted Jesus in the manner above related.
Wandering jew(legend), central figure of a legend about a jew who refused to allow Jesus Christ to rest at his door as he bore his across toward calvary.As a result, the jew was condemned by Jesus to wander over the face of the earth until his second coming.
A legend resembling this tale but not identifying the wanderer as a jew was recorded in medieval times.The wanderer became a jew in a German work of the 17th century, and thereafter the legend attained great popularity, frequently serving as a vehicle for anti-semitism.
The wandering jew has been regarded as a symbolic figure representing the wanderings and sufferings of his race.
There are very representations of the wandering jew in literature and art.
I love to read this book.He remindes me the movie of Mel Gibson about Christ an Da Vinci Code.
The movie is very strong and violent.I like but i think some scenes are exagereted and make me cry.
Perhaps Da Vinci Code isn´t a good book (in literature),but he permit to me know more things about art and religion.
He despert my curiosity in that matter and my thurst of know more things and alarged my culture.

Journal Entry 16 by Dangerouswoman at on Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Released on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 at correio in Porto, Envio Postal/Postal release Portugal.

Released for the next person in the bookring.

Journal Entry 17 by chivers from Recife, Pernambuco Brazil on Monday, October 04, 2004

got this in the mail some days ago... didn't register it before cause i'm having computer problems. going to my tbr but will be read soon.
thanks!

Journal Entry 18 by chivers from Recife, Pernambuco Brazil on Wednesday, January 05, 2005

that was my last 2004 book!!!!
i really enjoyed the read. i know it spent a lot of time with me, but i'm glad to say that it was read by me and by my father, who devoured the book!!!!
it's now going back home!!!
thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 19 by ReadnShare from Simi Valley, California USA on Friday, February 18, 2005

I actually received this book back about a week ago but forgot to make an entry .... so sorry. It is now back home with me where it will remain until/unless someone expresses an interest in reading it. Should that occur, it will be traveling once again!
Thanks everyone for your comments on the book !

Journal Entry 20 by Dangerouswoman at Encontro de bookcrossers in Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Friday, March 04, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (3/4/2005 UTC) at Encontro de bookcrossers in Porto - City, Porto Portugal

To release in the meetup of Braga!

Journal Entry 21 by ELTengaged from Vigo, Pontevedra Spain on Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Lgregorio caught it in Porto (Portugal) for me. More when I read it.