corner corner Black Dust Dancing

Black Dust Dancing
by Tracy Crisp | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Arrietty of Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, February 02, 2010

status (set by BibliophileOz): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Arrietty from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, February 02, 2010

I've just bought this book from Imprints bookshop and realise that I know the author from way back. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 2 by Arrietty from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Finished the book last night just in time to take to Bookcrossing meeting tomorrow.

I really thought it was a good read especially well written for a first time writer. The writing reminded me a little of Carol Shields - Canadian Writer who has won many awards. The writing is never cliched which is often the case with new writers, and the main characters, although troubled and complex have strengh and depth. The point of view often moves between the 2 main female characters and this can be distracting but it is never confusing. Each character is immediately recognisable by her individual style of thinking and this is a hard enough skill in itself for the author to portray but it works.

This is a story that evolves without having any background. The reader learns the background as she goes along. It's a book without a definite ending and it leaves alot of answered questions. But that is not the point. I think the author is looking at the ephemeral aspect of existence. The book is about mental health, disease, death, life and loneliness and how these shape the characters, but these are not its central theme. It's mainly about individual coming up against the rough and tumble of life and each finding ways of surviving and coping.

An easy read but by no means simple.

Journal Entry 3 by running-gal from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Monday, February 15, 2010

Picked up at February Meetup

Journal Entry 4 by sgjim at Caffé Amore - 162 Pulteney Street in Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/8/2012 UTC) at Caffé Amore - 162 Pulteney Street in Adelaide, South Australia Australia

Running gal has taken off on a year long trip around Australia, and left this book (and quite a few others) with me to share around, so I'll be releasing it at the monthly Adelaide BookCrossing meet-up (where we meet to swap books and so on) for May 2012!

Journal Entry 5 by wingromneywing at Semaphore, South Australia Australia on Sunday, May 13, 2012

Picked up at meetup. Will go on TBR pile for now.

Journal Entry 6 by wingromneywing at Semaphore, South Australia Australia on Sunday, June 24, 2012

I agree with what Arrietty says about the writing style - but I didn't really like the story at all! I think I needed for there to be a conclusion at the end of the book. I just got tot he end and thought "So????" The story seemed to have no purpose to me!

Journal Entry 7 by wingromneywing at Cafe Amore in Adelaide, Meet-up -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/10/2012 UTC) at Cafe Amore in Adelaide, Meet-up -- Controlled Releases

I hope this book makes someone's day. If it's not your kind of read, journal it, pass it on and join in the fun of watching books you have touched travel the world!

Journal Entry 8 by BibliophileOz at Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

No-one wanted this at the MeetUp tonight so I took it for the Great Book Swap.

UPDATE 30/7
This was picked up at the Norwood Community Markets on Saturday 28/7/12. An adorable 4 year old boy wanted to get his mummy a surprise gift to welcome her home from Canberra.