corner corner The Darling Buds of May (different cover)

The Darling Buds of May (different cover)
by H.E. Bates | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingBoekentrolwing of Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on 2/3/2010

status (set by hippolein): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Synopsis:
"Home looks nice. Allus does though, don't it? Perfick' And so the Larkins - Pop, Ma, Mariette, Zinnia, Petunia, Primrose, Victoria and Montgomery - return from an outing for fish and chips and ice cream one May evening. There, amid the rustic charms of home, they discover a visitor: one Cedric Charlton, Her Majesty's inspector of taxes. Mr Charlton is visiting to find out why junk-dealer Pop hasn't paid his tax - but nothing's that simple at the Larkins. Mariette takes a shine to 'Charley' - as Pop calls him - and before long the family have introduced the uncomplaining inspector to the delights of country living: the lusty scents of wild flowers, the pleasures of a bottle of Dragon's Blood, cold cream dribbled over a bowl of strawberries and hot, hot summer nights. In fact, soon Charley can't see any reason to return to the office at all ..."

Journal Entry 2 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, February 03, 2010

This is a wish list book for a fellow BC'er as winner of a sweepstake. Congrtulations!! I hope you like it and have fun reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (2/4/2010 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

Congratulations!! Hope you like the surprise :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingSoozreaderwing from Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Thank you very much for the book, I love the Larkins stories!:)

Journal Entry 5 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Saturday, January 22, 2011

What can I say, just love the Larkins and their stories! They always make me smile! Was a very lovely read as always, just over too quickly:D Just perfick!

Journal Entry 6 by wingSoozreaderwing at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/25/2011 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

This one will travel to the winner of a sweepstake:) Congratulations and I hope you'll enjoy this as much as I did!

Journal Entry 7 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, January 27, 2011

I must admit, I have never before heard of the Larkins ... I know, shame on me! ;) But it does look like something I would like. And thanks for the CD as well. Finnish metal has a great reputation around these parts. Big hugs and kisses from Belgium!

08/09/11 Edit: I have promised this book to Hippolein in the wislist-tag-game.

Journal Entry 8 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Saturday, September 17, 2011

This is a perfectly wonderful little book.It is just beaming with the most positive attitude you'll ever come across. It made me smile and dream of my own little house to be, with its beautiful garden and cherrytrees, peartrees and other delicious fruit ripe for the picking.
Thanks for sending it to me Soozreader, I enjoyed it a lot!

Journal Entry 9 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (10/5/2011 UTC) at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

This book is on its way to hippolein as part of the wishlist-tag-game. I hope you'll enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 10 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, October 07, 2011

The Larkins seem to be travelling a lot between countries with the same languages spoken ;)
The came back to Finland today, arrived at Helsinki this time. We're both very happy with this first book in the series and are looking forward to reading it, great fans as we were of the TV-series...