corner corner Moth Smoke: A Novel

Moth Smoke: A Novel
by Mohsin Hamid | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingoppemwing of Hermiston, Oregon USA on 2/5/2010

status (set by sakirmo): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingoppemwing from Hermiston, Oregon USA on Friday, February 05, 2010

Firstly let me say - this is not my usual kind of book.. I first read "The Reluctant Fundamentalist" by same author (also not my kind of book) which was fantastic. So, got hold of a copy of "Moth Smoke".. What to say about it - this book is extremely powerful, thought provoking and in many ways disturbing. The author paints a graphic picture of a very intelligent young man growing up in Pakistan. Thanks to the patronage of a rich friend of his dead fathers he is educated in the best of schools in Lahore only to find that education is not enough.. he has no money or contacts... Slowly we see his life begin to unravel.. His fight to survive and live within the constrictions of society in Pakistan is both informative and disturbing... Definately a 'must read' in my opinion...

Journal Entry 2 by wingoppemwing at Austin, Texas USA on Monday, March 01, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (3/1/2010 UTC) at Austin, Texas USA

Sent to aetm as a 'trade' - thanks so much for trading with me - hope you enjoy this book as much as I did....

Journal Entry 3 by aetm from Austin, Texas USA on Monday, March 08, 2010

The book arrived today - perfect and thanks Oppem :)
I have also read The Reluctant Fundamentalist before and enjoyed it so this will be interesting for seeing how his other books are.

Journal Entry 4 by aetm at Austin, Texas USA on Saturday, September 18, 2010

I liked The Reluctant Fundamentalist a lot more than this one (but that's me).

From quite early in this book Darashikoh (the protagonist) doesn't seem a person I'd particularly like (I don't think all the protagonists have to be always likable but if they are also too often doing things one doesn't understand that doesn't help either). The friends he hangs out with, 'Ozi' aka Aurangzeb doesn't seem too positive either, and I don't get why they hang out together. For me the pieces start to fall together only around the middle of the story, when Mumtaz tells her story.
Most of the book is written as Darashikoh, but some small chapters are written as a rickshaw driver, as 'Ozi', as Mumtaz, and some in "you" form. There are plenty of times I hated Daru for his stupidity (no money for food but money for drugs; no money for for food or for fixing himself back to health but his windshield in the car is fixed... with what money? the way he treats his servant, and occasionally just the attitude or just about anything). The rickshaw driver is also full of himself and knows perfectly sayings in Latin (sure thing). But the worst of the switching perspectives is the "you" form. I can't read books in that angle so fortunately those chapters are tiny.
What exactly happened and what did Darahshikoh do? Before that gets solved, the story goes further back in time when 'Ozi' and 'Daru' were kids. Who was the 'good one' and who was the 'bad one'? Should I feel bad for not liking really any of the characters? Mumtaz maybe a bit, but even she did act against her inner views and suffered for it.

Time to set it free soon - reserving for a rabck. It will be interesting to see what the next readers think about the book. ---- p.s. Please try to keep this book alive and traveling for Oppem's memory (unfortunately she has passed away since this book started its journey)

Journal Entry 5 by aetm at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, September 24, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/26/2010 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Will release to Annelis in Helsinki who will figure how to courier the book to Tarna in Tampere next.
Happy RABCK and reading :)

Journal Entry 6 by engratisbok at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, October 01, 2010

I already saw this at Länsisatama mini meetup at noon last sunday and then got it on tuesday evening at Kampinhylly micro meetup and now am couriering it to local bookcrossers.

Journal Entry 7 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, October 04, 2010

Thank you, aetm! Thanks to the couriers as well.
I've read and liked .The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid, so I'm really interested in this one too.

Journal Entry 8 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, April 29, 2012

I strongly believe in first novels. They usually are better than the second or even the third one. I really liked The Reluctant Fundamentalist. Thinking of his first novel, I felt somewhat ambiguous. Could Moth Smoke be better than the following novel?
I don't know if it was. It certainly is different, I can't compare the two books.
Moth Smoke is fantastic. The narrative style is great and the story easy to follow. Hamid paints a different kind of picture of an Asian/Islamic society than we are (or I am, at least) used to. He tells about secular class society, young elite, well educated and rich people, people with power and significant social contacts etc. Lahore in Moth Smoke isn't really that much different from any Western city. The book opened my eyes in a way, it widened my view of Pakistan, of Asia and of Muslim countries.
oppem says Moth Smoke is thought provoking and disturbing. I agree. There's a lot I don't understand in this book. I kept thinking the names, for instance, are loaded somehow and I don't see it. I also felt there might be another story between the lines but I couldn't read it. Yet I enjoyed the novel very much. It is one of the best books I've read this year.
Thank you so much for sharing it with me, oppem and aetm! I've got the net reader in my mind. For the time being, Moth Smoke is reserved.

Mohsin Hamid homepage
Mohsin Hamid at Wikipedia

Journal Entry 9 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, June 08, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/9/2012 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Have great time at the All-Finland Summer Meet-Up in Tampere. Enjoy both the book & summer!

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, June 10, 2012

This was one of the many wishlist books Tarna had kindly left for me at the Finnish summer convention. Thank you so much! I feel so spoiled :)

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

What an interesting, thought-provoking and eye-opening read this was! I could copy Tarna's entry word for word. (I haven't read The Reluctant Fundamentalist yet, though, so I can't compare the two.) This book gave me, too, another, different kind of view into Pakistan - very different from all the other books set in Pakistan I've read. Recommended reading!

***
And next off to soozreader as a wishlist tag game book. Sorry for taking so long!

Journal Entry 12 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Thank you very much for this wishlist book! :)

Journal Entry 13 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Friday, May 23, 2014

This really wasn't an easy read and because of my own state of mind, at first it was quite difficult for me to get into the story...But this is definitely a worthwhile book to read! I think it was interesting how the story was told from many different perspectives and how it showed that the division between good and evil is not always so straightforward...

Journal Entry 14 by wingSoozreaderwing at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 23, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (5/23/2014 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

The book is on its way to the next reader as a part of the wishlist tag-game! Happy Reading!:)

Journal Entry 15 by ruzena at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Thanks a lot, Soozreader!

18.6.2017

Excellent read! And even though taking place in a distant country and in foreign cultures, it is - for a change - not a story about "cultural differencies", but about universal political themes. The text is written with quick wits, but the story is carefully constructed and thought-provoking.

-ruzena

Journal Entry 16 by ruzena at hippa, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 19, 2017

Released 5 mos ago (6/19/2017 UTC) at hippa, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Wishlist hippa!

Journal Entry 17 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, June 20, 2017

The book is here, many thanks!!