corner corner Hannay 2: Greenmantle

Hannay 2: Greenmantle
by John Buchan | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingdark-dracowing of Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on 2/13/2010

status (set by Bagpuss-Janet): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingdark-dracowing from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 13, 2010

Bought new from the local bookshelf so that I can read the whole series in order - can't wait!

Journal Entry 2 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

In this adventure, Richard Hannay and his colleagues are asked to travel into enemy lands. A rumour has reached the English intellegent services that the Germans have a plan to unite the warring factions in Turkey and the rest of Asia, using them to fight on the Russian and African fronts. Hannay must find out the truth, with only three cryptic clues to follow. He travels through Germany, to Constantinople, where he faces a formidable foe in the form of a strong, idealistic woman.

This was much more enjoyable that the first book in the series, in that it had more of an adventure story and the characters did something to keep the action going, rather than just reacting to the action. Compared to a modern thriller, it probably is a bit thin, and there are times it shows its age in the attitudes of its characters, but overall I quite liked it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingdark-dracowing at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, September 02, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (9/3/2011 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

The whole series has been sent as a RABCK - hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 4 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, September 05, 2011

Arrived in the post today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by elstaplador at Series Sampler, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (11/26/2011 UTC) at Series Sampler, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

I seem to have two copies of this one, so releasing into the Series Sampler bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 30, 2012

Taken out of the bookbox. Thanks

Journal Entry 7 by Bagpuss-Janet at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 16, 2016

The previous 'catcher' logged the book when they received it but didn't log that they'd released it. I found it in the Lions' Bookshop in Warminster today. I wouldn't have bought this if it wasn't stickered as being a Bookcrossing book, because although I've read and enjoyed a couple of books by John Buchan I usually read them on Kindle for ease of reading and because they're mostly free to download!

I will read this one and then release it and will log when I do so. :)

Journal Entry 8 by Bagpuss-Janet at Bath, Somerset United Kingdom on Saturday, March 11, 2017

I read the prequel, The Thirty-Nine Steps many years ago, and more recently read Prester John which was my Mum’s favourite book as a child. Although I enjoyed both they are rather of their time, so it’s doubtful I would have picked this up had it not been a Book Crossing book – it was released some time ago, but whoever caught it didn’t re-release it online and it was only by chance that I found in charity shop. The story is, understandably jingoistic so I can understand why it was popular upon release but I probably would have not persevered if not for Book Crossing.

Journal Entry 9 by Bagpuss-Janet at Sainsbury's in Emersons Green, Bristol United Kingdom on Saturday, March 11, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (2/17/2017 UTC) at Sainsbury's in Emersons Green, Bristol United Kingdom

inside trolley bay