corner corner Cigarettes

Cigarettes
by Harry Mathews | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingdavemurray101wing of Granville, New South Wales Australia on 2/2/2010

status (set by NXS-581865): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingdavemurray101wing from Granville, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Fiction. Available again, along with TLOOTH, as part of Dalkey Archive's American Literature Series, CIGARETTES has been called "A brilliant and unsettling book ..." -- Tom Clark, Los Angeles Times Book Review. It is a novel about the rich and powerful, tracing their complicated relationships from the 1930s to the 1960s, from New York City to Upper New York State. "CIGARETTES has the delicate yet rigorous architecture of latticework: if we concentrate on the light streaming through its apertures we are still attentive to its carpentry; if we focus on its geometry the light is, of needs, a constant presence. It is a triumph of the imagination" -- Gilbert Sorrentino.

Journal Entry 2 by wingdavemurray101wing from Granville, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 02, 2010

A truly amazing and twisted book. Who knew that a book with insurance salesmen could be so intriguing. Especially the character of Oliver. Well worth a read and I'm now going to share it with as many people in the bookcrossing public as possible.

Journal Entry 3 by wingdavemurray101wing from Granville, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Now a 1001 INTL bookring, participants so far:

7. Caroley (UK)
8. Icila (Fra)
9. Cat207 (Au)
10. Makita21 (AU)

Journal Entry 4 by wingdavemurray101wing at A Controlled Release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 11, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (2/11/2010 UTC) at A Controlled Release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

posted to pinkydinky of wiltshire this afternoon

Journal Entry 5 by pinkydinky on Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dropped through my letterbox today. Thanks Davemurray101. Will read this as soon as I have finished my current book. Thanks for the postcard too. It makes me want summer even more now!

Journal Entry 6 by pinkydinky on Monday, March 01, 2010

I really enjoyed this book. Each chapter dealt with the relationship between two characters but also brought in some of the others. Each chapters tied up with bits from other chapters. Certainly a fair few dysfunctional relationships amongst the fourteen characters. Would recommend to anyone.

Journal Entry 7 by pinkydinky on Wednesday, March 03, 2010

On it's way to Kingfan30 today.

Journal Entry 8 by kingfan30 from -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 05, 2010

book has arrvid safe and sound, thanks for including me x

19 March 10 - Did not get on as well with this book as I thought. I like the idea about each chapter exploring the different relationships between two of the characters but as I read through, I found it hard to remember how each character was related to others I had already read about. I have Lucy-Lemons address so will post it out Monday.

Journal Entry 9 by kingfan30 at Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, March 22, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (3/22/2010 UTC) at Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom

On its way to lucy-lemon.

Journal Entry 10 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ooh, looking forward to reading this one! Hopefully will get it read asap.

Journal Entry 11 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, April 30, 2010

Hmmm. I did like this book quite a lot - some characters more than others. I thought the format was really interesting, but I would have liked more on some characters.

I've PMed the next person, so it should be on it's way soon. Thanks for sharing Dave.

Journal Entry 12 by MartinaViola from Latina, Lazio Italy on Saturday, May 22, 2010

The book arrived right now! :D
I have a few rings ahead and I hope it won't take me too long to get to this one!

Journal Entry 13 by MartinaViola at Latina, Lazio Italy on Sunday, July 25, 2010

Unfortunately I haven't finished reading it: the language sometimes is too difficult for me to understand even if I easily read and appreciated a lot of pages.

I think it's impossible to understand it completely without knowing the work of George Perec.

The book is already packed and will be on its way to ruzena very soon.
Thank you Dave for sharing it!

Journal Entry 14 by ruzena at Hämeenlinna, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Sunday, August 22, 2010

Thank you for sending the book (and a cool Terminator postcard). It has arrived during my holiday, so maybe the JE is delayed. Reading soon...

Journal Entry 15 by ruzena at Hämeenlinna, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Friday, September 17, 2010

To me, the writer was a new acquaintance, and a very interesting one. The book is skillful - its structure, its language, its themes, and its world.
The reading was slow for me too, as Mathews’ vocabulary is so smart and rich that a non-native English reader must use a lot of intuition, if not a dictionary. The book still was enjoyable along the way, as each chapter was a compact story itself. And in addition, the episodes also made up a complete whole.
A peculiar feature (and for me, very acceptable) was the economic quality of the text: deeds, motions, motives, talk and thoughts all the time, but hardly any descriptions to wear the reader out :)
Another peculiarity was the use of several characters of equal weight and no one to right away identify with. I found Elizabeth most fascinating, everyone having passion for her, whether she was genuine or false, human or illusion, living or dead, or living dead. - The last chapter was so beautiful.
- ruzena

Thank you, davemurray and others!

Journal Entry 16 by ruzena at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 17, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/17/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On the road again :)

Journal Entry 17 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, September 23, 2010

The book arrived yesterday and I will begin reading soon, as in true bookcrossing tradition I've had 3 bookray's arrive at once xx

Journal Entry 18 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I really enjoyed this book and the interconnected relationships between all of the characters. Some of the characters I didn't like, such as Phoebe; she was far too self centered for my liking. I really liked the Maud and Elizabeth chapter though and it tied up a few loose ends for me.

I'll get this posted out ASAP, thanks si much for sharing xx

Journal Entry 19 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, December 04, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (12/4/2010 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Off to the next in line. Sorry for the delay in posting but the snow is being a little disruptive. Thanks for sharing and I hope all readers enjoy the book xx

Journal Entry 20 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, December 10, 2010

Received today thanks.

Journal Entry 21 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, January 07, 2011

Having just finished this, I still can't decide if I liked it or not. Some chapters I was really enjoying but then when they finished and a new chapter/relationship started, I felt as if I was starting from scratch again. I didn't particularly like a couple of the chapters and I sometimes had to flick back through the book to remind myself how characters related to each other.
I enjoyed it more towards the end of the book, I think, as it came together more, but overall I'd say it was just ok.

Thanks for sharing the book Dave though. I'm always happy for the chance to experience new books and to cross another one off the 1001 list.

I've PMd Icila and will get the book moving again asap.

Journal Entry 22 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (1/18/2011 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted airmail to Icila.

Journal Entry 23 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, January 24, 2011

Arrived safe this morning. Thanks !

Journal Entry 24 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, March 07, 2011

Difficult not to be lost with all the intricated characters but very interesting in the end when I get a whole understanding. Brilliant writing.

Journal Entry 25 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, March 12, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (3/12/2011 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Sydney. In care of "La poste".

Journal Entry 26 by cat207 at Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Monday, March 28, 2011

Collected from the post office yesterday. It smells smoky and customs must have thought there was something 'fishy' about it 'cause the parcel had been opened for inspection.

Thanks Icila for sending and Dave for sharing.

Journal Entry 27 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Smoky ? ... Like Cigarettes ? :D

Journal Entry 28 by cat207 at Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Exactly! I wonder what it got up to on it's two week journey...

Journal Entry 29 by cat207 at Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, April 10, 2011

Definitely an unusual one. I would love to see the portrait of Elizabeth that was the focus of so much of the story.

I've PMed Makita21 and await an address.

Journal Entry 30 by cat207 at Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, April 10, 2011

Got an address. Heading off in tomorrow's mail.

Journal Entry 31 by NXS-581865 at Stawell, Victoria Australia on Saturday, April 16, 2011

thanks, arrived safely :)

Update 21.10.11
It was an intruiging story with many twists and turns, enjoyable read.

Journal Entry 32 by NXS-581865 at Stawell Country Show in Stawell, Victoria Australia on Friday, October 21, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (10/22/2011 UTC) at Stawell Country Show in Stawell, Victoria Australia

This book is taking part in the 2011 Rugby World Cup Release Challenge and represents the US.

To the finder of this book:

Congratulations! You have not only found yourself a book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other & the world at large.

I hope that you will write a journal entry letting me know that the book has been found. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. Happy reading!

You can always remain anonymous but if you are interested in joining please consider using Makita21 as your referrer.