corner corner Medicine Chest Book Box

Medicine Chest Book Box
by Various | Other
Registered by wingJudySlump612wing of Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on 2/1/2010

status (set by JudySlump612): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingJudySlump612wing from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, February 01, 2010

Welcome to the Medicine Chest bookbox, and thank you for signing up! Here is the list of starting books:

The Magic Bullet
The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat
Flu
All Things Bright and Beautiful
All Creatures Great and Small

And here is the shipping order:

jlautner, California
hyphen8, Hawaii
svoight, Tennessee
Ri, Ohio
azuki, Florida
JudySlump612, Minnesota

You have all proved that you know, and follow, the rules on book boxes, so the only points I'll add here are:

- Please do use and post Delivery Confirmation Numbers. They give everyone peace of mind, and protect you.

- Because two members were honest and upfront about their likely need for more time, I'm relaxing the turnaround on mailing this box out, to a month if necessary. If you feel you need more than a month, please PM me so I'll know what's going on.

- Lots of us are in constant tension between our urge to acquire more books, and panic about the size of our Mt. TBR. So I propose the new "elastic" book box. You may add one less, or one more (if there's room) book than you remove, at your pleasure.

I hope you all enjoy this box, and I look forward to seeing what I get back when it returns. Best wishes to you all!

- JudySlump612

Journal Entry 2 by wingJudySlump612wing at Bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 01, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (2/1/2010 UTC) at Bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Sent media mail today
DCN 0309 0330 0002 0116 1063

Journal Entry 3 by wingjlautnerwing from San Luis Obispo, California USA on Saturday, February 06, 2010

The box arrived today! Thank you for including a journal. I find it really difficult to track book boxes through forum entries alone. I will do my best to select and replace and get this on the road again quickly!

Journal Entry 4 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (2/8/2010 UTC) at San Luis Obispo, California USA

Sent to hyphen8.

USPS tracking no.9102150134711050363066

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, February 26, 2010

Well, media mail to Hawaii took just about its standard 3 weeks to Hawaii; I received the box today.

19 pounds and 22 books...wow. I wouldn't want it to be too much bigger than this! :)

JudySlump612, I love the cute way you did the journal, and the red blood cell is adorable!

It will take me a little while to figure out what I'm taking and what's going into the box, but I'll try to get it moving again as soon as possible. If I get them registered in time, some of the books I received today might make it into this box.

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, March 08, 2010

This box is scheduled to head out for Tennessee tomorrow. I'll post the DC number here once it's in the system.

I'm taking out 9 books:

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks
All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot
Contagion by Robin Cook

And putting in 10:

The Silent Stars Go By by James White (not a Sector General book)
Dead Men Do Tell Tales by William Maples and Michael Browning * non-fiction
The Midwife _and_ The Midwife's Advice, both by Gay Courter
An Anthropologist on Mars by Oliver Sacks * non-fiction
Dr. Death by Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware series)
Bio Rescue by S.L. Viehl (not part of the Stardoc series)
Why Do Men Have Nipples by Mark Leyner & Billy Goldberg * non-fiction
Unnatural Death by Michael Baden * non-fiction
Prostho Plus by Piers Anthony

..so that includes 3 SF plus 4 non-fiction and hopefully a pretty good mix.

I had some more James White and more Robin Cook that I could've added, but I didn't want to make the box too heavy on any one author, so I put in some of the others instead.

I also have a bunch of books that would've qualified for this box if I'd only gotten them read in time, so if this box eventually does a second round, please count me in. :)

Journal Entry 7 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (3/8/2010 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Box mailed to Tennessee today: 19 pounds, 23 books.

Delivery Confirmation Label/Receipt Number: 0309 3220 0001 0235 4613

Update 3/23: Whee. After two weeks, this box has made it as far as California. Definitely not a *fast* boat...but at least it's moving.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbookstogivewing from Springville, Tennessee USA on Friday, March 26, 2010

The box has arrived in Tennessee! That was quick from California. It is full of great looking books none of which I have read before! I will make my selections this weekend and the box should be moving again on Monday.

Journal Entry 9 by wingbookstogivewing from Springville, Tennessee USA on Friday, March 26, 2010

Ok I made my selections and I am removing these 7:

How to Solve a Murder by Michael Kurland
The Best Doctor Jokes Ever
For the Rest of My Life by Dr. Harry Kraus
The Fifth Vial by Michael Palmer
The Fever by Diane Hoh (this is a YA book)
The Synapse Function by M. Jay Livingston
The Sisterhood by Michael Palmer
Death Rounds by Peter Clement
Caring by Annette Swackhamer R. N.
Nurses by Marcia Rose

I have received the next address so this box will be going out on Monday, I will post the DC# shortly.
Thanks for letting me play Doctor!

DC#9102128882300079150840

Journal Entry 10 by wingbookstogivewing at Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Saturday, March 27, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (3/27/2010 UTC) at Cincinnati, Ohio USA

Released to the next in line, thanks and enjoy!

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!)

Journal Entry 11 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Monday, April 05, 2010

Well, happily, this arrived on Friday, however I was out for the count with tonsillitis and expecting my sister's family of 6 to be arriving that same day. I set the box aside until I finally had a free moment to open it. I'm feeling almost back at full steam and my house is now guest free (but still active with a 1 and 2 year old!), so time to dig in to the box! I hope to get my selections done today or tomorrow, but I will probably not be able to send it until after the weekend. We are headed to Columbus on Wednesday to get our house there ready to sell. Hubby was moved for work 2 years ago and friends were renting our dream house, but bought a house of their own with the bonus tax credit, so we are selling off the house as we have no idea if and when we will move back to Columbus. This whole post seems a bit preposterous to me since my life is usually so quiet! It just happened that the box arrived at a crazy time! Having said all that, It will be on its merry way next week as I already have azuki's address. Now, I wonder if I have time to squeeze in some more reading of a few of these books...

ETA 4/26/10: Sorry I've had this longer than planned. I am trying to read through a few books to include in the box! It will be moving again soon. :)

I took out
The Fifth Vial
The Flu Pandemic
An Anthropologist from Mars

I added:
The Girls by Lori Lansens
Tales from the Frontal Lobe by Katarina Kirtlik
The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian

Journal Entry 12 by Ri at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, May 01, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (5/1/2010 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This 21 lb box is on its way to Azuki! Happy travels!

Delivery confirmation # 0310 0480 0000 8764 2946

Journal Entry 13 by wingazukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, May 06, 2010

This very hefty medicine chest has arrived. Actually I found it on my doorstep yesterday when I headed to work, but I was working some crazy schedule due to some big wig visit (I am sure Ri has some idea what it is like), so I didn't get to open it till now. I have to say the knowledge of this box waiting for me at home makes my work day a lot more pleasant.

I have taken out a few I am interested in, and as some books look bored in the box, and I have extra books to trade, I will take them for wild releasing.

And I wonder who puts in the red blood cell? It's totally cute and I love Giant Microbes (http://www.giantmicrobes.com/). Is it like a box mascot?

I am going out of town tomorrow for a mini getaway, but next week when I get back I will journal, pack the box and mail it back to Judy.

Journal Entry 14 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Friday, May 28, 2010

Sorry to have kept this book longer than intented, but it seems to like visiting people at a chaotic time.

So I went on a mini getaway, then my car got broken into, and while it was not much financial loss (insurance covers the window) the aftermath (repair, replace driver license, etc.) used up my free time that week. Also, I decided, and as Judy suggested, to take out some of the books that started the box. Now they go bitten by the wandering bug they are reluctant to return to Minnesota. ; D So I took a few days to read up more books to replace the ones I take out.

And finally, when I gather all the books in front of the computer, guess what happened? BC website goes beta. Needless to say, chaotic doesn't quite describe it.

But now, I am happy to say, the box is ready to go home. Thanks Judy for arranging the box. I'd love to participate in the next round, after signing up I found I do have quite a few books that fit, and still have some on my TBR. I like especially the nonfiction stuff and definitely would like to see more of those.

Here's the list of books that wishes to stay in Florida.

The Nurses

And Putting in:
True Blue
Flesh and Blood
The Face
Dr. Death (making his second appearance in the box!)
A Map of the Child
Stiff
The Coma
Fever
Voluntary Madness
The Secret Lives of Doctors' Wives
George's Marvelous Medicine

And the super cute red blood cell Giant Microbe. I've been wanting once of those microbes since I saw them in a store. Huge thanks to whoever put it in.

Journal Entry 15 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, June 28, 2010

Thanks to you all for participating! This went just perfectly, and I'm very happy with the entries written in the little journal, and the many interesting books I got back. I look forward to sharing books with you again, either in another book box, or in person someday.